1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fatality 2 with B5...

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Zewrath, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Where/when did they give this rationale?

DukeofEarl likes this.
  2. Gunmage

Gunmage General Contact Unit

They didn't, but there are several interactions in rules (namely, burst MODs not stacking and HRMC Yan Huo being the only config that didn't get the ability to link) that make it seem like a conscious design choice.

3. Hecaton

They might be trying to limit it to 5 dice for practical reasons more than crit chance.

You can already get 6 dice in missions with panoplies.

WarHound likes this.
  4. Gunmage

How so? Neither fireteam bonus nor FA2 stack with other Burst bonuses. Twin Weapons rule doesn't have that clause, but there are no other ways to increase one's Burst I am aware of?

5. Hecaton

The Fireteam burst bonus only does not stack with other bonuses in the reactive turn; in the active turn it does, hence why, for example, a Rodok in a Haris can fire its light shotgun at B4. A Rodok in a Haris with an HMG can pull another one out of a panoply for B6.

WarHound likes this.
  6. Marduck

Marduck Well-Known Member

I dontd think this is gonna be OP but that fatality lvl 2 is going to generate a lot of frustration around the tables.

Whether you crit on 1 with a very poor tactical position (shooting a to sniper from the other side of the board) and the defender feels the negative experience. Or the attacker don't crit on multiple rolls and you feel you don't get what you deserved.

I think it's a poor mechanic in a game sens (i.e. not "funny mechanic").

Guardian, Hecaton, Sedral and 4 others like this.
  7. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

Yes, make no mistake. This isn't about what is OP or not, this entire thread is about how uninteractive FAT2 is with B5.

Why should I pay for profiles like the Yan Huo Neurocinetics or Sun Tze or Orc Feuerbach, when their main gimmick is to be good and tanky in ARO, which they pay an absurd amount of points to do so, only to get diced by a mechanic that bypasses such an expensive mechanic which you can't do a single thing against?

8. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

It's the anti-Symbiomate issue.

If FAT2 was +2 DAM (stacks with FAT1 for +3 total), nobody would have an issue and we'd all think it was interesting. It wouldn't simultaneously devalue TO, ODD, MSV or high ARM because all of those things would increase survivability against it or, in the case of MSV, improve your odds of winning the FTF.

B5 DAM17 Sptifires at less cost than an AP Spitfire. That's amazing. But it would emphasis that you need to play the game to get your hits in rather than just praying to the dice gods.

9. Disko King

Disko King Well-Known Member

Make something OP, sell models, then nerf it? Repeat?
    Make merc sectorials...aka 40k soups...this way we can also sell even more models people would never buy otherwise? :D

Yessss, our plan is working just as intended...we can learn a lot from GW business practices and implement it in Infinity :D

[​IMG]

I heard you love ARM13 Jotum?!

[​IMG]

10. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

And with THIS Fat2 (+2 or +3 damage) someone could even think of use AP Rifle Tarik...

Abrilete, xagroth and Zewrath like this.
  11. Gunmage

While I also don't like the way FAT2 works right now, I still would like to note that probability-wise, linked Tarik is only marginally better than Kriza, linked Janna or linked Orc HMG against Yan Huo or Orc FB in 16-24" range, and actually loses out to Kriza and Ork outside of Spitfire optimal rangeband. Infinity is a game where dude on ARO will always be at a disadvantage, so leaving a costly model for ARO duty will always be risky, regardless of cheese skills on attacker.

Bellyflop, oldGregg and Barrogh like this.
  12. Cartographer

Cartographer Well-Known Member

The problem is, FAT2 in a link can handily -9 (Tarik, Zhay) or -12 (Sheskin) itself and still get a 41% crit chance, it's got a built in threat bottom that can't be negated. Shooting a Hac Tao at bad range, in cover, through poor vis? 41% crit chance.
    Symbiomates were bad because they negated a core game mechanic (ARM/BTS rolls) and there was nothing you could do to prevent them working save rely on luck, it's galling that in the same update that addressed that issue CB introduced an entirely new combination that ignores another core game mechanic (range/cover/vis) that you can do nothing to prevent. This isn't a case of being out-manoeuvered and eating a normal roll from your rear arc, you can play better and negate that, FAT2 in a link just works, all the time.

LaughinGod, Stiopa, Abrilete and 29 others like this.
  13. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

Exactly this! I'm sorry I only have one like to give.

Nuada Airgetlam and inane.imp like this.
  14. Icchan

Icchan Well-Known Member

Heh, this is mainly the reason why I think even fireteams to begin with were a mistake. Getting +3BS and +1B is not rewarding you for good gameplay, it's simply rewarding you for picking the optimal faction and units in your list.

Basically my issue is that it's dictating your odds on the table before you've even began playing.

inane.imp likes this.
  15. ObviousGray

ObviousGray Frenzied Mushroom

Hope anyone from CB read this thread :P

16. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

So can be said about basic stats too, though, even more so.

17. Arkhos94

Arkhos94 Well-Known Member

I din't realise how strong sheskin crit chance could negate mods until someone on the french forum pointed it.

So, same opinion here. Having 41 % chance of loosing an opposed roll even if you pick the best unit in the best situation to ARO is just crazily bad.

PS : sheskin has a BS15 so she only need a 3 people FT to be able to reach this odd.

ErdinyoBarboza and inane.imp like this.
  18. ObviousGray

ObviousGray Frenzied Mushroom

One question follows; will it 'fun' to play with?

I have strong negativeness towards it, and I can think some WAACs happily buying able army ruining the gaming scene. Quite a flourishing!

19. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Dont worry, this stuff was tested so it must be fine ^^

(just like Full Auto and stacking in on suppressive fire ;P)

Guardian and Hecaton like this.
  20. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Well mostly depends on which side of this rule you will find yourself on ?

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation