1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infinity Defiance, the new game from Corvus Belli

Discussion in 'General' started by Koni, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Marc C

Marc C Cardboard Hero

Consider me intrigued.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  2. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Do you think it had any influence? Or just coincidence? Because CB position was against IIRC... OTOH, they were also against outsourcing miniatures... and then Aristeia (plastic, but miniatures still).

As for marketing... market... board games and metal... hmmm... well, maybe going after Nakamura Tower space while OOP. Releasing single part, or at least simple parts, would help acceptance (and not new, more back to the roots, which could also spread into main Infinity and moderate prices... remember those blister with 2-3 models, each one part).

3. Splod

Splod Well-Known Member

Have you really experienced BSG if you haven't spaced an innocent?

Or had a Cylon appointed to the rank of Pres-Admirable?

4. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

I played BSG only once and unless we've played it wrong (I played with veterans, so I hope not, because it was epic), I got to be a Cylon by chance, got jailed, spaced my major and very innocent adversary under the pretense of being a Cylon and then became "president". All from jail.

:D

The Red Duke likes this.
  5. Luisjoey

Luisjoey High Marshall of Wotan
    Warcor

I really want this proyect to be at my home... soon!

im a big fan of dungeoncrawling without master games! make a good IA! suprise me! dont make a Blackstone dull fortress! take a peek on earth reborn that it´s a infinity boardgame; dont make another imperial assault clone please.

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  6. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Very much agree with this.

Seems a bit dirty to have models needed for Infinity as part of the Defiance game, though. OK, I'm not totally sold on the utility of a Yan Huo MHMG, but I think most Shas players are going to want to get Defiance just for the Taigha.

Another issue is launching a KS before Christmas, that's a poor time historically, it will reduce overall funding pretty significantly.

DaRedOne, AdmiralJCJF and Luisjoey like this.
  7. DustGod

DustGod Well-Known Member

A happy middle ground would be nice but Gloomhaven is really deep man like 40 lb box deep...

Stormygeddon likes this.
  8. Marduck

Marduck Well-Known Member

Seems like a great idea to me ! Can't wait to see what the proto will look like.

Keep control of your production with metal minis, get to the board game market with KS campaign ! Sounds like a great plan !

The only issue I can forsee is that board gamers aren't ... hoobist. That's probably a reason of the failure of Star Wars Legion for exemple (they wanted to attract new people to the hooby and failed, at least in France). So that would be good if the miniatures come together as one or max two pieces. If more it might deter some players. Ho and some plastic storage unit in the box (like zombicide fore ex) would be great. :yum:

9. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

The difference between regular pre-orders and a kickstarter is a bit more than just a self-reinforcing hype cycle.
    I’m just thinking of what an Ogre pre-order box set would have looked like, compared to what Ogre Kickstarter-edition (with add on carrying bag) ended up at.

The trick for that sort of thing is not to consume all of the demand for the product during the Kickstarter period.

10. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's actually what really killed the Robotech Tactics game. With the KS extras, I had just about all I needed to play, so a backer didn't really need to buy more models.

And everyone who wanted the game backed the KS.

11. Chikahiro

Chikahiro Well-Known Member

I'm quite looking forward to this. I've gotten a good number of my friends to play Aristeia and they quite like it. From what they're telling me, the games are popular on their streaming channel too! I've never played a dungeon crawl board game before except for Dungeon back when I was a kid, so this sounds interesting.

12. itsuncertainwho

itsuncertainwho Well-Known Member

Palladium is what killed the Robotech Kickstarter, but otherwise I agree with this. Except for never receiving the extras.

A Kickstarter is going to destroy retail sales for the game. Many stores won't want to carry it because anyone in their area who wants it is likely to have backed it.

Golem2God, xagroth and chromedog like this.
  13. Balewolf

Balewolf It's all opinion

Yeah, but that's 40lbs of content, which gets released slowly, over time. It's not 40lbs of rules that you have to consume from the start. Each little foray is fun and still feels significant.

DustGod likes this.
  14. Postmortem

Postmortem Kazak Arachnophile

Initial rush retail sales $ will go directly to CB, which is not a bad thing. If the game is good, it will have a good retail shelf life with expansions, people who missed the boat, new players, growth of Infinity, and growth of Aresteia.

From a positive perspective, retail will not have to devote a ton of space to a game they are unsure will sell. If the KS is popular, they can get a couple copies and load up on expansions.

I am not a fan of KS myself, but I am excited enough about the game that I am willing to overlook my distaste for the chosen platform. They need my money up front to develop/manufacture the game? So be it.

15. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

Ay-men. When it comes to bad management, the "P" are about at the top of the list. From not paying people agreed rates (if at all) down the chain. If an gaming project has links to them or to Kev, I'm going to give it a very wide berth.

16. DustGod

DustGod Well-Known Member

I trust CB with my money up front you know what I mean?
    And I'm pretty sure because it's a Kickstarter we going to get a few extras for our money too.. what do they say "bang for your buck"
    I'm sure they'll sell expansion characters I'm positive that the expansion characters attached to the kickstarter besides the four you see in the picture...

My Hope Is that it's not too simple and not too complex. a long campaign system that I don't get burnt out playing... and a nice diverse group of characters...
    I just finished all my Pano purchases I pre-ordered Spiral Corps... I got a couple more things to purchase for them and I'll save the rest of my money for Kickstarter at the end of the year unless some godlevel release happens

17. Cartographer

Cartographer Well-Known Member

The trick with KS is to not have all your ideas as stretch goals, the majority of your market getting everything they could ever want in one hit is a death knell for the product down the line. Make sure the KS rewards are mostly exclusive, but follow them up with "retail" versions (much as CB already does through arm swaps) and they'll ensure both their existing customers have a reward and new customers aren't missing out.

18. Stormygeddon

Stormygeddon Well-Known Member

Best things to get right about Defiance:
    • The miniatures. Make sure they're distinct in silhouette and tone down the stuff Infinity models tend to get made fun of (Tactical rocks and combat heels mostly). Experiment with more non-humanoid models to really sell the sci-fi element.
    • The Yu Jing Heavy Model. He must shoot. He must Tank. He must be glorious.
    • Obstacles, cover, and furnishing for the board.
    • Cards. Keep them few, mostly for references. Don't rely too much on them. Card mechanics are annoying.
    • The board. I expect an abuse of Hexagon tiles and modular terrain, but don't get too obsessed with disastrously long modular tiles that get built up to expand into areas than can reasonably be accommodated by earthly tables. I don't want people with back problems to lean too much.
    • The Box and Book art. Very much the first thing people see, and the key to marketing the game. Don't skimp out on it, bring out your best. Make it a magnanimous sight to behold. Something I'd want to hang up on my wall.
    • Clear miniature Assembly. As much as I'd love some modularity and customizable weapons options, I understand the two/three pieces from Aristeia have been great and you gotta make sure it's friendly to neophytes.
    • Drama with dice. I don't want to optimize my stuff with spreadsheets, but also not feel like a slave to my dice. Find the balance. Reliable, but open to variation. I don't want to roll my movement every game. Dice mechanics in regular Infinity seems very well done IMO (with the exception of one infamous rule).
    • The Close Combat character(s). Get the "peasantry" who want to do melee every game hooked while the more balanced players take the patrician's choice.
    • Expansions. Not too distant between each other, but also it'd be great if the best way to expand Defiance was to simply buy another box of Defiance.

19. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

*chuckles in McMurder*

eciu likes this.
  20. Cartographer

Cartographer Well-Known Member

"The Best thing about Heroquest is the Barbarian!"

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation