1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3rd Offensive Book Feedback - constructive with love

Discussion in 'News' started by lord farfhocel, Dec 2, 2018.

1. FatherKnowsBest

FatherKnowsBest Red Knight of Curmudgeon

You're in my neck of the woods right? Are you ordering from Atomic Empire?

2. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

You only need an orbital elevator to get UP cheaply (if relatively slow). Getting down is virtually free.

[ edit ] This means that it's relatively easy to reinforce Paradiso, but it will be very hard to do large-scale evacuations now.

MedEvac is almost certainly done by orbit-capable dropships like the Dolly Dagger, so that's not really a problem, either.

True emergency broadcasts tend to be very short, and following a specific format.

"Emergency Report, Emergency Report! Fire, Fire! Fire in Engine Room Upper Level, Fire in Engine Room Upper Level! Fire in Panel Pee tack twelve tack fourteen, Fire in Panel P-12-14!" Always repeated twice. That's for the initial report. Then you get to the later reports once you're fighting the emergency.

In the Navy, we used "MAIDS" as the mnemonic. Man in charge, Assistance needed, Injured personnel, Damaged equipment, (and I forget what the S stood for) Status of the casualty* (thanks, @Mob of Blondes ). If the information hadn't changed since the last report, you didn't need to say it.

*Note that 'casualty' in this case means "Fire is spreading/contained/out" not injured/killed personnel.

But that was for damage control onboard ship. Ground messages are almost certainly different. Pretty sure we have some Army personnel here, too, I think @Golem2God was a tanker. They would be better to ask for that.

I do know that grunts should be using code words and call signs all the time. In the US, 'Somebody 6' means the command post. 'Somebody Six Actual' is the commander personally. 'Somebody 5' means the unit executive officer.

Thank you. Do you know what their forum handles are?

#82 Section9, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    xagroth and Pierzasty like this.
  3. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

Wha?! How do people get that idea? My mom was an Air Force Paramedic who rode in the large helicopters & everything else in the job description. She would have served in the Gulf War as well but being pregnant with me prevented that from happening. Thank God for that. As for me I've never been part of the military but I do read military history and the Civil War was my favorite era of American history.

4. Section9

Huh. Who was it that wrote a short story that I proofread on the old forum then? He was a tanker...

5. jimbo slice

jimbo slice Well-Known Member

It's pretty similar in the Army. Most emergency type calls follow a standard format. Requesting MEDEVAC, for example, has 9 lines that need to be sent, but the first three or four is all that is needed to spin the bird up. If you need to take priority on a net, you start with "Break, break, break!", then move on to whatever the emergency is. Usually "troops in contact", followed by location and what you need from HQ.

Call signs are based on unit nicknames. When I was a squad leader, my call sign was Assassin 2 1 (two one) because I was in Alpha company (Assassins), 2nd platoon, 1st squad. Our Lt was Assassin 2 6, and the company commander was Assassin 6. There are a lot of Alpha companies nicknamed Assassins though, so if you moved into a neighboring units AO you needed to modify your call sign.

xagroth and Abrilete like this.
  6. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Status of casualty.

No, sorry. And have the feeling they don't have any, other staff has nick mentioned in every interview or article. https://forum.corvusbelli.com/members/?type=staff doesn't even list the known suspects.

7. Section9

Thanks!

OK, so that would make a full MAIDS report something like this: "Emergency report, emergency report! The XO is the Man In Charge, we need an additional hose team in Engine Room Upper Level, Petty Officer dumbass slipped and fell and needs to be evacuated, Panels P-12-14 and S-2-2 are burned, fire is spreading."

Bummer, guess I will harass our usual forum visitors then.

xagroth and Pierzasty like this.
  8. Wolf

Wolf https://youtube.com/@StudioWatchwolf

My experience of 22nd Century para-military interventions is limited :wink: but I think the communication protocol for critical situations, whether direct or as text, will remain as it is now - extremely terse, with a minimum of situational detail.

The issue is that in critical situations, even highly trained operatives find it too hard to know about the greater situation and make appropriate (strategic) decisions, and also manage appropriate (tactical) decisions in the situation itself.

If you think about communications between say, a rally driver and their co-driver/navigator, or between an airline pilot and an air-traffic controller - both parties apply expertise in their own area of responsibility in the expectation that others are doing likewise - and communicate accordingly.

Since I'd argue those human limitations are unlikely to change in the future, I expect that operatives in critical situations will continue to eschew greater detail in favour of the barest minimum that supports their assigned tactical objective.

TL;DR critical situations require will always require less adjectives, not more.

A friend in the emergency services says that the more information their dispatcher and data terminal provides them, the more they're slowed as they exercise the age-old cop protocol of A B C's - “Assume nothing; Believe no-one; Check everything”. :smile:

He told a story of being dispatched Priority 1 ('immediately life threatening'; lights, sirens, suspension of legal speed limits, etc.) to a patient their data terminal described as '17 year old female in premature labour' - which sort of call he says is guaranteed to over-stimulate the most primitive male instincts to protect the species!

But after a spectacular display of two-wheeled cornering, disrupting traffic in the area generally, then forcibly gaining entry to the property and conducting several dramatic but futile searches, no such patient could be found.

Eventually, after a puzzled conversation with an elderly gentleman sitting outside and 'an interrogative exchange' with the dispatcher, it was agreed that this '70 year old male with unusual abdominal pain' was in fact the intended patient. :wink:

#88 Wolf, Dec 5, 2018
    xagroth, Elessar, Pierzasty and 4 others like this.
  9. Wolf

I believe Alberto Abal is in charge of illustrative/graphic design, but I don't think he uses the forum.

Is there no anonymous email address or forum handle for general feedback like this?

10. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

I got no idea but I'm sure it wasn't me.

11. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

Likely BrandonKF.

Errhile likes this.
  12. Koni

Koni BanHammer
    CB Staff

@Section9

No, they don't have forum account, but I'm looking this thread and I'll collect and send your feedback to the responsibles :)

13. sololobo

sololobo Well-Known Member

Exactly! I traveled to Iraq and Kuwait and those women love the western or just in general freedom that women have express their body. And high five to you bro, Arab women are crazy hot. ;D

14. ev0k

ev0k Well-Known Member

[Troll]You evil racist >.<[/Troll]

Pierzasty and Wolf like this.
  15. Cothel

Cothel Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's Atomic Empire. I normally have good luck dealing with them. The only problems I have ever had with getting stuff with them is this miniature and the one that came with the last book (which did show up after a week). I'll be heading over there at lunch to check the progress.

I was actually excited about this pre-order miniature since it's something new and interesting that I can run in Tohaa, and I actually like the miniature.

Abrilete likes this.
  16. Soter

Soter Active Member

Thank you Sir :)

sololobo likes this.
  17. Wolf

That's nothing. Not only is Galicia in Spain home to our favourite tabletop games, but also widely known for the attractive women of the region who like dressing up as characters from the games!

Here's one flirting with Palanka at last year's Interplanetario.
    Businesswoman; mother; wife... of one of the Directors, as it happens.
    So we were all very polite about how hot she looked.
    Very polite indeed. :smile:

IMG_1725.jpg

#97 Wolf, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  18. MikeTheScrivener

MikeTheScrivener O-12 Peace Kepper

is this a women appreciation thread now?

19. Wolf

:grin: Fair point! I wasn't aiming to disagree with @lord farfhocel's OP myself; I think his view pretty reasonable and nicely expressed. I'm just offering the example of at least one wife, mother and businesswoman who's obviously very comfortable with the CB's use of light eroticism in their games.

(Actually, it was at that seminar that Palanka (David Rosillo) said the Gata character (being 'cosplayed') was one of the guiding factors in Aristeia's development. Once they'd decided Gata was going to be included, her young, sexy and mischievous character made them redesign the game to less brutal and bloodthirsty).

#99 Wolf, Dec 5, 2018
    Abrilete likes this.
  20. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

I think that’s under valuing the space elevators. It’s the disposable rocket vs. the space shuttle issue:
    If you’re not using a reusable device or elevator, it’s easy to reinforce once if you don’t fly the ship back.
    Otherwise, those reinforcements cost you the shuttles or whatever vehicle they use to land, or the cost to get that back.

They don’t make a big deal about that cost when discussing elevators, but it’s there. Without the elevator, whatever you fly down has to come back up the expensive way or whatever you fly down stays there.

Sure, if they were using disposable drop pods or something, that’d be relatively cheap, but has that sort of thing been established in the setting yet?

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation