1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Positive Tohaa Conspiracy Theory for 2019

Discussion in 'Tohaa' started by Cothel, Mar 12, 2019.

1. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

Why would a player bother using Corvus Belli models to proxy discontinued profiles?

In four months, a new player decides to play regular Tohaa and wants to field a Gorgos. (They're a new player, they haven't seen the arguments over whether it's worth using...). What options do they have? Either someone else's completely different S7 model, or a model from some other company's product line.

MisterCram and Aldo like this.
  2. TheRedZealot

TheRedZealot Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I'll start off by saying theres no escaping the Gorgos hate. The first thing one of my local players heard when starting Tohaa was "The Gorgos is bad and you need Kaeltar"

On the proxy front why not an anaconda. So they have a model that is useful in both Vanilla and Spiral?

3. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Well-Known Member

Sry, wanted to stop, but can't make not no comment at these statements.
    The confirmation from CB that Tohaa is real a faction. But now we have the confirmation that is a sectorial and nothing else, cause they extinct them the same way like QK.
    And you would already have a faction even when you discontinue a part of them. But now the way is open to let vanilla Tohaa fade out with the years.
    To call something a "year of" and destroy the playerbase even more cause of the lack of new players and the more likely then ever extinction of a complete faction, whos hated by most other players.
    Plus we had no the luxury of having time to prepare what will happen. I don't want offend you, but I think you and some/many(?) other WC have known it long time ago, even if the news was spread behind closed doors.
    See my post above.
    Can understand your opinion.
    All of that is the thanks for having over a year without releases for our faction. The real thank is a kick in the butt.

borings and Abrilete like this.
  4. TheRedZealot

TheRedZealot Well-Known Member
    Warcor

For the record Warcors rarely know anything more than you. And when we do its usually only a day or two in advance. In this case in particular we learned at the same time as everyone else. what you might be interpreting as advance knowledge is just a general acceptance of it. Sku reduction was coming CB has said that in the past. Its not too hard to connect the dots on likely reductions.

I'm not sure I follow but if you're alright with it I'll follow up with you in PMs so we don't clog up this thread any more.

5. daszul

daszul Well-Known Member

:alien:

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  6. borings

borings Well-Known Member

So what i think is happen
    from a pure business standpoint, it seems like what they are doing is promoting a clearance on current tohaa inventory. they know tohaa is the most hated, so they make a new faction without the most hated units (makaul/sukeul) to test the waters and see if people can stand a more "balanced" tohaa. they try to push people from the old faction to the new by releasing units with profiles that are only really viable in the new faction. if the new faction is unpopular, they've still made money, and they can just have tohaa get wiped out completely in a couple years. if the new faction is popular, they can say they want to focus on that more, and just have the original army get wiped out in a couple years. i'm sure a lot of people would like that for fluff reasons. with the proxy rules being what they are, people that don't play the faction will say "whats the big deal get over it" the same as when exrah got cut, and cb will just continue making stuff for the popular factions.

i mean, the other option seems to be completely rebalancing base tohaa, which would require a lot of work and would potentially piss off customers even more. so instead of a bunch of players pissed off at having their faction completely redone, they can hope to wean off the tohaa players slowly over time.

i'd say, just enjoy makauls and sukeuls while you can. by the time they get cut, infinity will prolly be in 4th edition.

Ben Kenobi likes this.
  7. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

Oh, great. Guess what I bought. :T:

ev0k and Abrilete like this.
  8. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

@solkan that assumes there will be no Gorgos left in the next couple of years or more, while possible, the experience suggests otherwise.

@Ben Kenobi
    Tohaa are a real faction, why is that even up for debate?

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  9. borings

there was a thread a while back when someone whose posts have gravitas (i think ijw, not sure) said that CB never saw tohaa as an actual army, just a sectorial. they backpedaled that statement, but based on design and release schedule i think it might have left a lasting impression

coleslaw likes this.
  10. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

@borings

I see, thanks for bringing this up.

This is the most misrepresented statement we have in Infinity, to clarify, Tohaa were always designed as a faction, the problem is their mechanics were a direct application of sectorials rules and advantages to the vanilla, that means that, in a mechanical way, the vanilla has the core design elements of what a sectorial is (fireteams) that does not make them not a real faction, but creates unique challenges in creating actual sectorials for Tohaa.

In all other factions Vanilla has all the troops usually more restricted than the sectorials and the sectorials have a limited selection of choices, but can form fireteams, with Tohaa this simple split is not possible hence the "attributed" quote, it is not a case of Tohaa not been a true faction, but an explanation why sectorials for Tohaa are so hard to design.

11. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Well-Known Member

It is doubt by some players.
    But currently it is imo treated by CB like a sectorial like Merovingian or Acon. I doubt that there will something like this happen in the future again, that a faction will get rid of most of the necessary units, the "sectorial" get's more loadouts for some units then the vanilla faction and that he gets direkt to NA2 without having a real own sectorial yet.

Feels like be adopted and the parents let it know you in her behavior.

But I think I have said too much about the whole topic and now I will try to focus on more positive things Infinity can offer at the moment. My merovingian are waiting for assambling.

12. FloK

FloK New Member

Thats exactly my problem with the discontinuation of so many miniatures. I have some of them here and think about buying the rest, but maybe in 1-2 years the profiles will be gone as well and I'll have a heap of useless metal in form of an then unplayable tohaa army...

13. Hiereth

Hiereth AI Artichoke

I thought this was a positive thread? why do we think these profiles are going to disappear? as far as I know that's only happened a handful of times, and only to single units for story purposes or the Exrah, who i wasn't around for but as far as I know what because they were a mess.

14. FloK

FloK New Member

I do not say this will happen soon or ever. And its sure not meant as negativity. I'm just not sure if I really feel like buying models when their profiles might be phasing out over time, depending on how the future development of the Tohaa will be, and never reapear.

#74 FloK, Mar 16, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  15. paraelix

paraelix Seed Embryo Scholar

Yawn at this presumption by *some people* that CB have destroyed Tohaa. They haven't. They have made changes and then those same *some people* are throwing tantrums and are, themselves, the ones doing the faction harm.

You don't need to come in here and "correct" people's posts. This was a thread for being positive and you've prioritised your personal ego and desire to be "right" and just shat all over that concept. You are the problem here.

ChoTimberwolf and RobertShepherd like this.
  16. FloK

FloK New Member

Sorry if I started on the wrong foot here. I'm acctually just painting up the miniatures from the 300 points Tohaa box and just thinking about adding all or some of the shortly discontinued miniatures. So I'm really just starting Tohaa now and a little confused. I'm just not sure, if there will be profiles for them in the future (long term, as I tend to play my stuff for years) and that leaves me a little bit worried. Not belonging to any faction in some longer debate here.

All in all I'm not unhappy, that corvus belli is doing new stuff and that there ist progress in the fluff. I'm surely not thinking that corvus belli killed/ destroyed the Tohaa (there are a lot of new Tohaa now, so...). And I love, that we will get a updated campaign system now (not a tournament player, more into the fluff/ narrative games)

Its more about what to do now for me with my Tohaa I'm just starting to build: either buy the "old" Tohaa stuff to "preserve" them as versatile as possible for after after the discontinuation or jump on some of the new stuff (that I find really interesting).

Both would be okay too, but I my funds tend to have a limit... ;-).

17. borings

Im not sure this reads the way you want it to read. As a stranger to you, it seems like you are claiming moral high ground and participating in the same type of activity that you are disparaging.

I say this because you say "you" multiple times, but the "you" is not directed at anyone, so it could be read as a personal attack on everyone reading it, which would mean you are egoizing and adding negativity to the thread. Perhaps that is your intent, i'm not sure. Just figured i'd point it out to you, in case you were unaware of the multiple ways your post could be interpreted.

TheRedZealot and RobertShepherd like this.
  18. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

@paraelix is a career shit-stirrer so it probably was what he intended, but your post is still a good post ;)

19. borings

it really comes down to how dedicated you want to be to wysiwig. if you don't mind proxying (and it doesn't bother yer local meta too much either) i'd say just get the models you like and just try to be consistent in how you use them for proxies. if you don't want to proxy, and you enjoy the melee part of tohaa, i'd suggest getting the makauls while they are around, as they are the unit most likely to get changed/dropped just based on how unbalanced they are viewed. if you just like tohaa in general, i'd say get the units you like, and to prolly try out spiral corps, as they seem like a decent next step for most players.

from my point of view, of the units being cut only the sukeul and makaul are really worth getting, as they are the only ones with real unique feels that seem to be unrepresented in spiral corps.

20. FloK

FloK New Member

Thanx. You are totally right. As I only play with a handfull of friends to proxy is a good option. And as I already have the makaul, I might just get the sukeul and buy me the spiral corps box some time soon.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation