1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soul's Cerberus Table

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by Shawn, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Cry of the Wind

Cry of the Wind Well-Known Member

I am already sold on LOS Block buildings. This is just awesome and I love the Mass Effect influence. Probably will do something similar when I have the income and space available for my own table, just might go Alliance blue instead.

2. Shawn

Shawn Soul_Glaven

Sorry for the delay people. I caught a head cold at the end of last week and didn't have the drive to work.

Anyway, let's talk about these terrain tiles. Have you ever worked on something and no matter what you did, you were never satisfied? That's what I'm going through with these blasted tiles.

Here's the first 2 attempts:
    [​IMG]

Nope. Hated both of them. Next attempt:
    [​IMG]

Liked this one! Kind of... Did it stop me from repainting it and all the others? Funny you should ask:
    [​IMG]

Just finished this one today. Here's another view:
    [​IMG]

I hate this one too!

I'm never satisfied with these things. I hated the white because it was too sterile. The black looked satisfactory to a degree but I felt it was too dark and hand brushing in up to 400 lines per tile was/is a real pain. So I got some awesome white ink pens that would allow me to line easier but white lines on the black tiles looked even worse! Had to change the shade so got some faded gray spray and tried again. Now the grey was too pale for the white lines to even matter so I filled in the corners with a sharpie and airbrushed the red and dark spots. Still hate it...

It's kind of driving me nuts because rarely have a block like this. I can't keep repainting them. I'm thinking about shelving the whole set and just using a mat.

I could really use another perspective here. I think my brain is trying to eat itself.

What do you people think?

-Soul (www.Glaven.net)

Vyo, Berjiz, ZlaKhon and 2 others like this.
  3. Pen-dragon

Pen-dragon Deva

Buildings look awesome, nice colors!

Can't really offer advice on the terrain tiles. Of the ones shown, the black one seems easier on the eyes, but looks like a right pain to paint.

4. TheRedZealot

TheRedZealot Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Before making any suggestions on the tile front. What is the goal? To completely cover a table in them? Comparable to a mat it sounds like.

5. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

Personally I like the black tiles more. To add some more details I'd consider a floor way finding system like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vyo, Berjiz, ZlaKhon and 1 other person like this.
  6. Shawn

Shawn Soul_Glaven

Thanks. The black was the only one I could tolerate.

The tiles belong to this set from Losblock:
    [​IMG]
    Basically a modular mat.

That is probably what I'm looking for! I have convinced myself not to go over the top with painting this table. The thing is I would have to plan out where the lines go as the pieces are meant to be modular. Perhaps the look was just boring me and that's why I hated them all.

Real food for thought. Thanks people!

-Soul (www.Glaven.net)

timberfox and jherazob like this.
  7. TheRedZealot

Warcor

Alright yeah I think the issue you might be running into is its close to being exactly regular.

Where in the real world have you ever seen exactly repeating tiles or patterns like that? there is almost always dirt, or wear, or other little chips and damage to a surface. Even gaming mats are not typically exactly repeating patterns right.

You've got some highlights/weathering in the center of each square but again its fairly consistently. Varying in size but not location. I would try and do a test piece get a piece of paper and trace out the little squares then hit it with some more varied weathering and see if that fixes the problem.
    Scatter terrain might help as well break up the look.

Edit: Usashi's suggestion solves the problem in a slightly different way. I also like that idea just setting up the lines to work across different tile setups will be the hard part.

#27 TheRedZealot, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    jherazob likes this.
  8. ev0k

ev0k Well-Known Member

@Shawn you're looking for a fast and easy way to paint those lines ? Here's the solution :
    - paint you boards with the color of your choice using acrylic paints
    - varnish the boards using gloss acrylic varnish and let them dry for 24 hrs
    - take a contrasting oil color (for example black if your boards are light grey)
    - make a whash out of this paint by diluting it with white spirit depending on the end result you're looking for
    - whash the entire surface of the bords and let them dry 24hrs
    - take a towel, damp it with white spirit and gently rub the surface of the boards : all the recessed lines will pop out !

It may seem complicated but honestly the longer part of the process is the drying time. And the less you rub, the more weathered will the boards look !

Myomer and jherazob like this.
  9. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

And for doing the actual guide lines, go to a hobby store that sells radio-control bits, those guys have striping tape in various widths in a lot of colors. They will be fairly wide, the narrowest will be probably 2-3mm. But it's a lot easier than masking and painting!

Vanderbane and Berjiz like this.
  10. Section9

You're welcome!

11. Shawn

Shawn Soul_Glaven

First weekend off in a month! Update Time!

Man this last month has been a right pain. Sickness, travel, other crap… No time to paint at all. Well Saturday was free and I was finally able to finish some stuff I started!

Terrain Tile
    With some help from you lot, I was able to figure out what to do with these blasted tiles. Thanks so much for your feedback on this. It really got me out of that funk.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Office Main Floor
    This monster took forever. It’s basically a 2-3 buildings combined. Took days to finish. And I have 4 more to do… I added a few shots with one of my universal buildings on top and with a Naga for scale.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scatter Terrain
    Made one of the large boxes from my order. These will make for some nice scatter terrain.
    [​IMG]

It's going to be rainy today so priming the next building is out unless I work in my garage. Not too keen on spraying in high humidity so I'll just work on the tiles for a while. Lots to do there.

More to come as I progress.

-Soul (www.Glaven.net)

12. TheRedZealot

Warcor

Looks awesome glad you figured out the tiles :)

13. Section9

Looking great!

14. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

Duude! Those pictures are lit AF! :dizzy_face:

15. BlackCadian

BlackCadian Well-Known Member

Sweet!

I just came across this thread by accident really, and what do I find? Some cool LOSBlock scenery! I just treated myself to the armotek offices bundle and its amazing! I‘ll be sure to follow this thread to figure out how I need to paint it when its completely built!

Keep it up!

16. Shawn

Shawn Soul_Glaven

Glad you like people!

@Section9 I'll be taking your advice on striping tape when I get a few tiles done. I'll test out the wayfinding system Usashi suggested.

@BlackCadian That's the set I got. It's an amazing table but it's a lot of work. I'll likely be at this for months. The main floor of the office building is like 2 buildings worth of parts.

-Soul (www.Glaven.net)

17. Section9

Looking forward to seeing it in action!

18. DrunkCorsair

DrunkCorsair Well-Known Member

I like your terrain. I now want to play Mass Effect again.

19. Marduck

Marduck Well-Known Member

Your terrain are amazing. Love it. Really feel the Cerberus effect.

I would love to see the hollow man in the middle of it.

#39 Marduck, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  20. ev0k

ev0k Well-Known Member

Outstanding paint job on those terrains :+1:

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation