1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making the Xenotech your Datatracker in Acquisition or other missions?

Discussion in 'ITS' started by Hecaton, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Alphz

Alphz Kuang Shi Vet. Retired.

What hecatons trying to do is the stick side of a carrot/stick style of motivation.

By finding a loophole and creating the threat he/she will use it if its not addressed, is trying to incentivise work to be done on official FAQs.

Except repeated studies on human behaviour have now found this to be literally the worst form of motivation without some form of overarching cultural expectation also in place.

I don't think people who are often engaging with you are not trying get CB to improve. We're just a couple decades ahead of you in motivational science.

Its frustrating for things to not happen faster. But "tough love" is almost literally the opposite thing that will get you what you want promptly.

@colbrook describes it best. Theres is improvement. We need to keep encouraging that, realising that CB is a small company and looking at ways we can help lessen the load in a robust way to get what we all want, which is a better game.

WarHound, Wolf, Teslarod and 3 others like this.
  2. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Citation needed on that one buddy. But my motivation is more to create a situation in which people who do participate in tournaments aren't blindsided by all these loopholes; no fun to show up to a tournament and have your guy shot in the back from the front by a super-jumping enemy when you didn't even know that was possible.

I do. Because there's a lot of people who participate in this community whose experience is not made better by the game being tight/well-written/balanced.

Really? Then why hasn't the hugboxing got stuff done?

The thing is, first for them to improve and get people in the community to help they'd have the admit there's a problem. I'm guessing there's some internal politics going on as to why the state of the rules is what it is, and why the tournament documentation is of such deplorable quality.

#42 Hecaton, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    RogueJello likes this.
  3. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

So let me catch up really quick.

>> demands unicorn
    >> gets unicorn with explanation on January the 24th.
    >> demands unicorn to be further elaborated
    >> gets further elaboration on unicorn issue on January the 29th

>> mfw February the 5th, unicorn still allive and kicking, further demands for shitting glitter and puking rainbows ensue. At this point might as well try.

@Hecaton Friggin nice unicorn you have there mate. Kudos!

oldGregg and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  4. RogueJello

RogueJello Well-Known Member

Maybe we shouldn't consider getting answers to legitimate questions to be a "unicorn", or that the answers to these questions to be "shitting glitter and puking rainbows". Answering questions, and fixing rules problems seem like a pretty low bar, a lot of other similar companies have been able to work this out.

Hecaton likes this.
  5. Gunmage

Gunmage General Contact Unit

Well, apparently, it takes time for CB to compile and put out FAQs. First questions regarding xenotech popped out in September 2018, and were resolved in FAQ 1.5 in January 2019. Thus, we can expect this question to be resolved in May, and in the meantime you can either harass the devs about how this bug is still in the rules PDF on every channel they could possibly hear you (I like to call that "the Warhammer way"), or, alternatively, you can take the clarification from the author of these rules from this thread and use it.
    Well... negative reinforcement is the fastest means of conditioning. But for it to work the desired behavior must be the easiest means of avoiding the punishment, and writing FAQs (I assume) is harder than banning a user on the forums...

6. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

Leaving CB to clear up the rules in their own time clearly has no effect, @HellLois answers like less than 1 question every 30 days and normally avoids the difficult ones which isn't helpful, so you might as well bash them with the stick. What are they gonna do? Not answer the questions they're already not answering?

#46 Triumph, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    jimbo slice, RogueJello and Hecaton like this.
  7. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Huh, maybe by the time the next ITS season rolls around they'll have gotten rid of the bugs in this one, just in time to introduce a whole bunch of new ones and copy/paste a bunch from three years ago?

jimbo slice likes this.
  8. Wolf

Wolf https://youtube.com/@StudioWatchwolf

All of this brings to mind the biblical story of Cain and Abel. The plot goes like this:

Jehovah requires the sacrifice of a lamb from the sons of Adam.
    Abel provides the lamb as required - which he can easily do because he's a herdsman, and Jehovah is pleased.
    Cain provides vegetables - which is all he can provide because he's a farmer, but Jehovah is displeased.

Cain says "Whattup, Lord? I gave you what I had!"
    Jehovah's like "Nu, uh. Red meat only. Do I seem like a vegetarian to you? Wait 'til I flood the whole earth; then you'll see!"
    Cain, being envious of Jehovah's favour is furious, and kills his brother.

Jehovah asks after Abel (the favourite) and Cain pretends he doesn't know where he is.
    But Jehovah's already knows he killed Abel because ... well, because he's God.
    And so Cain is punished by being cast out, and wandering the land East of Eden.

Which justice is what you get for murdering your brother, right? Well, if you're a fundamentalist, maybe (and feel free to tell us your interpretation). For the rest of us, the story is probably best read as a prototype myth that explains why children of parents fight with one another, who's to blame, and what happens as a result.

The story tells us that if parents set unrealistic and unreasonable standards of their children, the children are not furious with the parents, but - desolate without their approval, are filled with murderous rage for one another. Terrible things happen, and the family is sundered.

Which is very relevant, because we have a company who's apparently provided all good things for us, but also failed to clarify exactly how the good things are to be enjoyed. Some cope with that better than others, and the ones who don't are so enraged they do their level best to get rid of those who do; there's much anger and hurt, and people go off and play different games.

It's a very old story we're playing out here.

9. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Wolf likes this.
  10. Andre82

Andre82 Well-Known Member

I don't really think positive reinforcement is going to accomplish much, and will probably come off as brown nosing.
    Also I am not really sure the developers even really think of this stuff as a issue in all honesty. I think the game devs count on local meta's to just sort of "work it out".

Having used the "abuse it tell it's fixed" method of eliciting a response to some successes in the past I am personally in favor of it.
    If I was playing a Dev, IJW or at Interplanetario one of the first things I would do is force the issue by abusing the rules. The answer might be temporary and subject to change but it would be a answer.
    I am honestly surprised this was not done at the last Interplanetario.

Wolf and Hecaton like this.
  11. Wolf

Wolf https://youtube.com/@StudioWatchwolf

Well, you'll remember that despite our extensive planning for Inter' 2018, with our match pairing already fixed, and the judges duly bribed in advance, you decided you couldn't afford the trip, and I had to cancel my place at the last minute.

It would have been a legendary confrontation, mate; legendary! :smile:

#subversivegamersftw

#51 Wolf, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Andre82 likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation