1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Senor Massacre Switch and Attack Effect

Discussion in 'Soldiers of Fortune' started by CribToCoffin, Mar 3, 2019.

1. CribToCoffin

CribToCoffin New Member

First post here, long time Infinity player now starting A!...Reading Senor Massacre's general Switch, coupling with the effect of his attack, it raised a question to me for which I couldn't find an existing answer via searching the forums for the following situation: Massacre declares an attack on an enemy, rolls his dice, and the rolled dice allow him to use his switch to taunt the target of his attack. Can he then apply the double-arrow effect of his attack to add the effects's orange dice to that ongoing attack? Per the Action steps resolution order, the roll (and switch resolution) happens before any effects take place, so I'd say yes, he can taunt via his switch, and the effect applies to current attack roll. But I also know that once an attack is declared and roll occurs, the conditions that were in place at that point are supposed to apply to the attack throughout the attack's resolution. By that logic, the target could be taunted via his switch, but his attack effect should not be applied to that ongoing attack. I am torn on this, and feel like the answer is simple, yet I'm missing it. I appreciate any help on this one.

2. CribToCoffin

CribToCoffin New Member

Note I happen to see one line in post from 30Apr2018 from Roadrunner7431 about using Senor Massacre, where -V- alludes to Hannibal helping Massacre to achieve Taunt on a target prior to an attack, so that Massacre can have his attack effect happen during an implied subsequent attack. This would lead to the switch not being able to be applied mid-attack sequence, but it was not a definitive answer.

3. treiral

treiral Midnight poster

If Sr. Massacre already rolled the attack he can't go back an add extra :,: to roll again when he uses his switch to :H:taunt. That's why Hannibal helped Massacre with his taunt, and why most players uses "Hey, malpario!" to taunt first, then attack.

Roadrunner7431 likes this.
  4. CribToCoffin

CribToCoffin New Member

Thanks Treiral, but can you (or anyone) please let me know the "why" on this one? Is it because when an attack is declared/all initial conditions are met to proceed, and the dice are rolled, then no other effects or changes to the game state can affect those initial attack conditions which were in place at the beginning? Thanks.

5. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

6. CribToCoffin

CribToCoffin New Member

Ok, thanks for the help. I didn't think that was the reasoning, as there is nothing in the rules that implies dice cannot be added to a roll via switches or other effects that occur after the roll is made. I can see the logic that initial attack conditions prior to the roll cannot be altered, as is the case with Displacements and such via switches. But not being able to manipulate dice after a roll...I will just take it as a given. Thanks!

7. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

But it's after the Roll has been made. Your way of doing it would require two separate dice-rolling steps.

Note also that all abilities that let you add extra dice are worded 'before making a roll' or similar.

treiral and Roadrunner7431 like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation