1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fluff on Varuna

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Kielax, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Kielax

Kielax Member

Hi, where can i find the best fluff about Ressources, Geology, Infrastructure on Varuna and in general about Ressources and Energy? At the moment i have the 2.ed. Rulebook and the RPG book.

Thanks

2. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Probably RPG PanO book and 3rd Offensive book.

Kielax likes this.
  3. stevenart74

stevenart74 Well-Known Member

There are some Cool Ideas around the Web for "Floating Cities" of the near future, done with REALISTIC Engineering of contemporary capabilities, that seems a lot similar to the few previewed Art featuring "Pan O Waterworld" that we have seen. . .

I have one of the coolest "Last Good Stuff" manuals of the VENERABLE Talsorian R.P.G. "Cyberpunk 2020" (as Cyberpunk R.P.G. GREATLY influenced the "Basic Aspect" of the Infinity Wargame, as it grew from a custom Game played many years ago by @Interruptor and close friends, some of whom became "Corvus Belli Core Staff"). . .

Called "Stormfront" that Manual features in the first part the two BIGGEST "Oceanic Developement" Megacorps of Cyberpunk World (as 2020 could be imagined in the 1990 !!!) that from the first "Cold War Black Ops" of mutual sabotage start to attack thier various Seaside Labs, Floating Factories and Underwater Research Center all around the Earth's seas. . .

There are some good stuff about Marine Black Ops, Underwater Cyborgs, Stealth Submarines and Ocean Wildlife adapted with Cybernetic Implants that could be interesting to check. . .

. . . . .

Or there is a less developed, but still useful Roleplaying Game, called "Blue Planet" that features Terran Colonists difficultly adapting to a TOTALLY Oceanic Waterworld. . .

Both could be useful as "Cyberpunk 2020" is a little "Low Tech" if compared to Infinity Timeline, while "Blue Planet" is FAR MORE advanced (more or less "Star Wars" level of stuff, but adapted for Underwater). . .

There are some other cool "Sci-Fi Waterworld" material around (like a good "R.I.F.T.S. Undersea" Manual of the "Science Fiction Postapocalyptic Fantasy Crossover" setting by Kevin Simbieda) but the ones that I signaled before are LESS centered on "Sea-Based" Weapons, Vehicles (and Magic !!) and more to develop BELIEVABLE Material for Undersea Structure, Everyday Life, Food Harvesting and the employ of Submarines and Vessels by Corporations (and so FAR MORE useful to portrait the very good "Cutthroat Lobby Background" of Pan Oceania). . .

ev0k and Kielax like this.
  4. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Agree with both of @stevenart74 's other-game suggestions. CP Stormfront is a great mission idea-generator for Infinity, and the Blue Planet really should be called 'Varuna' and not Poseidon. (Though BP does get into some lost colony stuff, too.)

I've only done a quick scan through a friend's copy of 3rd Offensive, I don't remember a whole lot of detail about Varuna. Better bet is definitely the PanO RPG book. @Solodice can tell you how much stuff there is about Varuna there.

Kielax and stevenart74 like this.
  5. Solodice

Solodice Freshly Squeezed Troll

Oh, the PanO splat book has *checks book* 16 pages dedicated to Varuna covering everything from geography, fauna/flora, economy, and major cities and areas of the planet. So, yeah, the PanO splat book is definitely going to give you a deeper dive then the core book will.

Kielax and stevenart74 like this.
  6. Kielax

Kielax Member

The PanO RPG book should be availible for buying soon, right? I´ve seen it on the kickstarter site ready for proof reading.

I´ve always heard of Cyberpunk RPG only as the alternative for Shadowrun, more like the Neuromancer book and without the fantasy stuff. I hope i can check it out some time, but for now i have the infinity RGP :) But the Stormfront Supplement seems valuable.

The thing is, i haven´t figured out the energy- situation in Infinity. Is it based on nuclear- fusion? All technology that is possible, i think, is based around how the energy supply works. I haven´t seen any description about if TAGs use batteries or some kind of in-built reactor. I hope i receive the Infinity RPG book today an get some answers :)

7. Solodice

Solodice Freshly Squeezed Troll

You might be slightly disappointed then. That kind of nitty gritty technical talk isn't really there.

The closet you'll get to energy is PanO is working on a Dyson swarm around the star where Neoterra is. Other than that it's all vague on what the Human Sphere uses for energy production (probably left to the reader to decide if they care enough about it).

Kielax likes this.
  8. Kielax

Kielax Member

Okay. Maybe not bad to leave it out and leave it free to my imagination. But the energy question would be the first that i would solve to create a SF setting. I guess the Nomad Spaceships does´nt run on coal or windpower. Well coal would be actually be fine because you can blow the co2 and dust into space. You don´t need to care about environment :D.

I just assume nuclear fusion is fully developed then, as the state of the art of the technology today implies. It is possible today and just need to be applied on a large scale an made comercial succesfull. The forward- development is visible. I could not imagine any other energy technology for a civilization this far advanced as in infinity. The Dyson swarm seems interesting but is has to be build, which affords a lot of energy, that leads again to fusion.

9. Kielax

Kielax Member

Rpg Core Rulebook Page 267: "using Shasvastii saboteurs to destroy (on Paradiso ) crucial resources like fusion reactors and. .. " There we have it.

Section9 and Ben Kenobi like this.
  10. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

You can actually build an electrostatic confinement fusion reactor with off-the-shelf components and 1960s tech (one major vacuum pump and a 12kv power supply transformer from a neon sign). Problem is, Farnsworth Fusors can't reach breakeven, they consume more power than you can recover from them. They look really cool running away on your workbench, though!

[​IMG]
    (problem is that the electrodes absorb too much heat and can't easily move that heat elsewhere, so they tend to burn out and that kills the fusion reaction)

The trick to Dyson Swarms is to make them more or less self-assembling, so that the assembly robot builds one piece of the swarm, then builds another assembly robot, which then make two pieces of the swarm and two assemblers, which then make 4 pieces of the swarm and 4 assemblers, etc. Takes a long time to get going, but after about 10 generations of new assemblers things really take off (and you can probably stop making new assemblers, you're making 1024 new swarm pieces each time).

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation