1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dear Shang-Ji, you had your chance

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by Mahtamori, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

Oh I remember when it first came out and I loved him. I like the idea of them all getting deflector. Maybe 1 on some and 2 on others. I also thought Total Immunity but that might be over doing it.

2. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Well, with the Zuyong having TacAwareness profiles, there's not much reason to take a Shang Ji.

Yeah, that would work.

Space Ranger and Kallas like this.
  3. Space Ranger

I totally agree. I tried making lists with him but the price is not worth it when the Zuyong is almost as good.

[​IMG]5
    ZÚYŎNG (Fireteam: Haris, Tactical Awareness) Combi Rifle + 1 TinBot B (Deflector L2) / 2 Breaker Pistols, Knife. (0.5 | 34)
    ZÚYŎNG (Fireteam: Duo, Tactical Awareness) HMG / 2 Breaker Pistols, Knife. (1.5 | 38)
    ZÚYǑNG Combi Rifle / 2 Breaker Pistols, Knife. (0 | 27)
    TAI SHENG (Chain of Command) Mk12, Chain-colt, Stun Grenades / Heavy Pistol, Knife. (0 | 49)
    HǍIDÀO Engineer Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Breaker Pistol, Knife. (0 | 28)

2 SWC | 176 Points

──────────────────────────────────────────────────

Here is replacing the HMG. Why would you replace an HMG for a more expensive (points and SWC) Spitfire?

[​IMG]5
    SHÀNG JÍ (Tactical Awareness) Spitfire / Pistol, Shock CCW. (2 | 45)
    ZÚYŎNG (Fireteam: Haris, Tactical Awareness) Combi Rifle + 1 TinBot B (Deflector L2) / 2 Breaker Pistols, Knife. (0.5 | 34)
    TAI SHENG (Chain of Command) Mk12, Chain-colt, Stun Grenades / Heavy Pistol, Knife. (0 | 49)

2.5 SWC | 183 Points

Here is replacing the Combi Rifle+Tinbot

[​IMG]5
    ZÚYŎNG (Fireteam: Duo, Tactical Awareness) HMG / 2 Breaker Pistols, Knife. (1.5 | 38)
    SHÀNG JÍ (Fireteam: Haris, Tactical Awareness) Combi Rifle + Light Flamethrower + TinBot B (Deflector L2) / Pistol, Shock CCW. (0.5 | 43)

2 SWC | 185 Points

IF I'm going to put in a Shang Ji. I'm more likely to do this.

[​IMG]5
    SHÀNG JÍ (Number2) Combi Rifle + Light Flamethrower / Pistol, Shock CCW. (0 | 38)

2 SWC | 187 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Section9 and Kallas like this.
  4. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Zuyongs have Number 2 combi profile for 10pts less why would you ever take the Shang Ji for that?

5. SpectralOwl

I imagine for the flamethrower and BTS. Would be absolutely worth having against my regular opponent, who is very fond of surprise Proxy MK2 Assault Hackers or Viral Combis in Tohaa Triads. Still quite situational.

6. Triumph

The Number 2 is never going to be your pointman. That's the whole point of the number 2 profile, it never fights because if it's link lead and dies your link breaks. That's like making a Chain of Command Lieutenant profile and then sending it out to fight on the frontline... None of that makes any sense.

You want Number2 profiles to be as barebones and cheap as possible.

ambisinister, Kallas and DFW Ike like this.
  7. Kallas

Kallas Vincible

The BTS isn't that important if the Number 2 isn't the Link Leader or a Hacker of some kind. Main targets for link breaking at the Leader and defensive Hackers - the Number 2 Shang Ji and Zuyong are not either of those.

The LFT is a thing, but the cost to include it is pretty high considering. Especially since Tai Sheng packs a Chain Colt too...

ambisinister likes this.
  8. Space Ranger

You're right! Again, useless.

I can literally not find anything other than AHD, the Zuyong can't do.

9. SpectralOwl

It's the cost of a Chaiyi and some change to make the upgrade. It's not something I'd do personally, but there's arguments for using it against midfield camo or if your opponent really loves dumping E/M templates over your links. Tai is good for sure, adds a lot more variety, but if I could be sure the local meta was ALEPH all the way down the Shang Ji might get a look-in for burning TO Camo, tanking Nanopulsers and Assault Hacking and killing NWI midfielders, though I would personally use the Tinbot/Tac Aware Shang Ji instead of No. 2 for that job. Honestly I just don't use No.2 at all, seems like a waste if the link's already being overrun.

10. Kallas

Kallas Vincible

For link security there's always TeamPro EVO Pangguling!

For anti-Camo/Camo burning, I think a Lu Duan or Weibing works better, the latter especially if you're packing in a Chaiyi or two for some extra Sniffers. For ODD, like ALEPH, the Weibing can also Triangulated Fire, which isn't necessarily amazing but it's not bad either! Plus we do have the Haidao MSV2 MSR, which isn't too shabby.

Shang Ji is just too expensive for what it brings, which is a niche tool. LFTs are nice, but not at 40pts a pop!

11. Triumph

It's not for the reactive turn, Number 2 is so you don't have to keep using command tokens to fix the link when your dice shit themselves in the active turn and you lose the link lead to a crit.

SpectralOwl likes this.
  12. Joametz

Joametz Chinese Empire in Space enthusiast

You could try using a Shang Ji TA Spit in a Zhanshi Core, probably backed up by a MSR Haidao. You get a beatstick with BS 13, PH 14, ARM 4, BTS 6 and an ARO/long gunner with MSV2, BS 13, ARM 3 in a 5 man link for 115 points.

I think it's viable, really. You don't get the chance to add a NCO to the link but the Red Fury Mowang is a nice choice to dump your two Lt. orders.

HotFreshTofu likes this.
  13. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

HRL.

My 'standard IA list foundation' looks like this:
    Invincible Army

[​IMG]6
    DĀOYĪNG Lieutenant L2 Hacker (Hacking Device) Boarding Shotgun / Breaker Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 29)
    SHÀNG JÍ Heavy Rocket Launcher, Light Shotgun / Pistol, Shock CCW. (2 | 39)
    HǍIDÀO Hacker (Killer Hacking Device) Boarding Shotgun / Breaker Pistol, Knife. (0 | 26)

4.5 SWC | 215 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Yeah, it's about like sticking a Domaru Spitfire into a Keisotsu Core in JSA or an ORC HMG into a Fusilier core in Varuna.

14. Daemon of Razgriz

Daemon of Razgriz Ninja sniper

Five games into IA. Three have had Shang Ji haris in various forms. One had a number 2 Shang Ji in a Zuyong core. (Because I was at 10 orders and had exactly enough points to upgrade the Zuyong number 2 to the Shang.) And one didn't use Shang Ji at all. The only time I felt they were a waste was the third game against TAK. (Other four games were 2 TAK, VIRD and OSS.)

And I think that was more because after burning midfield Camo nests in the first two games. My opponent opted for a bare midfield of only Pavel and a scout. Because the Shang Ji were sweeping midfield. Tanking deployables and lighting up markers. Because of this. They didn't get a reason to really advance and light things up. (Took a Shang Spitfire, Shang Haris for the LFT. And a FTO pang.)

And I feel they make good datatrackers if the Mowang or Hulang aren't in the list.

15. SmaggTheSmug

SmaggTheSmug Well-Known Member

I feel like people really underestimate side DTWs, Light Flamethrowers in particular. They're what makes Wildcats so much better than Bolts and Tomcats so lovely. I would certainly include a Shang Ji just for the Light Flamethrower in a link if I could and now I wonder if I should include one in the Christmas gift for my lovely Yu Jing girl.

Daemon of Razgriz likes this.
  16. Triumph

Don't, on the basis of the old model sculpt isn't good and looks bad by current standards and it's expected they'll get a resculpt. Get your girlfriend the resculpt when it comes out.

Section9 and Kallas like this.
  17. Death

Death Well-Known Member

Your Shang Ji wasn't useless in that third game. Even if he does nothing, if he forces your opponent not to leverage a potential midfield advantage, thats already an awesome win. HI with flamers are awesome.

I think the Shang Ji is best in a Zhanshi link with a heavy rocket launcher. You get a durable HI with full link bonuses for a strong long range ARO and he can be healed by a doctor. Pretty good value for his points.

xagroth likes this.
  18. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

I'll just put this one out there, but the reason people are so down on Bolts is their insane cost compared to performance, and that's mostly down to paying a slight premium on Dropbears and an extreme premium on Light Shotgun for models already armed with an adequate CQC weapon.

I don't consider the flamethrower to be under-rated in Shang-Ji, it's above all else why I usually consider them while constructing lists, but the fact of the matter is the tripple-whammy of stat scaling otherwise makes those flamethrowers far too pricey. It's very much a matter of both units being 30+ which puts them in direct competition with each other, and since that your other stat increases that actually are the pricey ones are so situational, means that those flamethrowers effectively cost 5 or more points more to upgrade to.
    The comparison to Bolts (while also this forum's potentially most beaten horse) fails to take into account is that it's not the Zuyong that's got the flamethrower and the Wildcats is absolutely the Zuyong to the Shang-Ji's Bolts.

Henshini, xagroth, Kallas and 2 others like this.
  19. Kallas

Kallas Vincible

This.

The LFT is a nice tool, but the package cost of the Shang Ji all told is too high. A Zuyong with a 10pt LFT isn't a worthwhile investment.

Henshini likes this.
  20. HotFreshTofu

HotFreshTofu Well-Known Member

Why am I not seeing the shang ji as a point man in a cheap zhanshi link? Have I missed something?

Invincible Army
    GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]5
    SHÀNG JÍ (Tactical Awareness) Spitfire / Pistol, Shock CCW. (2 | 45)
    HǍIDÀO (Multispectral Visor L2) MULTI Sniper / Breaker Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 37)
    ZHANSHI Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 11)
    3.5 SWC | 115 Points
    Open in Infinity Army

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation