1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What will 2019 bring?

Discussion in 'News' started by RogueJello, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Did I hit a sensitive spot?

40k has a typical movement on troops that's significantly higher than Infinity and is made to be significantly more clustered with a higher emphasis on melee or near melee range. In effect, 40k's 50% bigger board still follows broadly speaking Warmachine's scale where each trooper can shoot only as far as they can run in 6 seconds.

So sure, it can be done, but... really? What does Corvus Belli have to offer to make this tankfinity game you're asking for stand out that isn't already offered by Dakkadakka's game or Games Workshop, and that isn't just Infinity-but-with-tanks?

2. Pen-dragon

Pen-dragon Deva

Except 40k is exactly a reason why not to do tanks at a 32mm? scale. They do it in 40k, and it doesn't work, even with the ruleset trying to be bent around that idea.

I fear the trading card game, it seems like low hanging fruit, too easy to grab, so it might actually happen. But i hate collectable games with artificial 'rareness', and I don't purchase mystery products, so it would be a hard pass for me.

3. redeemer

redeemer Well-Known Member

let's hope it is a living card game (netrunner game of thrones you get all the cards from each expansion in one package) not TCG(magic the gathering you get random cards which usually suck) because it sucks trying to gather super rare cards just to make a playable deck, the infinity universe has more than enough units and places to make for an amazing game if designed by the right people.

Abrilete likes this.
  4. Bohrdog

Bohrdog Santathematics

I would love to see a space combat level ship/fleet action game. I know I wont ever see it but it would be cool.

5. ilhan

ilhan New Member

"the black N represents another way to play Infinity"

Video game?

Ok just wishlisting… but hey, could be cool if they found the good partner.
    I was thinking of something in the vein of the last two shadowrun games or the last battletech game on computer.

oldGregg likes this.
  6. Bohrdog

Bohrdog Santathematics

That could be cool as a Black Ops style game.

7. Xeurian

Xeurian Well-Known Member

As long as they don't try too hard to make it like the table top version the way the Warmachine video game did.

coleslaw and RogueJello like this.
  8. Leviathan

Leviathan Hungry Caliban

License the X-Com or Shadowrun engines, make a few modifications, and there you go.

RogueJello likes this.
  9. Xeurian

Xeurian Well-Known Member

That sounds expensive.

10. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

I’m also throwing in with the campaign system guess.

DukeofEarl and RogueJello like this.
  11. Thaddius

Thaddius Well-Known Member

Shasvastii become exhalted by Tohaa and the 2 player battle box will be a cooperative way to play Infinity!! #Tohaamasterrace #2019yearofTohaa

GrantC, Xeurian, Cothel and 4 others like this.
  12. oldGregg

oldGregg Well-Known Member

I really really really really hope it isn't a card game. I know a lot of people might enjoy it, but that's a hard pass from me.

13. redeemer

redeemer Well-Known Member

Another thing I want from 2019 is new remotes for nomads. I know the nomad rems still look good, but after seeing the new aleph rems, made me want new shinies for nomads as well. A new szalamandra pilot can't hurt too the current one is just bad, a new lizard and geckos the iguana is fine as it is.

14. MikeTheScrivener

MikeTheScrivener O-12 Peace Kepper

I think "a new way to play infinity" probably refers to our current miniatures and how we use them. Something like a campaign, RPG, or board game hybrid fits that pretty nicely. I don't think card game is even on the table

15. Leviathan

Leviathan Hungry Caliban

$10 says campaign rules revamp, or just a new campaign in general.

BLOODGOD, sevsterino and oldGregg like this.
  16. meikyoushisui

meikyoushisui Competitor for Most Ignored User

A spitfire is a medium range machine gun, per the fluff. And we have a sub machine gun as well...

17. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Frozen Synapse general gameplay idea in a more typical game engine so people don't bounce off the blue on blue.

Leviathan and Xeurian like this.
  18. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Yeah, no. That's not how the game fluff is.

Ariadna is using literally 200+ year old cased ammo weapons, mostly AK-pattern (because you can make an AK with basic shop tools and a hydraulic press, the only hard part is the barrel). Cased ammo is reloadable and very reliable. They might not be using 5.45 or 7.62x39 ammo (my guess is actually 6.5 Grendel or close equivalent, which is better for dealing with wildlife on an unknown planet), but the magazines are too curved to be 5.56.

Morats are also using cased ammo, they are explicitly at about Human Sphere tech levels, far behind most of the rest of the Combined Army. Everyone else (Human Sphere and Combined) has transitioned to caseless, but is about the same power levels as the ancient cased ammo, based on the damage levels.

The Infinity HMG is light enough to be carried and fired from the shoulder by one man. .50BMG is neither light enough to be carried by one man, nor would it be controllable in full auto if it was light enough to be carried by one man. Frankly, 7.62NATO is almost too powerful to be controllable in full auto, even in a 25lb M60E3. Yes, I've shot one from the shoulder, had to qualify on one in the Navy after 9/11. It's a pain in the ass and requires some special training for anything longer than a 3-5 round burst. I can teach someone how to shoot it, if I had access to an M60 and you bring a lot of money for ammo.

The old N1/N2 rules had much different weapon ranges, generally much longer (-6 range was double the -3 range). The sniper rifles could actually reach clear out to 104", HMGs to 96". If you guesstimate a 1"=10m groundscale at max range (Infinity has to use a telescoping groundscale, or pistols would only reach about 2"), that's HMGs and sniper rifles reaching out to about 1km. That's not .50BMG, that's not even .338 Lapua (those will reach out to 1500-1700m and still be supersonic, if you're really good you can reach well past that). 1km is 7.62NATO or 6.5 Grendel reach. Or something with those power levels and ballistics, so we can use that as our yardstick for protection levels.

Spitfires shoot a different ammo than either the HMG or the combirifle, Red Furies shoot combirifle ammo. That's explicit in the Red Fury description.

The Mk12 shoots a 'big game cartridge'. That's explicit. I usually assume something comparable to .375H&H (9.5mm), which is a beast but usually not super-long-range. .375 caliber just doesn't have good ballistics for it, but does have roughly the same energy as .338 Lapua at short range.

As a matter of simplifying ammo supply, I usually assume that Snipers and HMGs actually shoot the same ammo, to the point that a sniper could raid a spare HMG magazine for ammo if the sniper ran out. For ballistics (and the ability to stuff explosives into a bullet), I typically assume that the HMG/sniper uses something around 8.5mm (yes, .338). That gives bullets that are long for their diameter, which gives better ballistics for long range.

Combirifles I assume to be 6.x mm, arguably 6.8mm as opposed to my preferred 6.5. They're optimized for short-range engagements, so they might even be something odd like the Russian 9x39 or even 12.7x55.

What?

Firearms is my other expensive hobby besides miniatures. *shrug*

Very lost in translation.

Yeah, I'm kinda hoping for that.

Either that or I need to chase down a copy of Dropfleet Commander. Dropfleet makes more sense than most space games, you're not really able to intercept in deep space, so most fighting will be right around the planets.

Possibly, but if the X-Com engine was used for that Phantom Doctrine game and for Battletech, it can't be too expensive to license.

And actually, Phantom Doctrine would be an excellent starting point for Infinity-on-the-computer!

The Spitfire shoots ammo different from the Combirifle. That's mentioned in the Red Fury fluff.

An actual Medium Machine Gun would shoot something bigger than 7.62NATO, but not as big as .50BMG. The current example shoots .338.

What we seem to have in Infinity is the 'General Purpose Machine Gun', which starts with the MG34 and continues on through the MG42, M60, and M240/FN MAG. Shoots full power rifle ammunition, rather than the lighter, intermediate cartridges of the assault rifle and FN Minimi/Squad Automatic Weapon.

"Sub machine gun" is a very old descriptor for 'a fully automatic firearm that shoots pistol ammunition', like the classic HK MP5 or Thompson (tommy gun). Dunno why the Infinity SMG hits as hard as a combirifle.

19. sevsterino

sevsterino Well-Known Member

This. New way to play Infinity, not a new game. I think a card game or a 15mm game would not count as Infinity and definitely not as a new way to play it. I agree that it is about a new way to play old miniatures with some specific new releases that can also be played in "normal" infinity. Imagine a campaign or a board game that uses name characters from different factions that can be played in Infinity as well either as characters with their own profiles or just as standard infinity profiles from specific units.

I believe CB is looking to boost sales of current miniatures with few extra releases as they do not have capacity to produce more different miniatures. That lack of capacity is the reason for shelving sectorials and rotating. There is also a trend and a need for cooperative game with less complex rules and less miniatures to introduce new players. GW ddoes it with a lot of success.

Has anyone heard of or played Warzone and Siege of Citadel boardgame? In short, a group of best special agents (commando) who are all named characters, heroes of all factions in infinity working together on a super secret operation against Combined Army. A coop boargame with characters that can be played in Infinity. I would expect something like that.... or a campaign system.

20. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Yeah, something like the Blackstone Fortress game from GW is a high possibility.

I'm still kinda hoping it's a really good campaign system, though.

Postmortem, Bohrdog, ilhan and 4 others like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation