1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do warcors do?

Discussion in 'News' started by Thaddius, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Pierzasty

Pierzasty Null-Space Entity

Just get 2 newbies and have them fight each other while you moderate.

ObviousGray and Wolf like this.
  2. barakiel

barakiel Echo Bravo Master Sergeant

Infinity's initial barrier to entry is really high, but once you get your foot in the door, it's pretty easy to learn.

I view the main purpose fo the Warcor program is to help players get through that first door. The only reason we have any kind of label is to make it easier for brand-new players to connect with a Warcor and learn the game.

All other responsibilities (community organizing, tournament organizing, regular gaming, etc.) can be done by anybody.

Solar, Melchior, chaos11 and 10 others like this.
  3. RogueJello

RogueJello Well-Known Member

If it's your first time at fight club, you must fight!

Abrilete, Stiopa, Usashi and 3 others like this.
  4. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

What's the actual process for becoming a Warcor? How does one apply, get approved, what's involved?

How does CB support your Warcor effort? Are you handed out any supplies, stuff to handout to the new players, event kits to make campaigns / tournaments? Else?

5. zlavin

zlavin Well-Known Member

https://infinitythegame.com/community/warcors

6. DukeofEarl

DukeofEarl Well-Known Member

Good tips. I wish I had read that before the couple of ColdFront rounds I played with a new player on Saturday.

Wolf likes this.
  7. tdc

tdc ALEPH Fragment
    Warcor

That's exactly what I do as much as humanly possible.... even grabbing regulars to play instead of playing myself... stupid anti newbie dice

8. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

I should probably apply that rule to myself the next time I teach a new player!

WarCors are like WarmaHordes Pressgangers. They're the guys whose volunteer-job is to find people and get them excited about Infinity. Whether that means selling someone on cool models, rules, or just battlefields that look like actual places in the real world. And this reminds me, next time I'm over west of the Cascade mountains, I need to visit @TheDiceAbide .

9. ObviousGray

ObviousGray Frenzied Mushroom

Seconded. Attending a bootcamp, watching as Newcomers demolish each other and giving a rule advise, plan an event for new players.. All these require time and resources. This includes even lending your own armies for test play.

Doing it willingly, the one should be a Warcor.

PauloCavalcanti and n21lv like this.
  10. TheDiceAbide

TheDiceAbide Thank you for your compliance.
    Warcor

Doooo it!

Hecaton likes this.
  11. Wolf

Wolf https://youtube.com/@StudioWatchwolf

I love meeting other players from far-off places. We should have a thread for roaming Infinity players! :smile:

Daniel Darko likes this.
  12. BigBadFox

BigBadFox Well-Known Member

Except Warcors still exist.
    What is a Warcor? The guy other people like hanging around with.

#32 BigBadFox, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  13. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

I've only had contact with PP and their Press Gangers / game systems a few years ago. What are their issues? Press Gangers are not a thing anymore?

14. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

No need to slag on other companies.

Yeah, they disbanded their program. The timing suggests that the incident of a group of MtG judges suing Wizards of the Coast might have contributed to them deciding to pull the plug on the program.

RogueJello and Teslarod like this.
  15. BigBadFox

BigBadFox Well-Known Member

The list, what PP does wrong is long and should not be part of this thread. It may be harsh, but the way how PP treats their customers is just WRONG!

I played very actively in MK2 and the rules for Warmahordes are still nice, its the company behind that isnt. And the way they disbanded the Press ganger program was just a huge mistake. Im pretty sure they could have find a way to continue the programm, despite the MtG judge thing.

Every game needs a community and Warcors/PG are the engine that keep this running.

16. injenegr

injenegr Well-Known Member

Warcors? Got 2 in our local arena, found them doing nothing.

17. Daniel Darko

Daniel Darko Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I don't (obviously) pet interested players concerning crits. "I give myself a handycap - 'cause you know, I don't wanna frustrate you."
    Well, it is still better than showing them the ropes by hanging them... :innocent:

I explain the F2F-roll at the beginning and mention the "crit-rule" for the first time, when they crit me. Therefor they are one crit ahead... :A::blush:
    "Oh man! That's a headshot!" :+1:

And I start with one trooper unwary separated from the others.:sweat_smile: On the one hand that one is an easy target ("Nice catch. Good analyses!") on the other hand the others are one trooper short, which helps creating successful moments.

But the best plan has been already mentioned: Just pit two new players together.

18. kurrelgyre

kurrelgyre Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I do the same, the FTF, Bormal rolls, the stats, Burst in active Vs inactive, and the limited ammo types in play. Then I tel them to go wild, I find the younger players come up with wild actions, like Kum troopers flying across the table, engineers blowing up things to make it easier, climbing and jumping, older players don't often think like this

What I don't do all the time is tell them the target numbers "I" have to get, that way the crit becomes a hit or miss depending on the way the game goes, after all I am trying to teach the way the system works, not place troopers, move troopers, remove troopers from the board. I find it a lot more fun when the players see what they can do in infinity, which they can't do in other games :)

Daniel Darko likes this.
  19. n21lv

n21lv SymbioHate

Though I'm not a warcor, one thing I tend to teach new players is to roll first, THEN calculate the target value. The reason for this is that when they do it the usual way (count all the mods first, then roll dice), they will spend 15 to 30 seconds to just determine the target value which is not needed in most cases. If you rolled too high, you will know it immediately. If you rolled too low, you will also know it immediately. Then, after discarding all obvious misses (or hits), calculate the MODs to determine the fate of those remaining rolls.

By sticking to this technique you're simplifying the ARO decision from counting all the numbers to just comparing the number of negative MODs stacked against you vs the number of positive MODs. E.g. if I know that my BS is 11 and you're in my -3 range, and you also have TO Camouflage (so an extra -6), I don't need to calculate everything to know that my odds to hit your troop in ARO are way too low. I think it also speeds up the game a bit, but that's subjective.

Papa Bey, Deltervees, Macbain and 3 others like this.
  20. Musterkrux

Musterkrux Well-Known Member

Don't be asinine.

PP dropped the PG program because of the lawsuit that was chasing after Wizards of the Coast and the Magic the Gathering judges/community reps who demanded minimum wage for their time as 'employees' of WotC. If CB had to contend with War Cors making a legitimate demand for payment they'd drop the War Cor program like a poo-sandwich.

Additionally, the PG program was costing PP a lot of money for little gain, as they had to hire a full time Quarter Master just to manage the PGs and ship out all of their PG-rewards which, let's be honest, here weren't always legitimately earned by people purporting to be running intro games and events,

BigBadFox likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation