1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why so serious? Or can someone summarize the negativity

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by BarbeChenue, Nov 20, 2018.

1. atomicfryingpan

atomicfryingpan Well-Known Member

He was comparing the uprising fluff to GW's 40k fluff. He said he left 40k to get away from 16 year old bs like that. I don't know if he was being serious but I did find it laughable. Honestly play it out in its literal form. You mean to tell me a 40k player quit that game over assumed fluff reasons and grimdarkness of the setting. That same player then joins infinity and eventually infinity uprising is released and they read it and are reminded of the similarities between the infinity universe and 40k universe in grim darkness. I don't see it at all. That's comparing apple to oranges. To me it sounds like hyperbole.

2. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

Maybe go check up what a genocide is before posting memes. And congratulations on your continued use of the "but nothing really matters because it's all made up" argument because you don't have real arguments to offer ^^
    I suppose you would love a movie starring Pol Pot and their Khmer Rouge killing and relocating Cambodians or about a Nazi SS officer happily taking care of the Jew problem. Gee, wonder why nobody ever films that kind of movies, it's almost like people don't want to identify themselves with that kind of things? But nah, that can't be, because we have plenty of morally questionable protagonists killing people on media and there is ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE (I now know this because you told me so with your amazing and smart arguments about everything being ok because it's all made up)

Then there is the other point you don't address (not like you really address the first one neither, but hey...), and that's the fact YJ was not only portrayed as evil but as stupidly evil... so we are not only stuck with the villain (no longer the ruthless faction with questionable methods but the absolutely 100% evil monster now) role but also with the incompetent role (hey, we have the best information agency in the HS because we are the evil totalitarian state and all, but somehow the entire HS is plotting against us and we don't have a fuckin clue)

#362 Benkei, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Stiopa and Kallas like this.
  3. Ariwch

Ariwch Tournament benthotic lurker

I personally find it extremely amusing to see who are objecting to you on that :upside_down_face:

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  4. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

A bit hyperbole, maybe. But still the truth is I get fed up with the "Dark and dreary" fluff of 40k where there's no hope and only war. That kind of story was great when I was a kid. I've grown up since then. I should say I was in my 20's playing 40k. I've tried reading some of the fuff again and now it seems like it's written by a child. Infinity seemed to have a bright future where most of the people had good lives but rough around the edges. With clandestine fights in the shadows. Some bystanders got hurt, but it wasn't like people being lined up and killed because they failed the emperor to stand up to the enemy and were shot. I got sick of that kind of thing. Other than Uprising Infinity has pretty much been what I looked for. I didn't like it but I'm going to move on and hope it's just a blip.

Another thing I think I should say that was the nail in the coffin was that the game became a game of "he who has the most money wins". I just couldn't afford to buy the stuff they wanted me to buy to have a game, let alone compete in tournaments. They changed rules and made about 100 bucks worth of converted Noise Marine bikers useless. And by their rules I couldn't even proxy. They also did the same thing to all of my Alpha Legion cultists. "Oh sorry those figures you put hours of time into painting are now useless. You can use them in about 10 years." Those couldn't be proxied because they didn't look like anything else in the game!

Then CB who to me before could do no wrong says "sorry, you can't use those Aragoto bikers, Karakuri, and etc anymore. But we'll let you keep the Ninja." After them doing almost the same thing as GW, it hurt. Now I can't even sell the Aragoto because they came out with new ones! I'd like to proxy them as Desparado's for Ikari but somehow I need to find different arms because they have totally different weapons!

You might not see that Uprising was like 40k but I did. And it wasn't something I liked. You might might be into that sort of thing but I'm not. I'm not going to let me stop playing for now though. Even though it's going to be a very long time before I can afford to play IA. Fortunately I have Ikari for now and using most of my old YJ for them. Now I'm crossing my fingers they don't change Shasvastii so much that what I have for them isn't useless.

5. Ariwch

Ariwch Tournament benthotic lurker

No one knows the said player quit the game but him as he has not written it :)

I can suppose in the same way as you did, that he had quit not because of "grimdarkness" of WH40K, but because of retconning as a standard practice for example.

UPD: well, we'd got an update before I finished my comment :)

And btw Infinityverse is absolutely OK with grimdarkness if one prefers it that way:
    it's the universe where masses are fooled up by governments and hypercorps and the latter are marionetted by AIs (and while the strongest one tries to wipe the others, the minor AIs do exist and do act in the Human Sphere); the universe where one must pay for the air breathed and work for it since the one's teens; the universe where death cultists, sorry, assassins lurk among people, finally, the universe where there are evil xenoses ready to destroy humanity exist and not so brutal but still evil xenoses who think they are very clever and have their own plans for humanity also exist.

See? Or have I added anything that's not already in official books? :spock-hand:

#365 Ariwch, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  6. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

@Space Ranger Well to be honest, CB gave us the generous proxy rule and we don't have to follow WYSIWYG so I wouldn't bother and just use aragato in Ikari as they are. Yes it sucks and I feel your pain as well. Like because I'm stuck with part of my JSA army, I skipped the new YJ support box (I'm against a box with new/old miniatures in it and I already have those old Yaozao) so I'll be still using my Tokusetsu butai models as engineer/doctor in YJ/IA. That is when I start playing YJ again because so far I've been only using Tohaa since the uprising.

Also there are still people who like old miniatures and will gladly buy your aragatos. The price won't be high but at least you can get some money back.

7. atomicfryingpan

Yes infinity is obviously dark but it's not 40k levels of grimdark. 40k is dark just for darkness sakes. There's no exterminatus, no tyranid hive fleets consuming entire planets, no dark eldar, no sacrificing psykers to keep the emperor alive, no gray knights slaughtering sisters of battle to coat their weapons with there blood so they can better fight some demons.
    40k takes grimdark and dials out up to 11. Saying infinity/the uprising fluff is like that just seems very disingenuous but is a funny comparison. If the worst thing the infinityverse has is a faction overreact to some terrorists and secessionists then infinity is like Disneyland compared to 40k.

8. atomicfryingpan

@Space Ranger The old aragoto bikes will probably be able to sell. Some people love the old sculpts and they make for good conversion materials as well. Also there's nothing wrong with using them as desperadoes even if they have different weapons. CB has a ton of profiles that dont have a miniature so we find suitable proxys for them. As long as you're open with your partner about it you'll be good to go. Any jsa model you have you could still technically use in YJ. Keistosu can be zhanshi, domaru can be zuyongs, heck the bikes can be remotes.

9. Space Ranger

Oh a i realize that now. and I'm going to use them with or without an arm. But iirc the whole thing about proxies didn't come out until AFTER Uprising. It sure didn't make me feel good at the time. And when it came out about proxies it was a bit of cold comfort.

10. atomicfryingpan

I can't remember the exact timeline of the proxy thing either but it was near uprising for sure. That's also fair because no one wants to feel like their army has been squatted.

11. banthafodder

banthafodder Well-Known Member

I wonder why this didn't happen when the Caskuda went away.

12. atomicfryingpan

I believe with the caskuda they completely removed the profile with no alternative like the raiden-ryuken9. I believe they said the exrah minis were not only difficult to make but didn't sell very well either. As far as the official proxy rules from CB? No idea why they didn't do it right after. That said I would have 0 problem with any player saying his caskuda is x or y tag. All of the tournaments I've played in has allowed proxying despite what the ITS documents said.

13. Fire@Will

Fire@Will Well-Known Member

@Space Ranger, I was in that camp too - it was really the existence of Ikari which made me want to get the JSA stuff (as I'd have enough for a decent list with just the army box, and a bunch of terrain I needed). That was the saving grace for Uprising - two sectorials for the price of one.

Looking at the long-term business needs in the gaming industry, tho, companies need to keep selling things in a market where people can complete collections relatively easily. It's no good selling a bunch of stuff today, when there's bills to be paid next month too. A trickle of releases just isn't sustainable, and I reckon there's limited growth potential of a miniature wargames company that isn't constantly pumping out new things that overshadow or make obselete the old. Thankfully CB don't seem to make older profiles irrelevant by policy.

14. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Lolwut. That's what this thread's about.

Ten Thousand Arrows likes this.
  15. Space Ranger

While I didn't have the Caskuda, I did have all of the other Extrah. I seem to always pick armies this kind of thing happens! :sleepy:

Those I have used as Pretas for a long time, since I've alway hated them.

16. Fire@Will

None of those JSA profiles got removed from the game (although some sculpts now work under different names), nor did they get superseded so they aren't taken anymore. Granted, there's a sizable group who are have models they choose not to play with anymore (and I recognise that choice isn't necessarily voluntary).

17. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    (Although I think this and ms. Boobwindow (I forget her name) were the only ones that were fully obsoleted)

18. Fire@Will

True, although I take the HRL as a Brawler in Ikari, and he looks like a good bounty hunter...

19. Alphz

Alphz Kuang Shi Vet. Retired.

He could pass as a Spitfire domaru alongside the older domaru sculpts pretty easily though....

McNamara and chromedog like this.
  20. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Domaru don't have Hakama and a very, very, different looking helmet so it goes about as well as a Domaru as it does a Hospitaller.

The closest thing I can think of in terms of proxy is a JSA Spec Ops, otherwise it's really out of place either due to weapon or due to armour.

Coach likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation