1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are YJ the sole human bad guys?

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by Dichotomedes, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Nemo No Name

Nemo No Name Aleph Cultural Atache

Yes, I operate under that assumption.
    Yes, I'm not talking about anarcho-syndicalist (and frankly, only Corregidor has even the slightest overtones of that philosophy). I'm relying purely on what they tell us in lore. Corregidor spaces anyone who cannot serve their hours and uses tribal gangs to maintain order. Bakunin has no policies except keep screams to your module.

AdmiralJCJF and Dragonstriker like this.
  2. daszul

daszul Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

YTonic, Stiopa and theradrussian like this.
  3. Sedral

Sedral Jīnshān Task Force Officier

Showing up with a Tibetan flag on a thread where we're arguing that space china aren't the baddies...

Bold move mate, bold move...

YTonic, Stiopa, Barrogh and 10 others like this.
  4. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

Spoiler: No asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs. The dinosaurs evolved into the Lizard People, who the El visited and sequestered for testing. The whole mammal evolution thing and thinking apes thing is just the Ascension sim for the Lizard People, and any realism faults can be blamed on the fact that they’re just making up all this stuff about humans fighting off the El because it tests well.

Bonus fact: Why do think the whole “lizard brain” thing won’t go away? :)

Chaserabinov likes this.
  5. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

That was one of the things that I liked about the setting. Getting the various nations/ethnicities to agree to join a meta-nation would be immensely challenging, no doubt about it. The promise of YJ was that they had made it work. The Vietnamese parts of YJ still celebrate the defeat of the Chinese.

Shiwen and Dragonstriker like this.
  6. ObviousGray

ObviousGray Frenzied Mushroom

So can we return to fictional topic now?

chromedog and Space Ranger like this.
  7. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

I agree but gotta remember that Infinity is based on real life. How can we compare if not to what we know?

8. FatherKnowsBest

FatherKnowsBest Red Knight of Curmudgeon

It really doesn't matter. It's just a game. I've ignored the lackluster fluff since I began playing some 9 years ago. It has zero effect on the game.

chromedog and Ariwch like this.
  9. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

I don't actually get the "it's just a game" comments. This kind of comment is about basically anything.

It's just a commute.
    It's just a job.
    It's just a common cold.
    It's just a bad day.
    It's just a life. It isn't worth anything. Get over yourself.

This "just a" game can be, and likely is, the focal point of a person's spare time and social interaction. It's likely the primary way of recovering from daily obligations such as work, kids, and shitty commutes. It's could be a pretty big deal. If it goes down the drain and stops capturing your interests you may even need to rebuild your social circles and depending on who you are that can be a momentous task. It strikes me as very disrespectful to the person to be so dismissive of the thing they enjoy and it's not exactly like I can judge how important this hobby or game is to another person I haven't met, let alone know much about.

In either case, we all enjoy different things, let's be more casually respectful. I'm personally happy I don't need to read the fluff to get enjoyment out of it. End of rant.

10. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

I think if you don't pay attention to the story then you might as well be playing Chess. Even board games have some story.

Section9 likes this.
  11. FatherKnowsBest

FatherKnowsBest Red Knight of Curmudgeon

Not at all. CB has never had good writing. They have had amazing models and a good game. One can absolutely appreciate one without the other.

It is just a game.

12. Solodice

Solodice Freshly Squeezed Troll

People get different things out of the hobby. I detest painting and I have yet to have anyone give me trouble over my horde of chrome. I enjoy playing the game and exploring and discussing the fluff. Talking down to those that like the fluff is like talking down to non-painters and only players or only painters and non-players.

Some come for all aspects of the game. Some come for a certain aspect. If you don't like one that's fine but because you don't enjoy it doesn't mean others don't. Some like to bitch about it for some reason cause they can't understand why others can like that certain aspect. That's nothing new in life or fandoms though. People aren't machines.

So it's just a game isn't as simple a saying as some think. People come to the game for all kinds of reasons.

13. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

The Hexahedron is generally portrayed as very, very morally dubious, but their sins are not transmitted to the rest of PanO in the fluff the same way that all of YJ is portrayed as responsible for the IS. So different factions are held to different moral standards (with Nomads being perhaps the most egregious example).

Dragonstriker likes this.
  14. atomicfryingpan

atomicfryingpan Well-Known Member

The hexahedron I believe has it's own public image division which is all about making it look good and giving out propaganda. I believe the yanjing is the yu jing equivalent organization. I dont think they are as fleshed out in the fluff but I could be wrong about that. It feels like I've heard more about the hexahedron more than yanjing. They may either have similar programs for promoting a certain public image or and this is all pure speculation because admittedly YJ fluff is not my strong suit but I wonder if the average YJ citizens don't feel as negative towards the ISS.

I think it's easier based on your background to look at the ISS and be like this is antithetical to our belief or culture. That's not me saying people wouldn't have problems if they see crane agents stomping on the heads of the peasants for no good reason but I'm willing to assume that the ISS doesn't spend most of it's time committing atrocities. I'd assume yu jing civilians would probably place higher value in the greater good vs individual liberties. If that's true, then I think people would be more accepting of the ISS and alot of their day to day work so maybe YJ doesn't have to work as hard at promoting a certain image. Dont read this and I'm saying that I think YJ would be completely fine with ISS stomping Japanese dissidents into the curb because of la uprising. I think they would find stuff like despicable and that's where propaganda and the like would have to come in and help smoothe over things. For example a common thing I've heard is how the ISS has some agents who are police forces that act as judge, jury, and executioner which I assume alot of people in the real world would be completely against. But if in the infinity verse the majority of yj citizens live comfortable, safe, and happy lives they may look at it as a necessary step to keep having that life style.

Alot of assumptions made and I need to check out the yu jing rpg material to get a better idea but these are just some of my thoughts on how yu jing society goes on and I'm sure I didnt do great at explaining it but I hope some people get the gist of what I'm saying.

15. DukeofEarl

DukeofEarl Well-Known Member

The human ability to justify a situation for our own purposes is incredible.

Space Ranger and chromedog like this.
  16. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

The Yu Jing are clearly not one-dimensional bad guys if you read the expanded setting and background material from the RPG.

[​IMG]

17. atomicfryingpan

A very human trait indeed. In my head I have an assumption about how each of the factions citizens would live in the day to day. I'm sure I'm way off on a ton of stuff. I wish we had actual novels set in the infinity universe so that we could see a more detailed version of how it all goes.

DukeofEarl and Space Ranger like this.
  18. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

Another thing to remember is that the Hexahedron, Outer and Inner, is very different than the Imperial Service. The Hexahedron, to use an imperfect analogue, is the Pentagon (Outer) plus the CIA/NSA/NGIA/NRO/etc. (Inner), so strictly the military and intelligence services. The Imperial Service, on the other hand, is the entire law enforcement and judicial service for YJ, so FBI/ATF/Sheriffs/local PDs/etc. No matter where it may be, law enforcement is Imperial Service.

atomicfryingpan likes this.
  19. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

funny enough, I think the Yanjing gets mentioned more in PanO/Hexahedron fluff than in YJ fluff.

I used to assume that, too, but after the Uprising and the Einsatzgruppen Yuandun Division, I'm not so sure...

That is very true. In America, we say that the "right to swing your fist ends at the tip of someone's nose," but in Asian cultures it would be better described as "the right to swing your fist ends where someone can see you."

20. atomicfryingpan

I agree on the yanjing part, I'm pretty sure the first time I heard about it was in a fluff blurb for the hexas. With IA being the new hotness I'm sure we wont hear much about them but hopefully when it gets back around white banner time we get some more info from them. Another interesting opportunity to explore them more would be them helping the libertos on varuna. I think the yuan duan is more the exception than the rule or atleast that's the feeling I get. I think if they were the norm the yj faction would feel more dystopian.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation