1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aristeia Pitch

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by oberwald, Dec 11, 2018.

1. oberwald

oberwald Active Member

Hi!

I'm working on an Aristeia! Game Board and got stuck.
    I tried to be clever and deviated from the standard hexagon shape. Instead I went for what could be described as "petal".
    Now I realize there's two problems with that. First, the shape is concave and as such overlaps with every adjacent space. Making its actual area (to fit a models base) smaller. I compensated by making the pitch slightly larger.
    The second problem is somewhat bigger and I'd like your input on that.
    Do you think it will be too confusing to draw line of sight on such a board? (See attached image). I'd hate to put a lot of effort into making a board that's not fun to play on.
    (The blocked spaces are work in progress by the way).

Many thanx in advance!

P.S.: The Aristeia Sub-forum doesn't seem to have an appropriate place for scenery. That's why I posted here. Hope that's ok.

test_aristeia.jpg

Usashi, Xeurian, Berjiz and 3 others like this.
  2. Eightballz

Eightballz Well-Known Member

Looks amazing!
    Will you 3D print it? Can you really produce this?

If there is a LoS you can see it. At least with a laserline.

3. volgo

volgo Usuario

The main problem regarding LoS is defining vertices of the space.
    Are some vertices of you "petals" shaped space usable? It seems you have 9 vertices, but if you don't use the 3 opposed from the center of the petals, you end up with 6. Are they comparable to the vertices of the standard hexagone space?

Nice work, by the way! I hope it will be playable!

jherazob likes this.
  4. oberwald

oberwald Active Member

Thank you!

Yes and yes.

Yes. Basically where the concave and convex corners meet. See image.

I'm getting increasingly worried that it won't be fun to play on. To draw LOS is already somewhat tedious. Well, for me at least. I also miscalculated the overlapping issue it seems. To fit a a 30mm base in its entirety a single space would have to be massive.

Hexagon.jpg

volgo, jherazob and theradrussian like this.
  5. Engorn

Engorn Mariscal de Campo del Tridente Tohaa
    Warcor

The board seems so cool, but playing on it would be too messy. I mean, when you play you must know that there are 3 vertices that are not part of the hexagone, and there are already too many things to be aware of in the game just to add one more...

I'd consider to remove the surplus and add it on the gaps, making each hexagon more of the shape of an hexagone, but composed of smaller hexagones...

Is sad to say it, considering al the effort and how great it looks, but it must enhance the gameplay, not hinder it...

Also, a couple of things I believe you should know...

Corvus Belli is working on an new pattern for the blocked hexagons. It looks like in your design the blockers are integrated with the board. I believe you should consider to make them independent from the board so you can place them on a different way when CB releases the new board.

I see that some of the hexagons are dismantled or so... I suppose the idea is them to be the barriers. The idea seems awesome, but as with the blockers, remember they must be independent from the board. Depending on the scenario you are playing, they are placed on a different way.

volgo and jherazob like this.
  6. TheRedZealot

TheRedZealot Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Another option would be to break the hexagon down into 6 triangles.

Toalpaz and Section9 like this.
  7. andre61

andre61 Well-Known Member

I don't play the game but what you did ROCKS!

8. Darknes

Darknes Member

I adore what you have made with the board, and I can understand position potentially being a little confusing, but couldn't you just paint alternating hexagons different colors, say 3 or 6 different colors to alternate hexagons next to each other. It would add a lot of work to a board, but it would make it very simple to draw line of sight, and placement of miniatures.

jherazob likes this.
  9. oberwald

oberwald Active Member

Thank you for all the nice compliments guys. Really appreciated!

I agree.

Well - you totally should. Aristeia easily became my new favorite Fantasy-Sports-Game.

I went a different route. Very nice ideas nevertheless. Thank you.

Plus, I luckily found another way trying to be clever.
    Here's the final design. The blocked spaces are still a work in progress though.

Pitch_01.jpg

Well, triangles were actually not too far off.

Xeurian, Berjiz, daszul and 6 others like this.
  10. Engorn

Engorn Mariscal de Campo del Tridente Tohaa
    Warcor

Now I like it much more.

11. TheRedZealot

Warcor

Better than just a bunch of triangles I think :)

If you find the CADs work well for printing are you up to share them? would love to try to make one myself :)

jherazob and Toalpaz like this.
  12. volgo

volgo Usuario

Very nice! I like it a lot!

13. oberwald

oberwald Active Member

Sure. There are few caveats though:
    • The features of the support structure are super thin. I'm using an SLA printer. With an XY-accuracy of 50 microns. And that seems to be just barely good enough.
    • It turns out that the easiest way to fix a "problematic mesh" is to make it a voxel-volume. Resulting in an unwieldy, super dense mesh. (Of course you're welcome to use my "pre-voxelised" file as well. If you're up to fixing other peoples modeling mistakes).
    • What doesn't show in the image very well is the fact that the whole pitch is actually concave. Like some sort of thunder dome...
      That means you won't be able to just print that single space 271 times. Well, you can of course, but that curvature will be the boards most interesting feature I think. Once it's finished. In 2032.
    Let me know what file format you want and where I should upload it.

P.S.: I decided my current design for the blocked spaces doesn't work with the rest of the pitch so I made the decision to start from scratch but make the current design a gift for a friend.
    Blocked_01.jpg
    They might be too tall and definitely need to be fixed to the board in order to be playable.
    Also, there's two missing atm.

jherazob likes this.
  14. oberwald

oberwald Active Member

P.P.S: The blocked spaces aren't too detailed. So they should be able to be printed on a less accurate printer as well.

15. andre61

andre61 Well-Known Member

16. TheRedZealot

Warcor

Not going to lie. A little jealous. I've wanted an SLA printer but couldn't justify the cost for my first machine. Maybe this is a good excuse to make a terrible financial decision :thinking_face: :grinning:

I'll PM you shortly and we can sort out details if you like. :)

17. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

For more evilness, don't forget to put a hextop on top of the blocked spaces, so it at least looks like they can go anywhere and/or change during the game.

But since you have at least one hex top already designed that should be easy.

18. oberwald

oberwald Active Member

Thanx for the suggestion. Will take it into consideration.

19. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

I don't play Aristeia, so I don't know if there are different board layouts, but I'd just use one generic hextop (whichever hextop is dead flat) instead of the location-specific hex tops.

20. JAGS

JAGS Member

Well, I don’t know if I’m already too late to make suggestions. Is it already finish? How is it going? I’ll love to see it when finished.

By the way, with your first designe, it’ll be playable and it wouldn’t be a problem.

You don’t need figures to fit on all three hexagones, you just need figures to fit between the 6 vertices, which they already do if have the same distance as the original board. But you’ll need to paint vertices to make them more visible, Even when Aristeia! board have edges/aristas drawn, those are not use on the game, what you use are just the vertices.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation