1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Requesting subforum for the RPG

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by Iver, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Iver

Iver Human Plus

I think i speak for most of us who enjoy the Infinity RPG from Modiphius when i say that having somewhere to gather would be really nice.

Rules discussions, homebrew, characters and lore. There are even those that like to make a written log of their campaign.

I've kickstartered the game and there are quite a few places where rules are up for interpretation so i feel a forum to help clarify is pretty necessary.

2. eronth

eronth Active Member

Modephius actually has a forum which includes the Infinity RPG. That being said, having something here would be nice.

stevenart74 likes this.
  3. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

cross-polination is good, it could even call some RPG'ers to the miniature game.

Besides, it can always give ideas for new missions.

Abrilete and stevenart74 like this.
  4. stevenart74

stevenart74 Well-Known Member

I concur totally to petition the Opening of a dedicated Sub-Forum with all relevant Thread. . .

The "Infinity R.P.G." Section of Modiphius is quite good indeed, and many Rule Developers take their time to write useful answers especially to unclear Rules, but they are very constrained by the fast-paced developement of many diversified products. . .

Also while MANY Games by Modiphius share a robuts base of "Standard Rules" there are some very divergent "Evolution Lines" that could muddy issues (one of My L.G.S. play buddies was a 100% Kickstarter Backer of BOTH "Infinity R.P.G." AND of "Mutant Chronicles" and sometimes is an headache to have clear cut distinction between two RELATIVELY similar Backgrounds and Game Applications). . .

Here, as ALL at least passingly knowledgeable people about Infinity Miniature Wargame and Game Universe Background, could ask pointedly focused questions and solve a lot issues without too much ado. . .

5. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

I'd just like to add my voice to this request.

It'd be great to be able to chat about the RPG here, in the "home" of Infinity.

It's great that Modiphius have a space on their forum too, but I don't think there is anything to lose by having a section on these forums as well.

In fact, if anything, it will help with the RPG => Tabletop Miniature Game flow, which I am sure is hoped for even if not explicitly part of the plan.

stevenart74 likes this.
  6. Koni

Koni BanHammer
    CB Staff

I'll create an RPG subforum, guys. Thank you for your request.

PS: Do you have any suggestion about where should be placed that RPG subforum?

inane.imp, xagroth and stevenart74 like this.
  7. AdmiralJCJF

Does it make it harder if it's a new section?

I don't think it really fits within any of the existing sections.

But if it does have to go into one of the existing sections, then I suggest the "Partners & Distribution" section is the least obtrusive.
    'though I think it should be right at the top, in the "Corvus Belli" section... because it's clearly that important ;-P

stevenart74 and Koni like this.
  8. stevenart74

@Koni. . .

Great, this is very good news, thanks for this update !!!

I concur totally with AdmiralJCJF for the placement, as "Infinitythegame R.P.G." is (for My very limited knowledge of International Copyright) something that is shared between an European Company (obviously Corvus Belli of Spain), that apply a broad I.P. to various products (such as Books of Fiction and/or Rule Manuals, Miniatures (of both Metal and Plastic), Manga-styled Comics and so on) and a London-based Developement Firms (that is Modiphius) that tends to have products that often are just "Unprinted" Pdf Manuals in purely Digital Format. . .

While Great Britain is part (and not part, Brexit pending. . . !!) of the Commercial Ruleset about European Material, I know that there are bad precedents for the shared properties (and weirdly enough NOT of the Immediate Parts involved, but "Third Party" importers that made a lot of fuss with their own Law Firms against issues of "Importation Fees") between borders. . .

By putting it inside a Forum Section that is YET open to Shared I.P. (such as the "Azure Dragon" Flyer-Dropship of Antenociti Studio, that appeared in the "Outrage" Manga) that while could be sold separtely by its Studio for other Game Platform is a more-or-less accepted part of the Infinity "Game Universe" and so is an "Unsaid, Silently Accepted" gentleman's agreement between parties. . .

Similar "precedence compacts", that will SHIELD both C.B., Modiphius and Fan-Made Stuff that is freely produced / given without a monetary backing, exists yet in some of the "Veteran Faithfuls" / Kickstart Backer kind of "Officially Introduced Characters" such as "Bala Perdida" kind of "R.P.G. Avatar" or even, more important as is an extant Official Miniature, Father Konstantinos of the Pan-O M.O. "Dire Foes Box" that is an homage to the awesome support that Forum Moderator @psychoticstorm has granted to the Infinity Forum since its inception. . .

I feel important to raise this issue because BOTH Games Workshops of Great Britain (even if is now an "International Media Entertainment Corporation" as Law issues go) and Privateer Press, from the U.S.A., flatly refused (quite unwillingly contsrained on their part for waht I know of P.P.) to allow Fan-Made Stuff ANY KIND of Official Relevance, going to the point of asking to a Person putting some Concepts in Fan-Art Sections of their to slightly tweak / change a little some kind of Character Sketch, because would have somehow infringed in a Copyright about a future upcoming released material. . .

I, for My part, would have NO PROBLEM about being whatever is FREELY done / written / published / made available in a Fan-Art / Fan-Fiction Section (and so extended to any kind of Fan-Driven Roleplaying Game Subforum) would have ZERO LEGAL CLAIM on an existing / future Intellectual Property, but another Forumite had raised before the Idea that being "Infinity the R.P.G." a product of Modiphius would have NOT been part of Corvus Belli Forums. . .

The stance of Corvus Belli Staff obviously disabused this notion, and of this I could not be more happy (for R.P.G. Fanboy purpose of mine, not for any kind of "Unexistant Grievance" against that aforementioned Forumite !!). . . . .!!!

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  9. Iver

Iver Human Plus

As the one who put the request out there, i'd also like to give thanks for all the feedback.

As for forum section, i'd say that it really needs its own. And if not probably down in off-topic.

stevenart74 likes this.
  10. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

I'd prefer to give the RPG its own subforum, or else to place it on the Fan Zone subforum. To place it on the Partners one would mean having the biggest subforum to grow even more, and some people (myself included) might feel shoehorned into looking at that forum without need just to have access to the RPG one.

As for "sub-sub-forums", I think right now the better spreading would be Rules, Setting, Adventures, Characters, "Diaries" (or some other name for gameplay logs like sessions written down, podcasts, links to Youtube...), and FanArt (for drawings, RPG miniatures, etc...), with a Sticky for a Resources post where to gather things like Discord chat, Roll20 tools, etc...

Iver and stevenart74 like this.
  11. TheRedZealot

TheRedZealot Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Random thought but what about the Fan Zone for the RPG subform.

Its abit like Fan fiction after all.

12. AdmiralJCJF

That could work, but I would still prefer our own "section".

13. stevenart74

I concur with @AdmiralJCJF. . .

At the moment there is a running P.B.P. and a "R.P.G. Questions" in the English "Other Stuff" thread (along with all manner of totally unrelated material) and Drawings in the Fan-Art along with Descriptions in the Fan-Fictions, then there is the Request in the Feedback Subforum where @Koni answered that, when possible, a dedicated Sub-Section will be done. . .

I proposed in the past to put it in the "External Collaborators" as it is a shared I.P. with Modiphius, as some Forumites asserted that "As Modiphius Has Its Own Forum, We Will Never See Corvus Belli Give A Dedicated Subforum" but that issue is now moot point. . .

I think that the more sensible idea will be to open a dedicated Subforum; at the start will be just a "Drop Box" of the extant threads from various other areas of the Site, and then could EVEN have its own Subsection, once reaching a given "Critical Mass". . .

I also personally think that Corvus Belli will always see the Dedication of Forumites to the Roleplaying Game as a Bonus Incentive for the Miniature Wargame rather than detract from it. . .

Infinity started as a Crossover Idea of the Founders of C.B. between Talsorian Games venerable "Cyberpunk 2020" and a more "Starfaring Background" like the ones of Star Wars, Star Trek and many others. . .

Then they tried to have a limited "Player Avatar Customization" with the Second Edition Rules of the "Advancing Lifepaths" of the Special Forces from any Faction of "Paradiso" (that could also be considered "Crossovers" with the "Dire Foes" special brand of Homage Characters) and then now they have also the especially designed "R.P.G. Miniatures" that also work in a pinch as "Civilian V.I.P." or even (in the case of the Ariadnan Colonel Voronin) going straight to the Tabletop Wargame. . .

Is not too far fetched to think that they could also allow some future "Build-By-Points" kind of "Player Avatar" for special events, along with the rumored foreseeable conversions from Aristeia to Infinity Wargame to the R.P.G. (in fact Myamoto Musashi and Major Lunah exists yet in BOTH Miniature Games, and they will be trivailly easy to recreate with the Roleplaying Game Rules). . .

They are creating an immersive complete "Media Entertainment Brand" that will easily allow Crossovers and Cross-Index from their various Materials; point is Arslan, the only survivor of the Druze Carvanseray in the "Outrage" Manga is now arriving as a Special Mercs Character that will be ALWAYS useable, rather than a "Limited Option" as the other "Cast" of the Comic. . .

The Feedback of the Players was always well-received (if properly balanced) by C.B. as with the various "Homage Miniatures" (Hashashin Yasbir and Myrmydon Thrasimedes from the Fan-Made humorous comic; Pan-O M.O. Father Konstantinos as "Avatar" of Forum Moderator @Psichoticstorm an so on) or with polite request such as Ariadnan Wulver Females and Mercs Fat Yuan Yuan. . .

I will found not so improbable that any kind of meaningful and well-done R.P.G. contribution of the general shared world that is "Infinity" could have also some future "Apparition" on a Tabletop (Wargame or Aristeia) or some kind of other media-related (provided some solutions to I.P. and Copyrights) . . .

. . . . .

So lets try for all interested and involved to create something very useful for the Game Company AND the Players' Community alike! ! !

14. Koni

Koni BanHammer
    CB Staff

Working on it ;)

15. AdmiralJCJF

As always, we love your work.

stevenart74 likes this.
  16. AdmiralJCJF

Hey @Koni

Don't want to be a pest, but do want to keep this on your radar.

Any developments?

Thanks.

stevenart74 likes this.
  17. stevenart74

Subscribe totally to @AdmiralJCJF question. . .

Also, I tried to write on the Official Playtest Forum of Modiphius that here will be done something potentially and mutually useful, but their Compiling System is glitchy nowaday and when the Sub-Forum is active sometimes My old account (that I opened to ask if their "Drivethru Free Material" could possibly be translated to be further diffused abroad) does not work anymore. . .

Will see how it will all evolve. . .

18. Koni

Koni BanHammer
    CB Staff

It's on my radar, don't worry ;)

AdmiralJCJF, xagroth and stevenart74 like this.
  19. stevenart74

Thanks a lot, @Koni. . .

As for the Modiphius Forum at least @AdmiralJCJF account is alive and kicking. . .

Just to still consider, the old 2015 "Free R.P.G. Quickstart" is still TOTALLY gratis and available freely on the Net, albeit slightly Outdated even in the most recent update. . .

What could potentially be Corvus Belli stance, on Legal Copyright Grounds, if I and other Italians will translate the Free Quick (and ONLY the Web-Free Stuff) to diffuse it around My country (where sadly most of potential "R.P.G. New Recruits" are Pre-High Schooler with, at best, a baseline knowledge of Basic English Grammar !!) at Conventions and Local Game Shop events. . .??

I tried to check this with Warcors that I know are Italians, but they never answered My questions, and here in Italy the diffusion of Infinity Related Material is very troubled (for an Example there is ZERO possibilities to have the most recent N3 Manuals OUTSIDE importing them at Surcharge Price, from German-Based importers !!!). . .

It is sad, as I was part of many joint projects with the Italian Translators of the N2 Basic Maynual (and one of the two "Project Leaders" live at exactly 7 Kilometers from My house) but all interest evaporated like "Snow In The Summertime" as they progressed through University and other life interests. . .

The less is said about the Actual Italian Owners of the Infinity Wargame Miniature distribution license is better, as actually Game Shop owners said Me that they does not care to diffuse ANYTHING C.B. related and like more to concentrate on Collectible Card Games. . .!!

The "Boss" of Modiphius, Chris Birch, said that PROVIDED I will do a possible translation as a FREE FAN-MADE Stuff of FREELY available stuff without trying to gain ANYTHING from this the London-based Firm would have NO PROBLEM. . .

But any Host / Moderators of Italian Game Sites (be they R.P.G.-centered or Tabletop Wargame based) that even remotely speak about Infinity are Paranoid to avoid any issues, due to past unpleasantness. . .

So I will ask what could be potentially the Stance of Corvus Belli Staff about all of it. . .!!

Obviously the Basic Premise, for Me, is that anyone that would like the "Translated Free Sample" would come to like the Game Universe, and be interested in Buying the Pdf. of the R.P.G. of Modiphius (or phisical Books WHEN they will be available) AND of trying to acquire any Miniature Stuff (maybe by Direct Mail Order from Spain) from Corvus Belli. . .

At least the "Operatin Icestorm", "Operation Red Veil", "U.S.Ariadna Army" kind of Boxed Sets (along with the Outrage Manga + Knauf Mini "Box") are NOT plagued by the issues that other Corvus Belli products sems to have in Italy (due to a favourable "Legal Loophole") and so are present in ALMOST any L.G.S. that I visit in the WHOLE Northern Part of the Italian Peninsula. . .

20. AdmiralJCJF

As always, love your work.

Promise not to bug you TOO often...

;-P

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation