1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An Iron Testudo: Roman Themed Steel Phalanx

Discussion in 'ALEPH' started by Golem2God, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

Greetings Aleph players,

I've been thinking of buying some conversion bits and Steel Phalanx units to bring a sci-fi Roman Testudo to life on the tabletop. Since I'm new to the ways of Aleph I was wondering what unit boxes & blister packs I should buy? I was thinking of buying Myrmidons, Thorakitia & Dactyl fireteams with Hector, Thrasymedes, Machaon & Acmon. But what do you guys and gals have to say about this? What purchase path should I take and how should I build lists at teh most common levels? (150, 200, 300 & even 400 points)

I await any replies and constructive ideas. Also what color should I give my future Roman themed troops? Red, blue, green, white, purple or some other color? It doesn't have to be historically accurate since this is an Aleph recreation of a Roman force.

Sincere Thanks,
    Golem2God

2. Wolf

Wolf https://youtube.com/@StudioWatchwolf

I'm sure that would go down well at the War Crow (annual Infinity painting competition) conversion category, and - since the biggest hurdle to my game is assembling the mini.s in the first place, I'm awed by your endeavour!

Your only problem might be reoresenting the famously disciplined troop formations, since CB tend to highly individual and dramatic poses. For a colour scheme, youd probably best go with traditional Roman centurion red robes and leather kilt, to help the viewer’s expectations of the theme?

#2 Wolf, Jan 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    Golem2God likes this.
  3. Golem2God

Thank you. I will have to put my best foot forward then. I'm also planning on replacing each Greek personality with a Roman one. I'm thinking of Mark Antony as the Roman Achilles & maybe Sulla as a Hector. Still pondering over the many famous military and non-military people of the Republic, early Empire, mid Empire or late Empire.
    Well I can try to convert some poses or use other sculpts from Infinity that would fit a Roman type of stance. Then again sci-fi gives me some leeway on how the force will look. I would think an Aleph Roman force would include Nano-Screens like the Gwalios Shasvastii as their "shields". Since SP doesn't allow for shields outside of Hector (tinbot) I'll just focus on other aspects to make the models more Roman in look.

stevenart74 likes this.
  4. Golem2God

Is there a difference in the size of the older Steel Phalanx sculpts and the newer ones? For example, are the new Thorakitia out of place next to the older Myrmidons? Dactyl vs Myrmidons? Drakios & Scylla etc...?

stevenart74 likes this.
  5. Wolf

Compared to Myrmidons, Penthisilea and others in the Steel Phalanx range, Drakios (which is one of the best looking models, I reckon) is certainly sculpted to a slightly larger scale, but I don't think Scylla is (and can't check for a while, sorry). Ajax is also a little larger, and it's not clear whether he's supposed to represent a larger soldier (since his fluff implies he'd be the same size).

I do think it's true to say that Corvus Belli's models across all the factions are tending to get larger in the last few years, but I couldn't say so authoritatively; paging a few of the Usual Suspects who might know: @xagroth, @Nemo No Name, @Section9

Golem2God likes this.
  6. Wolf

I trust that Maximus Decimus Meridius will be featured, along with his iconic mask?

Good lad; you have 'til the end of the month to show us the first ones. :wink:

7. Golem2God

Nani?
    We will see. I'm more focused on finding a head suitable to bring James Purefoy to the tabletop as Mark Antony and Richard Harris as Sulla.

stevenart74 likes this.
  8. Golem2God

Any pictures of size comparison between older and younger Aleph models is also appreciated. I found some Roman conversion heads I want to buy but I want to be sure they will fit nicely on both eras of sculpts.

stevenart74 likes this.
  9. Káosz Brigodéros

Káosz Brigodéros Vanguard, Inc.

I can verify Drakios is bit bigger (not taller but more bulky) than old-scale Myrmidons and the rest of my army. Scylla blends in totally. (Apart from these two models I only own old-scale models.) Unfortunately I am unable to post photos at the moment…
    We are here to help.

Wolf and Golem2God like this.
  10. Golem2God

Thank you for that little bit of help. Like I said pics will go a long way in helping but describing also does the job.
    Do you think that the Aleph sculpts could fit or molded into a roman look or that another faction's armor would be a better choice?

stevenart74 likes this.
  11. Káosz Brigodéros

Káosz Brigodéros Vanguard, Inc.

De nada.
    I think putting some green stuff to represent a cloak on most Myrmidon models would make a good centurionesque appearance. Maybe a horse-hair atop on the helm and you're just fine.

DukeofEarl, Wolf and Golem2God like this.
  12. Golem2God

The heads I've found will take care of the face of the force but having a cloak might be a good idea for the Lt. loadouts.

stevenart74 likes this.
  13. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

In general, there are 3 'generations' of sculpts.
    1. The very first generation (as exemplified by the Zanshi HMG) were a little cartoony (particularly in the faces) and aren't too far in height/bulk from current sculpts. Very comparable to Hasslefree minis, actually, so I'd call them 30mm. Hand-sculpted.
    2. With the Human Sphere book, we started seeing 28mm truescale (as exemplified by the old Keisotsu and Wildcats, or the Janissary AP rifle+blade). These are generally smaller than 1st gen sculpts, but have better faces. Comparable in size to Perry Brothers minis (and the Lord of the Rings mini range). Hand-sculpted.
    3. Then we get to the CAD-sculpted minis. Those have grown a bit to ~32mm, but still tend to have truescale proportions like the second generation. This generation is still comparable to Hasslefree, but also comparable to the old Anima Tactics and the Relic Knights minis.

14. Wombat85

Wombat85 Well-Known Member

Honestly I think USAriadna would work really well for this, just change the shoulder pouldrens, adapt the cheek plates and give them crests.

Golem2God likes this.
  15. Golem2God

@Section9 So the Myrmidons would be second generation and around 4mm smaller in height than the newer Thorakitai correct? You think that heroic sized heads would look good & not out of place on those 2nd generation sculpts? If I used other Aleph or faction sculpts?
    Minutemen & Marauders do come to mind. I think it is worth a try. Good thing I have one headless Marauder in my backlog. I guess I could order those heads and see how they fit. Perhaps mix some Aleph and USA parts together to create something unique.

stevenart74 and Wolf like this.
  16. Golem2God

The Marauders have Roman-like helmets. So it is possible to add Helm Crests to them and you got a Centurion type head. Howbeit, I'm going to try PuppetsWar and their different Grecco-Roman heads. But for those who like their minis to be all or mostly CB parts a Roman head can be done. https://puppetswar.eu/category.php?n=45&id_category=197
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Puppetswar have a similar skull head in their items. I'll see if I'll grab those later on. First I've got to give the Human-faced one a try.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

stevenart74 likes this.
  17. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

No, heroic-sized heads (say, puppetswar) are going to be way too big, especially on the 'true28' minis (I think the Thorakitai are also 2nd Gen minis, though, at least the ones in the Steel Phalanx 'starter' are).

Hasslefree heads are about right for the current generation of minis, a little big for the true28s. Maxmini heads can be rather variable, but @Cypherkk bought their Samurai set and those are dead-on for Infinity minis. So I'd try Maxmini's 'gladiator helmets'.

stevenart74 and Golem2God like this.
  18. Golem2God

True. The new Thorakitai box however is up to date.
    I'll look into those sites. Thank you for this bit of information.

stevenart74 likes this.
  19. Golem2God

After checking these places out I've come to the conclusion that they won't do compared to the Puppetswar heads. So I'll take my chances with them.

#19 Golem2God, Jan 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    stevenart74 likes this.
  20. daszul

daszul Well-Known Member

The Highlanders might be worth to consider,
    as their kilts might be good tunics,
    if you intend to change the heads anyways.

Golem2God likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation