1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The most basic thing, or: the table!

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by Varsovian, Jan 30, 2018.

1. smog

smog Well-Known Member
    Warcor

2. Varsovian

Varsovian Well-Known Member

Hmm. That table looks great, but I just don't have any space at home to store something like this...

How about something like this?

[​IMG]

These tables are 50 x 70 cm. How about buying two of them, putting them together to form a 100 x 70 cm table, then putting a 130 x 130 MDF board (12 mm thick)? Do you guys think such a construction would be stable and rigid enough to play on?

3. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

Commonly used doesn't make it correct. "Nucular" is also in common use in the US (and is also wrong). :p

"Alooominum" gets a pass only because it's the original name for it (a yank named it - then the scientific community changed the spelling to make it fit into the metallic element naming conventions).

It was just my comment about ordering stuff by its correct name.
    If you order "Styrofoam" and get that white expanded crap - your supplier will probably get legal notices from Dow (or they'll poison the town, it's a 50/50 bet - Dow has that kind of record).

Also more proof that the US and the rest of the English speaking world are still separated by a common language.

4. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Day in, Day out. Day in, Day out. Day in, DAY OUT

Spoken like a true prescriptivist. ;) Common usage, in fact, defines correct when it come to language. And US-English is a separate language from UK-English. Seriously. Sisters of a common mother. You Aussies are headed that way too.

Yes, it would be wise to order things by their correct name. For example, if you want pink XPS, ask for Foamular®, not Styrofoam®. Dow has a similar problem with the use of the word Pyrex.

Back On-Topic. XPS foam is quite durable, in my experience, and any dings that you may get during transport or use are easily and quickly repaired. I've been playing on tabletops made of this stuff for over 20 years. One could even use it as an underlayment for something like 3mm MDF if one wanted to go that route.

5. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Ever seen the word cederrón? First time for many of us was when Academy said it was getting added to the dictionary. It cuts multiple ways, sometimes they invent, sometimes people do, sometimes they say some word is not accepted, sometimes people don't accept a word. And then you must take into account multiple countries, so it gets even weirder. Just in case you were wondering, the term was CDROM.
    Yes, 12mm MDF should be really rigid (and weight 12-16Kg), but remember you can space the tables and make 130*70 (50, 30 air, 50), with only 30 floating in two opposite sides (30, 70, 30). Or even separate a bit more than 30 in the middle, giving you a small space for dice, markers, etc.

If you go for two separate planks, think about the suggestion in past pages, buy some small sticks of wood and build "stops" so you can place them perfectly fitting one picnic table each. I would also add screw eyes (screws with a O in the end) to tie things to each other with rope or rubber bands.

6. gorkij

gorkij Bakunin disciple

Heh, it's a weird little world with too many companies and subsidiaries. :) Of course, pardon my tardy reply, I fell asleep early yesterday.

It's basically a square beam frame with two bits of chipboard on top, giving a gaming area of 122x122cm, or just 1/4" short of 4'. Then, 2 "Finnvard" from IKEA sorts out the rest. You can set the height on them, and since I'm over 40 and have had scoliosis from birth I rather like a high table so I max it up. Finnvard swedish link here.

I plan on adding the last quarter inch to it in the future, as well as adding sideboards for gaming gear as well to reduce stuff-clutter on the gaming area as well. And, sand the top and coat it in polyurethane resin.

Cervantes3773 likes this.
  7. Cry of the Wind

Cry of the Wind Well-Known Member

Hard to say without handling them to see how sturdy they really are. They look like to old picknic table my father brought to the park with us when I was very small, and my memories of their stability are not great but it has been a very long time...

As long as you have something secruing the flat top to them it should be ok, most game tables are only lightly bumped during play. Mob of Blondes suggestions should be fine and are similar to what I suggest regarding stops under the top to anchor it to the picnic table.

8. gorkij

gorkij Bakunin disciple

Think I've seen a review of this one a while back: https://goo.gl/G2FFdc and it seems a good one as well.

9. unclesrouce

unclesrouce Well-Known Member

10. Varsovian

Varsovian Well-Known Member

Hmmm. And is 3mm HDF rigid enough, in your opinion?

11. unclesrouce

unclesrouce Well-Known Member

Depends on your playstyle [emoji6]

The table is 90cm - the HDF are 120 cm - so the HDF are 15 cm in the air on every side. Till now this was no problem.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

12. Mroowkojad

Mroowkojad Member

unclesrouce likes this.
  13. MAlgol

MAlgol I couldn't tackle the bear

I remember them as very light and a wind could tip them over. Will probably not be a problem with Infinity. =)

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation