1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In your opinion, which faction has the highest turnover and why?

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Keyrott, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Considering that for the entire period from 1865 to 1894, the average Tribesman or settler was better armed than the US Army, I disagree.

Tribes/settlers had lever-action repeaters, while the Army had single shot rifles.

Scribbler likes this.
  2. SmaggTheSmug

SmaggTheSmug Well-Known Member

Funnily enough Morats are the closest Infinity has to Space Marines. Tough, shooty, direct and unrelenting units with an assault drop troop and a big shooty robot with an animal skin on it. Add to that Morats, much like Marines, being mostly immune to morale-based game effects and being noticeably larger than other S2 guys and you have a near perfect match. They just have a few pet Tyranids on top of that.

TheEmptyRoad, eciu, Barrogh and 4 others like this.
  3. Musterkrux

Musterkrux Well-Known Member

Better guns is only half the equation here. There's also the 'bigger/better army' part of his statement. I haven't gone through the entire history of conflict between the US Army and any Indian nations at the time but from little research (admittedly about 15 minutes on Wikipedia) I've done it seems like the US Army definitively had the 'bigger' (if not 'better) army in most cases. :)

DFW Ike likes this.
  4. daszul

daszul Well-Known Member

And I guess it wasn't just "a vanilla faction seems much more flexible than a sectorial"...

5. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

This makes me want to test out a small Primaris Marine force outfited to Morat loadouts. I think it would be an interesting project just to see if you can use just GW parts/bits to make this a reality. Would also be a good idea for 40k Marine players to step into Infinity using Morat rules with their GW models? Just to test out the system and see if they are interested before jumping into purchases?

oldGregg likes this.
  6. oldGregg

oldGregg Well-Known Member

I’d be curious to see how this turns out for you.

Golem2God likes this.
  7. Golem2God

Same here. Now I need to figure out which sets/bits are needed for which units then find them at a good price. What Legion/Chapter/Warband, Loyalist or Traitor, would you choose for the color scheme or go with something custom? Maybe even add some conversions to the Primaris as well?

8. oldGregg

oldGregg Well-Known Member

Alpha Legion seems to fit Infinity in general.

Golem2God likes this.
  9. Golem2God

Perhaps Raven Guard as well? Or go full screaming into the field as Imperial Fists/Space Wolves with Antipodes? I'm thinking of taking a custom chapter I've had in mind for years and use them as the guinea pigs for this idea.

10. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

In my "meta" any army that isn't the new shiny on the block (when a "new" army box comes out, the bandwagon trundles into town and quite a few passengers get on it, leaving their old army in the gutter (or ebay) as they switch to the new improved "Sliced bread 2.0").

Its kind of amusing to watch, especially since they don't usually "dip their toes" into the armies to start with, but jump straight into a 300+pt army in one hit, then churn and burn, rinse and repeat. It's even funnier when it's an army they get back to because they used to have it, but sold it all.

11. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

It would not be particularly surprising in my environment since 300 pts games are the norm except occasional 200 pts training games.

You can rarely get below that without erasing army's identity anyway, so...

oldGregg likes this.
  12. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Well-Known Member

At the beginning, the should at first learn the basic rules. Identity of an army is completley secondary.
    I once gave a demogame to a new player (his second game) and he wanted to play 300 points. It wasn't a good experience for me and not for him.

Let new players play 2-3 150 points games and then 3-5 200 points games. Every thing else is Bu**sh**

13. Barrogh

I was talking about context. @chromedog was talking about old players who would try to get 300 pts format before dipping their toes, so it wasn't about learning basic rules, and actually about finding out how armies are played. Which is tough in low point games anyway, I believe.

oldGregg and Ben Kenobi like this.
  14. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

It is awkward, though, that you can't hack as part of an impetuous order.

15. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

Oh, it's not just the older players.
    Quite a few of the newer players also seem to do the "jump into hell, both feet forward and full damn the torpedoes" approach. Yes, they might have the basic rules down, but they still have to learn ALL of their army's foibles in one go that way - no wonder they get disillusioned and crash out.

300pts may be the "tournament standard" but tournaments AREN'T the only way to play (and shouldn't be the only way). It just seems that throwing caution to the wolves under the bus seems to be the current gamer mindset (or else it's been there forever and I've only noticed it recently - because the gamers I started with were "frugal" when it came to spending - like me - because of shit paying jobs).

16. Section9

Deathwatch would work, and gives you some additional squad flexibility, adding a jumpy Primaris and the flamminator Primaris.

Golem2God likes this.
  17. Golem2God

That is a good idea as well. Still need to fully check out the Primaris kits and options before going through with this idea.

18. Barrogh

Well, for what it's worth, my locals seem to widely believe that Infinity doesn't work very well in lower point ranges. Reason stated is that you can't take enough tools to counter most of the stuff you might run into, so it generates a lot of terrible matchups on a listbuilding level, avoiding which is why many people moved to Infinity in the first place.

Of course, they still prefer to run introductory games at lower points, but when it comes to those, noone expects them to show what armies are about, only roughly what Infinity is about.

RogueJello and Golem2God like this.
  19. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

These can be both true: tournament play is most optimally balanced at 300pts (although neither 200pts nor 400pts is outright broken) but non-ITS is fine at other points (in large part because things like known opponent and single mission can ease the list-building issues, as it allows you to focus on taking the tools you'll need for that match up).

Faction character can start to show from as little as 125pts, although admittedly you don't really start seeing divergence until usual 200. I do agree that faction identity is most obvious at 300pts where you have the room to take faction toys but are limited enough that you still need to focus on faction strenghs.

Golem2God likes this.
  20. Section9

Quick-builds are definitely the cheapest way to go. 6/16 Reivers I own are quick-builds. Though the regular Reiver kit has all sorts of extra bits, enough for everyone to have either blades or carbines. Quick-builds are blades only.

List-wise, I took five basic dakka Primaris (4 armed with autos, one stalker, and one of the autos has a GL), one jumpy Primaris w/ plasma, two Reivers, one flammifer Primaris (though with guns), and two plasma Primaris (one assault, one heavy). I know that totals 11 dudes, but that lets me mix and match a bit as needed. Built 3 squads that way.

In order to have 6 total plasma Primaris, I bought a 5-man box of plasmas, a 10-man of dakka, a 5-man of dakka, and the Anniversary Veteran Sergeant. Rolled one of the dakkas into plasma, since there are lots of bits.

Golem2God likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation