1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daedalus Fall

Discussion in 'News' started by Ben Kenobi, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Pen-dragon

Pen-dragon Deva

Neko Oyama, and Valkyrie would like to have a word with you.

2. ThananRollice

ThananRollice Your Friendly Neighborhood Locust
    Warcor

Konstantinos is very small and lithe as well.

eciu likes this.
  3. Abrilete

Abrilete Well-Known Member

A step in the right direction, I hope we see more sculpts like that.

Robock, Confusion, Modock and 3 others like this.
  4. MikeTheScrivener

MikeTheScrivener O-12 Peace Kepper

Don't act like if these guys weren't sculpted today they wouldn't be the hulking Adonis' we've come to know and love.

BLOODGOD, Section9 and AdmiralJCJF like this.
  5. Icchan

Icchan Well-Known Member

I assembled the Spiral pack today and noticed that Tohaa women are at least as big or even bigger than their male counterparts. I've noticed this before (Rasail box) but thought it was only an anomaly, but it seems to be the rule rather than an exception.
    More of this CB please, it's awesome.

Kriza Borac on the other I'm convinced is printed in the wrong scale. He would happily fit on a 25mm base and almost half as tall as the new Kiel-Saan, his head only reaches about halfway to Kiel-Saan's chest. Or maybe Kriza Borac is female so that's why it's small…?

6. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

Posing is a big factor. Those two Securitate women seem like they would be very close to the same size if the black-haired one was actually standing up straight.

7. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

Fair.

'though hopefully Valkyrie at least will buck that trend, and we can see from the Securitate example above that it's not totally universal in the existing range.

I'd love to see some MORE well built fighting women however.

Yep, it's annoying as hell.

And, given correctly scaled digital weapon assets are available, it's not subjective but objective to call scaling lazy.

I accept it's an artistic choice, but that doesn't change my opinion that it's a bad one.

Mob of Blondes likes this.
  8. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

Anyway, it's not like the rest of the entertainment industry doesn't make the same mistakes. Alison Brie and Scarlett Johansson, I'm looking at you; why is Captain America (or even Hawkeye) hyper jacked up but Captain Marvel can't even run properly?

#848 Benkei, Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  9. Tourniquet

Tourniquet TJC Tech Support

This may be due to them being non-human (which is cool and interesting if that is the case), if you look a lot of animal species here on earth you'll find that a lot of the time the female on average will be larger than the male with humans and a handful of other species being the opposite to this.

Though a lot of infinity sculpts seem to exaggerate this, but what do you expect for a game based on a manga/comic book style aesthetic.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  10. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Not for everyone.

Hey, one of the ladies I went to school with in Japan was my height. 180cm(!). Rather slender, but still very tall even by American standards.

Neko and Konstantinos both date from the second generation of truescale 28mm sculpts, they are shorter than current CAD-sculpt line infantry. If they were sculpted today they wouldn't be so small.

xagroth likes this.
  11. Confusion

Confusion Well-Known Member

I believe @BLOODGOD was referring to the sizes of Infinity miniatures rather than actual human beings. Some of us are expressing a desire to see the miniature range better reflect the individual variability in human appearance that you have observed.

xagroth likes this.
  12. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Economic needs: inside a 4 models of the same unit box the sizes will be 2-2, because of costs. Looking at the photos mentioned, and we could look for more, it would be possible to see that size difference within the same box only shows when there is no 2nd model of one of the four.

Still, I hope that models that have no reason to be uniformally tall/small (this trend is OK in artificial bodies like those of Aleph, Hollow men, etc...) will have different heights and builds when we get to blisters and the lone model in the "pack" (for example, the Grenzer in the Securitates SWC box, or the 3rd securitate in the box).

13. gregmurdock

gregmurdock Extremely Beloved Member

lol I was like why does she run so funny and I realized she wasn't wearing shoes but then she gets her boots back and nothing changes.

But if we want to talk about moving funny, just watch any Timothy Oliphant movie with an extended walking scene.

14. BLOODGOD

BLOODGOD Vampire Hunter

Thanks for pointing these out! Those are good examples of what I'd like to see CB do. It's hard to tell in those shots, but the guns might even be the right size!

Most of my problems come from box sets, especially HI, where there are two female and two male bodies. I haven't see one of those types in a long time (maybe since they moved to digital sculpting?) where I haven't thought "ugh, that looks ridiculous."

15. BLOODGOD

BLOODGOD Vampire Hunter

I'm not sure a character really counts. Male/female HI box sets just look ludicrous these days, and it doesn't seem like that will get fixed any time soon, which bums me out (and makes me avoid buying models I was originally excited for **cough** IA starter **cough**).

AdmiralJCJF and Benkei like this.
  16. Pen-dragon

Pen-dragon Deva

True, but I think this is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situations. If they did create a more natural variation in body types, some posters (different ones than the ones that want to see variation) would probably start clamoring about CB's inability to do consistent scales. I have seen complaints on this very forum about Neko's size. Yes the sculpt is short and small, but I feel like it still fits within the possible range of human variation, yet it still gets called out

Also how much variation is there really among the armed forces? I assume, all the soldiers deployed to hot zones are going to be pretty physically fit. I also bet having a small variation in body types makes it easier for the supply officers. I have a cousin who is a fighter pilot, and I know they had to do an expensive modification to his plane so his 6'2" physique would fit. Not too mention too much variation could actually be detrimental to some troopers performing their job. I would bet there aren't many 6'6" 400lb submariners. I doubt the Fiday's impersonation devices would do anything to help a 7'1" Shaquille O'neal pass unnoticed.

On another note, yes realistically the female HI's armor would be just as bulky as the men's, but also realistically the number of females capable of meeting the physical requirements of some of these elite units would be so small that there would likely be no need for female sculpts. Or we can pretend that PH is an amalgamation of strength, toughness, speed, and agility, and assume that what the females lack in strength and toughness they make up for with speed and agility, and their armor is designed to work with their strengths (light and flexible as possible.)

But again, everyone is going to have their preferences and are not likely going to be swayed by any arguments. So in the end, buy what you like, and don't buy what you don't.

RAF, A Mão Esquerda and AdmiralJCJF like this.
  17. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Neko is the smallest I would accept in the range of normal human variation, actually.

If you assume the current male Domaru to be about 6'/180cm (I know that's not exact), Saito is barely 5'/150cm tall. That's within the range of variation I saw when I was in Japan, and it correlated to eating habits of the parents when the kid was young. Traditional Japanese diet meant a small adult, western diet meant a tall adult.

I stood in the upper third of the heightline in boot camp, and I'm right at 6'/180cm tall. The shortest guys (we kept the men and women separated during training) were about 5'/150cm tall, but fully a third of my division was at least 6'/180cm tall. Most of the women in another division were 5'4"-5'8"/160-170cm, with less than a quarter either shorter or taller.

Fighter pilots do have a height range, which is really about their ejection seats being able to get them out without amputating their legs at the knees(!).

Submariners also have a height range, I think 6'5 or 6'6 is the max (any taller and you'd constantly be hitting your head on things! As it was, my sub had one guy about that tall and he walked with a near-permanent stoop, the only place on the boat he could stand up straight was the engineroom). And the military has a braindead height/weight chart, my max weight was 192lbs, someone 6'6/195cm could only be 222lbs/100kg. Yes, 5lbs per inch, with no increase as your height went up.

Grunt infantry, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't have a height range. I know two Army officers, one male and one female. The guy is roughly my height, but much less broad-shouldered than I am (he wears a 42 suit, I wear a 48 or 50). The gal is about 5' tall, but I wouldn't pick a fight with her, she fights mean.

Well, PH is an amalgamation of strength and agility (toughness doesn't really apply in Infinity rules). PH controls what you can carry in CasEvac, and it also controls how well you can Dodge.

I was oddly amused by the Janissary box, the ML is the tallest and is female. My running joke is that she must be on the Haqq beach volleyball team.

Well, I don't like the new Saito, so I'm not buying him.

I'm hoping the ORCs won't look quite so mismatched in height.

xagroth and Abrilete like this.
  18. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

CB is unable to do consistent scale. Body types is a different thing. Consistent scale would be sitting snippers not being huge, or weapons and bags being the same size, or helmets being bigger than plain heads (or even HI females having similar padding than males, instead of current "body painting"/"skeleton inside"). Natural body types are Fat Yuan Yuan (fat, duh!) or old female ORC (tall). Even if taking only military and police types (and excluding FYY), you can have visible variations, it's pretty easy to see in news latelly, even inside vests and other combat clothes.

Edit: typo.

#858 Mob of Blondes, Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    xagroth and BLOODGOD like this.
  19. Skyhusky

Skyhusky Well-Known Member

In the same vein as everyone asking for fighting women.

Can I get a female dog warrior? Please?

Tarash_bulba, Barrogh and Icchan like this.
  20. Postmortem

Postmortem Kazak Arachnophile

Great idea.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation