1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wendigo's plog

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by wendigo, Nov 1, 2018.

1. n21lv

n21lv SymbioHate

Hatail blister has regular Combi arm and extra bits that you can use to replace the Combi with are Viral Combi and Sniper Rifle. HMG is only available on Gao-Tarsos, Ectros, and Chaksa Auxiliaries, but the latter have slightly different HMG design.
    I would actually love CB to produce a blister containing all weapons available for one faction. And if they are worried about the number of SKUs, just do a limited run via KS or Fig. That would make so many conversion enthusiasts happy! Can we talk @Bostria into making this possible?

Golem2God likes this.
  2. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

@n21lv That would be a great product for CB to offer.
    @wendigo I don't think there are anymore Chaska's left now. As for your painting it is still lovely eye candy and it works so well on your Tohaa force.

3. wendigo

wendigo Nomad Artichoke

So many people would buy this. I have trouble buying and sacrificing a model just to get a Tohaa HMG, but I see people do it all the time.

Kaauri Sentinels! These are fun models but they weren't terribly fun to paint as they are all spindly. The blue skin came out a little darker than I wanted but overall they work. They are wonderful DZ defense if you are going with a spammier list.

I'm going to start posting pictures a bit slower now that I've caught up to my painted Tohaa with the pictures in this thread. I have over 20 more models started but no more finished. Stay tuned!
    [​IMG]

Oni, Koin-Koin, jherazob and 4 others like this.
  4. Golem2God

I will.
    I can see how the blue came out darker then on the other models. However, I don't think you'll repeat it in the future. Looking ahead towards the full group picture of this Tohaa force. Hope you get them all painted in time for spring 2019.

5. wendigo

wendigo Nomad Artichoke

I have been painting, I swear! I took a short break from the teal 'n purples to knock out an Aida Swanson. She's not the greatest profile, but she can be fun and it was nice to switch back to olive drab and khaki for a little bit.

[​IMG]

Oni, Koin-Koin, Section9 and 3 others like this.
  6. wendigo

wendigo Nomad Artichoke

Since we're on a merc kick right now, here's a Cube Jäger. He's technically Tohaa, so I went ahead and wrapped him in the same color scheme as the rest of the army. I love this model. Not a huge fan of the profile, but I've played him a couple of times and had fun.

Oh, I also tried an experiment to get LoF markers on my bases. I did a forest green to ecto green airbrush gradient along the front half using an MDF base marking device I got off of the internet. The top edge ended up not being clean on account of the tool not being flush with the beveled base so I tried to clean up the line with a freehand brush. It wasn't as clean as I had liked. Also, having essentially dark green along the sides really makes it hard to tell when the edge of his LoF is. I am probably going to try something else for the others.

[​IMG]

Oni, Section9, Koin-Koin and 2 others like this.
  7. Golem2God

@wendigo He looks like a great model especially in your color scheme. One more step closer to complete your Tohaa force.

8. wendigo

wendigo Nomad Artichoke

Kerail Preceptors! Man, I really loved painting these battlecats. This was one of my favorite boxes to paint and I wish there were more units like this. They are AVA 2 and I am tempted to pick up a second box and paint them yellow and green like my Symbiomates, but the price tag has kept me away thus far. I used these guys all the time at first but once I got a bunch of painted models I told myself I was going to hold off until they were done. Well, no more excuses, these babies are ready for the table!

[​IMG]

Oni, Section9, Koin-Koin and 2 others like this.
  9. Golem2God

Oh how I was there were more of these types of units as well. Only Combined or Ariadna has them though. Those Antipodes are amazing models in their own right.
    I guess you'll be grabbing another box now won't you?
    Would these beast be worth purchasing the box for conversions or model swapping with another beast unit in your eyes?

10. maru

maru Well-Known Member

so you made Tigers of Dirz XD
    [​IMG]

redeemer and jherazob like this.
  11. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

One LOF mark I've seen masks off the front 180 and hits the edges with a splat of red.

For yours, I'd reverse the light/dark: Put the bright green at the sides, darkening to the center.

12. n21lv

n21lv SymbioHate

I hate when people do red LOF markings. I am slightly red-colourblind and red markings are a pain to notice from a standing position. Almost every time I have to lean and look closely to understand where the front is.

If you want to make your markings cool, you can paint it so that it looks like some scanner display.

Section9 and oldGregg like this.
  13. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Valid point about the red, since I'm also slightly red-green colorblind.

I tried to go super-subtle with my front 180, and I went too subtle. The dark color is the same as my light color when it's in the shadow of the base... oops!

I really liked ... think it was Precinct Omega's Haqq, which had the first verse of the Koran painted across the front 180. One of the other ideas I've seen is a bright blue scanner gradient from bottom to top.

jherazob likes this.
  14. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

I had a few questions about this base.
    What did you used for the plants?
    Is this vegetal or plastic?
    Is this the natural color or did you paint it ?

I'm looking for something similar (extraterrestrial vegetation) for my next project and would be more than willing to stole your method.

15. wendigo

wendigo Nomad Artichoke

I am using Warsenal Runohaa ( https://warsen.al/collections/resin-bases/products/runohaa-bases ) for all my Tohaa models. They are light grey resin. I drilled a 5mm hole in the bottom of each for a magnet then primed and painted them with the same colors as my figure scheme with an airbrush.
    I white glue an Army Painter Meadow Flowers tuft near the middle of the base ( https://shop.thearmypainter.com/products.php?ProductGroupId=3#Battlefields XP: Meadows Flowers Tuft )
    Then I pull apart some Army Painter Summer Undergrowth and white glue it around the meadow flowers tuft ( https://shop.thearmypainter.com/products.php?ProductGroupId=3#Summer Undergrowth, Basing )

I don't think they look quite as fetching as Angel's paint jobs below, but after the figure gets attached and all the tufts go on, you can barely see the surface detail so I am fine with the results.
    [​IMG]

Koin-Koin likes this.
  16. wendigo

wendigo Nomad Artichoke

I think you're right about this. It would be much easier to read. I'm not looking forward to it, but I think I am going to paint all of the base sides black again and reapply the LoF gradient strip in reverse, with the light green on the sides.

Chaksa Auxiliars! Man, oh man, am I sick of painting potato people. They aren't horrible models, the poses are fine, but the design of Chaksas is uninspired to say the least. I finally buckled down and did them all the remaining Chaksas in Tohaa left at once, just to get them over with.

I always try and have at least one, if not 3 or 4 auxiliars in my list, although I pretty much take the heavy flamer/sensor/baggage profile exclusively. You can never have too many sensors, especially in the age of TAK. I have gotten both the HMG and SHRL profiles in random lists and they fold under fire about as easily as you would imagine they would.

[​IMG]

17. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Part of the base is lichen. Natural, pretinted, including reds and yellows (Autumn). Look in model train shops (and for the other plants too). And if you look some more, you can even find weirder, like blues and pinks, but not as common as natural colors. It will harden, and become plastic like, with superglue. IIRC the natural color is pale bone and you can paint or tint it.

Koin-Koin likes this.
  18. Koin-Koin

Thank you both for the tips.
    I can easily find the Army Painter stuff and other major brands (Vallejo/Prince August,...) too so I won't spend weeks on it.
    Beside, I should try to visit some fish-tank shop as a friend of mine says we could find the exact same material but much cheaper.

About the colours, I'm really looking for a non earth kind (vintage sci-fi style) so maybe some blue/violet.

19. wendigo

wendigo Nomad Artichoke

This is a neat idea. I went poking around a large regional fish store with a similar idea, but the fake foliage I found was a little too large in scale for use on a 28mm base. It was also a bit glossy, but you can knock that down pretty quick with a matte varnish pass. I hope you have better luck than I did on your quest.

Tohaa support pack! I really didn't intend on picking this box up as I didn't want to paint the additional Chaksas and I don't see much point in a doctor for Tohaa. I had a painting contest with a coworker back in November to see who could paint the most models start to finish in a month as a way to motivate me to tear through this Tohaa. The loser bought the winner $20 worth of miniatures. Well I won, and this was the only Tohaa box I didn't have, so he bought it for me.

I have since tried the doctor in an ARO triad, and she has brought a Gao-Rael sniper back on a couple of clutch occasions. I am always torn with the whole servants-or-triad decision, and I'm not sure which is the best way to play it. Either way, she doesn't see a lot of table time but I am glad to have some more models done.

[​IMG]

Section9, Manfred_VR, Oni and 2 others like this.
  20. Koin-Koin

Now that you mention it, his advice may have been more about scenery than bases.
    Still I can have a look, I may find other things that can be of hobby use.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation