1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VIRD: first games, early lists

Discussion in 'PanOceania' started by barakiel, Oct 23, 2018.

1. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

I would use that last point and drop a Helot to get a 6th man for the Fireteam.

But that looks solid enough to give it a spin on the table.

2. Leviathan

Leviathan Hungry Caliban

Starting small to minimise the initial painting burden (cuz im starting from scratch over here), I figure some limited insertion along the lines of...

VIRD LI 2
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────
    [​IMG]10 [​IMG]1
    ORC (Varuna Div.) (Multiterrain: Aquatic/Jungle, Stealth) Feuerbach / Pistol, Knife. (2 | 43)
    PATSY GARNETT Submachine Gun, Nimbus Plus Grenades, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 37)
    KAMAU (Lieutenant) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 20)
    KAMAU (Multispectral Visor L2) MULTI Sniper Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 32)
    KAMAU Paramedic (MediKit) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 22)
    KNIGHT OF MONTESA MULTI Rifle, Chain-colt / Pistol, DA CC Weapon. (0 | 42)
    ZULU-COBRA Spitfire / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 28)
    ZULU-COBRA (Forward Observer) Breaker Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 26)
    ECHO-BRAVO Boarding Shotgun, Light Rocket Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 25)
    ECHO-BRAVO Boarding Shotgun, Light Rocket Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 25)

6 SWC | 300 Points
    Open in Infinity Army

3. Redfaint

Redfaint Well-Known Member

4. Sangarn

Sangarn TRIUMcorp CEO
    Warcor

all your zulu Lt are a bad choice imo everybody and their mother wants a jammer dead. Just dead.
    You don't want your Lt dead

5. atomicfryingpan

atomicfryingpan Well-Known Member

So much this! If you ever reveal the cobra jammer the other player is gonna go hard for em. Played last night and it happened to me. Poor jammer...

6. MikeTheScrivener

MikeTheScrivener O-12 Peace Kepper

Played a game earlier today in prep for tomorrow.
    Mission was "Show of Force". limited insertion.

Varuna Immediate Reaction Division

[​IMG]10
    KAMAU HMG / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 28)
    FUSILIER Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 10)
    FUSILIER Paramedic (MediKit) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 12)
    ECHO-BRAVO Red Fury / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 25)
    ZULU-COBRA Lieutenant (Sensor) Combi Rifle, Jammer / Assault Pistol, Knife. (0 | 29)
    ZULU-COBRA Hacker (Killer Hacking Device) Breaker Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 28)
    CUTTER MULTI HMG / . (2.5 | 115)
    [​IMG] CRABBOT Flash Pulse / Knife. ()

6 SWC | 299 Points

Open in Infinity Army

This was my list. The plan was to ARO with the Kamau MSR turn one, reform the link with the HMG when he goes down. Pretty much just hide everything else.

My opponent won initiative and elected to go first. He deployed his Rodok core on two close by buildings. The missile was left standing and had decent view of the center objective and the approach. The Rodok HMG was deployed prone on a different building that had a bridge connected to some rooftops closer to the center of the board. an oznat stalker unit, an engineer, and an ikadron all deploy towards the back in some cover. A TR HMG went down covering the deployment zone and the short approach before it laterally. the Raicho was on the reserve and placed behind a building. I castled my link team in the corner of my deployment zone with the Sniper having a nice clear view of the center objective, but not much else. fusiliers were deployed in/behind surrounding buildings. My Kamau HMG hung around close in order to give him a mov-mov and relink or have the possibility of going off and doing his own thing. My LT. camo token deployed on a rooftop near my link team. the other deployed on the other side of my deployment zone, alone. The cutter was my reserve and deployed in the center of my zone, so he can watch if any pesky morats try and rush my deployment zone.

His first turn: His Oznat mov-movs unopposed. He then begins to spend orders on the Rodok link team. a couple of movs/jumps later he is ready to take on my Kamau Sniper with the HMG. I roll a 15 and a 4. sweet. he crits me. great. He spends another order shooting the unconscious body to death and brings them back a bit so the Missile Launcher can resume ARO overwatch. Thinking the far camo token is my LT, he begins to move the Oznat stalker unit up. An order before he is in sensor range I reveal my Cutter and shoot. He elects to throw smoke. The Oznat gets hit with an explosive round and dies. 3 orders left to go and a TAG to kill. His Raicho is able to get 2 rounds of shooting against the Cutter. I roll an 11. he takes a wound. again, I roll a 14. he takes a wound.

My turn: I bring my Echo Bravo in, out of LoF of everything but close to the Raicho. I'm able to position myself so I can see the Engineer and the Ikadron but omit cover. luckily only the engineer is facing my direction. I tear apart the engineer with my red fury. the ikadron turns and tries to flash pulse but he also gets torn apart. The Raicho is low, but I don't want to engage him in the 0-8 as i'll probably be promptly shot to death by a heavy shotgun. I have a plan, albeit a stupid one. The Zulu Cobra KHD spends some orders and mov-movs up. He's able to get a back shot into the Raicho but it's in cover. But because he has a breaker combi I figure he's only BTS 6 in cover and those odds are going to be better than the Echo Bravo and its a back shot so whatever. The only way I can get it is to not give myself cover, but whatever, I let her rip and 2 shots meet their mark. saved. He turns. Ah fuck it. The echo Bravo runs out, leaves cover, to stay in the 8-16. his ARO is an explosive shot from the HMG. hits on a 12. uh-oh. Oh wait, I crit. phew. No more raicho and no more engineer. I spend my remaining orders re-camoing the cutter and moving the Cobra and Bravo to safety.

His turn 2: He's not in a good position and he knows this. The HMG Rodok Breaks off of the link team and guns for the Echo bravo and the Cobra. 2 orders of shooting and the Bravo dies. Another order at the Cobra but he passes his dodge and saves himself. The rest of the link team just tries to reposition and anticipate my TAG trying to walk on the objective. The Rodok HMG drops suppressive.

My turn 2: I use the Kamau HMG to relink with the 4 Fusiliers and mov-mov up the board. I take cover and engage the missile launcher in the 16-24 band. He crits on a 6 and the Kamau goes down hard. Great. Now the cutter has to engage the one thing he really rather wouldn't. He begins to move up the board. I once again take cover and engage, this time in the 24-32 band. fortunately the odds are a bit more in my favor and I'm able to take out the missile launcher. I move up a bit more and drop suppressive myself.

His turn 3: He swings the HMG around as a last ditch effort to try and kill the Cutter. who knows, maybe he'll crit. He shoots at me over 24 so I opt to launch an explosive round his way. it hits and the Rodok dies. easy.

My turn 3: My Tag moves onto the objective unopposed and we call it.

After game thoughts: The cutter is a really really hard model to take on. Jeez, what can reliably kill this guy other than close combat? With the support of the link team It makes it so tough to actually get any units in/near my deployment zone and if they do try and engage something they can see, the cutter is a really great ARO to stack against them. I'm also really digging the Echo Bravo. I've always been jealous of decent AD troopers and we finally have one. The breaker combi is a really nice tool to have as a weird piece that can potentially do damage. For including a 2.5 SWC TAG, my list had plenty of guns and B4. It also finally feels so right almost always having a negative modifier and superior BS. so many rolls he asked me what I got and I responded with "You have to crit".

volgo and atomicfryingpan like this.
  7. Death

Death Well-Known Member

@MikeTheScrivener you can definitely squeeze in an Engineer into that list, otherwise its a very good list.

8. MikeTheScrivener

I agree. I struggle with fitting our engineer into lists. he's a triangular piece in an otherwise square puzzle.
    I also feel confident in my ability to either: keep the TAG alive long enough to where if I lose it, it will be on turn 3 and it won't matter, it dies and vacuums up so much resources my list is still able to punch back, or it won't die.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  9. Death

Death Well-Known Member

I salute you for your bravery. I prefer to prepare for failure. Besides, VIRD Engineers have Mimetism for only 2 points which makes them almost as good as Kamau at shooting. And you can do all the Engineer objectives with a slightly tougher Engineer. Oh and their AVA 2. Huzza!

10. atomicfryingpan

atomicfryingpan Well-Known Member

@MikeTheScrivener Great report and a pleasure to read. The echo bravos have been really good for me as well. I do wish they could combat jump though. Not because I think combat jumping is great because usually it's not and I 95% of the time walk things in on the side but every now and then I get that itch to thematically drop right into the battle. Then I fail the role, disperse, die, and remind myself to stop doing that :D

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  11. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

Decap
    Firefight
    Anyone that wants a sensor lt option (for the free sensor) with late game assault presence and Built in DZ defence

12. MikeTheScrivener

So my tournament this past weekend has come and gone. We did three rounds: Deadly Dance, Hunting Party, and Show of Force. The lists I used were one I posted previously here with a cutter and two Zulus, and another with 3 ORCs and some support.
    I won all three rounds with a minor victory, major victory, major victory. I played against Nomads, JSA, and Ariadna. I can write up a more in depth battle report for each game if anyone is interested, but here are just some overall thoughts:
    - The Kamau sniper only died in one game, to a crit (on the first order none the less). He's incredibly hard to engage and all my opponents were obsessed with trying to kill him, which was a bad idea.
    - The cutter is insanely resilient and intimidating. he never even took so much as a single wound throughout all three of my games. he was possessed once and killed some of my own models but other than that he wasn't touched by the opponent.
    - Sensor Zulu is really great against Ariadna
    - The Echo Bravo was a star in all three games. The Red Fury was so easily able to tear through 1 wound Ariadna units. He even junked an Iguana from the back on two critical and two hits (the operator taking a wound and dying on the next order or two). my hunting party list had the paramedic who pushed a button, shot a parrot, and tried to deny part of the board.
    - Although I took the "back-up" Kamau HMG I never spent a single order on him, the Cutter, Zulus or Echo Bravo were just so much more efficient!

oh, in addition to taking home a Varuna starter from the prize table, this now hangs in my game room:
    IMG_2793.jpg

Superfluid, Solar, volgo and 9 others like this.
  13. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

I would certainly like to hear more detailed game writeups, if and when you have time.

Superfluid and MikeTheScrivener like this.
  14. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

15. Flipswitch

Flipswitch Sepsitorised by Intent

Well done buddy!

I've been defaulting onto the LRL/BS EB so far, they're a really awesome profile.

At the moment I'm torn between running multiple Kamau in a fireteam, or just 1-2 with a Clipper and some Fusi/ORCs.

So many choices.

16. Manfred_VR

Manfred_VR Well-Known Member

I played my 1st match with VIRD last week, against Yu Jing and some of its new toys, the mission was Unmasking and my list was :

Varuna Immediate Reaction Division

GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]9 [​IMG]1
    FUSILIER Lieutenant Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 10)
    ZULU-COBRA Hacker (Killer Hacking Device) Breaker Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 28)
    FUGAZI DRONBOT Flash Pulse, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)
    MULEBOT (Minesweeper, Repeater) Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)
    HELOT MILITIAMAN Submachine Gun, Light Rocket Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 9)
    ZULU-COBRA Spitfire / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 28)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]6 [​IMG]2
    TRAUMA-DOC Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 14)
    PALBOT Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)
    ZULU-COBRA (Sensor) Combi Rifle, Jammer / Assault Pistol, Knife. (0 | 29)
    PATHFINDER DRONBOT Combi Rifle, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 16)
    FUGAZI DRONBOT Flash Pulse, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)
    ECHO-BRAVO Paramedic (MediKit) Combi Rifle + Light Shotgun, WildParrot / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 27)
    HELOT MILITIAMAN Submachine Gun, Light Rocket Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 9)
    BULLETEER Heavy Shotgun / Electric Pulse. (0 | 17)
    WARCOR (Sixth Sense L1) Flash Pulse / Stun Pistol, Knife. (0 | 3)

5.5 SWC | 299 Points

Open in Infinity Army

I won the match quite easily, the link was very useful and Zulu are really a great addiction as well as the helots, they're amazing in ARO.

MikeTheScrivener likes this.
  17. MikeTheScrivener

Alright, now that I have some time, I'll write a little something for each of my matches at PAX Unplugged. The first game was the most interesting by far.

Mission 1 – Deadly Dance
    Known Unknown

[​IMG]10
    ZULU-COBRA Lieutenant (Sensor) Combi Rifle, Jammer / Assault Pistol, Knife. (0 | 29)

6 SWC | 299 Points

Open in Infinity Army

This was my list. no engineer, no non-KHD hacking device, plenty of guns though.
    I won the initiative roll and elected deployment, since one side had a nice sniper nest. he chose to go first.

He deploys 3 hackers, all on rooftops in his deployment zone. Mary Problems, Zoe, and an interventor LT. an Iguana is deployed off to my right side, about 16 inches up. A Feuerbach Tsyklon hangs around the center of the deployment zone along with a jaguar. two camo token go down ~22 inches up the board covering both zones. Pi-well is off to the far left side in the back, his reserve ends up being another camo token deployed in the middle of the board. I deploy my Fusilier link castled in the right corner near a decent sniper position in which the Kamau sits proudly on top of. Right off the bat, he can see the Tsyklon, he can also see the Iguana if he moves out from the building he's hiding behind. I deploy my Zulu LT in front of my link behind a box, in case any of those camo tokens get close and try and catch the sniper in the 16 inch band. My Kamau HMG hangs close, so I can relink if the sniper dies. My KHD Zulu deploys closer to the left side, I'm trying to make it look like he's stranded, because the Cutter goes down in hidden deploy behind a building corner about 8 inches away.

We roll for designated zones. He got the zone to my far right, the one his Iguana started in. I got the zone to my far left which has 2 of his camo tokens in it. On Varuna, we call this "swimming upstream"

His first turn: He spends his first order and activates his Iguana, it pokes out the side of the building it's behind to see my sniper. We shoot at each other, I roll a 14 and a 12. He rolls a crit on an 11. sweet. He then spends some orders moving a camo token on the left side up and onto a raised platform, he comes to the edge of a crate to view my KHD Zulu, who is currently a marker. He reveals his Intruder HMG and declares "Discover" on my Zulu. my camo marker forgoes his ARO and my cutter reveals in cover and shoots. He chooses "Shoot" as his second skill and opts to throw 2 at each. He fails his discover. The cutter hits him on an 11, canceling his 2 shots. The intruder dies. He then spends orders on his Tsyklon, moving up the board and stops pretty much at the 24 inch mark. He spec fires a repeater in between my camo token and my cutter and it goes down on the first try. Mary Problems activates and declares "Total Control" on my Cutter. The Cutter AROs "Reset" and my camo token AROs "Redrum". Mary Problems takes a DT hit for free and dies, my Cutter tries to reset, but fails. the poor TAG fails one of his BTS saves and is now controlled by my opponent! He spends his remaining orders using the Cutter to shoot my own guys. He kills the Fusilier Para, the Kamau HMG, and the Zulu KHD. He ends the Cutter on my back board edge pretty much.

My first turn: I have 5 orders on the board and I've taken a pretty bad beating. I have to play this carefully if I still want a shot at winning, I can't overextend the few things I have left. I spend my orders moving my Cutter up, shooting apart the Tsyklon left in the mid board and move into my scoring zone. I re-camo my Cutter on my last order and pass. As for scoring, we both score our respective zones with our TAGs for 2 points each.

His second turn: He begins to move a camo token up the board towards the remnants of my link team and my camo LT. He begins to walk past my camo LT and I just let him go. I don't know if this was the right move on my part or not, but I couldn't drop myself into LoL and possibly run the risk of him killing my fusiliers anyway just to have a shot at killing whatever this token was. He creeps all the way to the side of the building two of my three Fusiliers are hiding behind. he Reveals a Zero and just shoots them to death, one and then the other. He scores his card, "In Extremis Recovery", and gets my Data Tracker as well. He spends his remaining orders dropping the Iguana, the interventor, and pi-well into suppressive fire.

My second turn: I have 3 orders on the board. This game seems like it's snow balling away from me. I decide to try and have a big play. I bing my Echo-Bravo in behind his Iguana. I let the Red-Fury rip, two criticals and two hits. He saves one time. He takes some time deciding where the Iguana Operator will fly out onto. He wants to still be in the zone in order to score it, but can't place himself in an area where either I can easily shoot him in an order with the Cutter or the Echo Bravo again. He decides to try and corner himself, but to no avail. I spend my remaining 2 orders moving and shooting the Operator, who takes a wound and goes unconscious. Shit, that was lucky. End of turn scoring has me getting two points for my Cutter sitting in the designated zone and him nothing.

His third turn: Losing the Iguana and it's Operator was a pretty big hit in terms of how this game is scored. He spends his orders moving Pi-well up laterally and takes shots at my Echo-Bravo at extreme range. The Bravo eventually goes down after failing to dodge. He spends the rest of his orders moving the interventor LT, the Jaguar, and Pi-well into his designated zone.

My third turn: I have three orders again. but no biggie– by my count I'll win the game by one point if I were to end right now. I just spend my remaining orders moving my Zulu LT up to secure his HVT and end the game. I score two more points, he scores 1. I score an additional for having more designated zones at the end of the game, he scores 2 for killing my data tracker. we tie on cards.

Final Score: 8-6 in my favor.

Overall it was probably the most interesting game I've had of the day. I'l write up the other two when I have a chance, but there were several points in this game I thought I was done for, which I can't say about the other two. Having so many guns packed into this list is what saved me, being able to take a 2.5 SWC TAG in addition to two other B4 weapons and an MSR felt great. The amount of hackers he brought scared me, I knew I was going to be at a disadvantage in this area, my saving grace was having an advantage in every gunfight encounter which is what Varuna excels at. A little bit of luck goes a long way too. I know I didn't include it in my above report, but the amount of critical he scored on me was crazy, he even began to feel bad about it at one point.

Oni, volgo, Solar and 5 others like this.
  18. MikeTheScrivener

Round 2 was Hunting Party – I don't particularly like this mission, but whatever. Here was the list I used:

Party like you're being hunted down like the animal you are

[​IMG]10
    PATSY GARNETT Submachine Gun, Nimbus Plus Grenades, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 37)
    ORC (Varuna Div.) (Multiterrain: Aquatic/Jungle, Stealth) HMG / Pistol, Knife. (2 | 45)
    ORC (Varuna Div.) (Multiterrain: Aquatic/Jungle, Stealth) Feuerbach / Pistol, Knife. (2 | 43)
    BIPANDRA Combi Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 23)
    MACHINIST (Varuna Div.) (CH: Mimetism, Stealth, Aquatic Terrain) Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 17)
    ECHO-BRAVO Paramedic (MediKit) Combi Rifle + Light Shotgun, WildParrot / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 27)
    ZULU-COBRA (Sensor) Combi Rifle, Jammer / Assault Pistol, Knife. (0 | 29)

6 SWC | 298 Points

Open in Infinity Army

The Idea here was to pretty much use the link team for everything while having an extremely tough LT to hunt down. I can relink if the sniper dies and maintain strong ARO presence with the Feuerbach. I can use the Zulus as defense as well as camo hunting units.

My opponent was playing JSA, and was relatively new at the game. I won the initiative roll and chose deployment. He elected to go first.

He deploys a 3 man Domaru team, BSG, Chain Rifle LT. and a Spitfire, behind a building towards the right side. Yuriko and a bot deploy along to support them in case things get sticky. 2 Ryuken-9 go down, one dropping itself and it's mine ~20 inches up on a center building and another in the deployment zone, covering the link's back. A TR bot goes down to approach with the link. A Shock Marksmen Rifle Kemepetai deploys in a way so that in an order or two he can climb a ladder and have a nice position on a building overlooking the approach. He asks me to turn around and I oblige. For his reserve he asks me to turn around again, this time making a roll and scoring a success on an 8.
    My deployment is a lot like last game, my link team castles on a building in the left corner, far away from any danger. The Kamau sniper sits on top, this time a little hamstrung because any shot over 32 fails (of which I could have probably made a few). One of my Zulus goes down a little in front of my link team, in case any pesky TO markers throw smoke or just try and generally approach. The other, my LT., goes down on my right side on the roof of a two story building in my deployment zone. My reserve model, the engineer deployed on a rooftop with pal bots close to my link team and my LT.

His first turn: He was very intimidated by my list and didn't know how to approach this mission or my units. He spent pretty much all of his orders moving things up without much of a plan. The TR bot, the Domaru link, the kempetai, and Yuriko all move up, trying to take positions against where he thinks my link team will go. They're all standing at/near the center console. The Ryuken and the Kempetai have height advantage.

My first turn: I get straight to work with my 9 orders. The link abandons the sniper position and begins to truck up the board. I spend orders traveling towards the first console on my left side, patsy pushes the button on the first try. phew. My link now maneuvers to the side, to engage the enemy. I'm able to catch the TR bot without cover and blow it apart with my Kamau. 3 on 19s vs. 4 on 8s. I advance again, this time seeing the Kempetai and the Domaru BSG. the Domaru dodges, who I let have it for free and the kempetai shoots. I annihilate the kempetai without much worry. It's the ORCS turn, the Feuerbach moves up to see the LT. He dodges and I take an out of range shot with my Adhesive Launcher. Stuck! I spend my remaining orders re-arranging my link to ARO any incoming threats.

His second turn:He nominates Yuriko as his new LT. He reveals a TO camo token near the Ryuken-9. It doesn't do anything, he just wants the order for next turn. He spends an order on the Domaru spitfire to engage my ORC. we're both in our +3 range. 2 on 17s vs. 5 on 12s. I roll a 14. He takes one wound. He does it again and I land both shots sending the Domaru to unconscious (serious ARM saves were made). He now tries to engage the ORC with the Ryuken, after a volley or two, my ORC takes a wound and dips back behind cover. Yuriko moves up the board towards the console closest to his Domarus and Ryuken. Another TO marker reveals, close to my LT. it approaches the building and stops, realizing that my ORC HMG will be able to see him if he climbs.

My second turn: I spend some orders advancing with my link team laterally towards the rest of his units. I shoot the Ryuken that was left out with my Kamau, killing her. An ORC is once again able to get an out-of-good-range shot on Yuriko with an Adhesive Launcher and it works. I kill the remaining Domaru with the Feuerbach. The TO marker that revealed itself was prone on the center building, so that wasn't going to worry me anytime soon. The echo bravo comes on the board and dashes for the other console. He presses the button and corners himself to try and survive. I pass.

His third turn: He knows the game is over, but just wants to have a bit of fun. He activates the TO marker on the center building and crawls to the edge. He surprise shoots my Echo Bravo with the Tac-bow on his Ninja KHD and kills him. The TO marker near my LT. climbs the building, breaking his TO, Shinobu! He climbs a ladder to my camo marker and tries to discover. Fail. He spends his last orders climbing down with the ninja KHD and running to the console the Echo Bravo activated and fails his roll to activate on his last order. oops.

My third turn: I activate the link, approaching the ninja. I shoot and kill him with my Kamau using my pistol. I move a few more times to secure the HVT at the end of the game, as well as score my other card, which was to be in ZoC of the HVT and perform a WIP roll with a heavy infantry.

Final Score: 10-0 in my favor.
    This was a really tough game for my opponent. His list was not prepared for this mission. Once again, my link team was near unbreakable as I was favored in every gunfight pretty much. I can see the Echo Bravo playing a bigger role than he did in a mission that was not already snow balling in my direction. I think for Hunting Party Varuna has a pretty good chance, linkable ORCS and camo LTs are really really strong. I've also warmed up to the Feuerbach ORC.

volgo, Solar, Judge Dredd and 3 others like this.
  19. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

He cannot "just reveal" TO camo. He has to declare valid ARO which would then mean TO guy loses his marker state.

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  20. MikeTheScrivener

And my final game! Show of Force against vanilla Ariadna. I should now say for this tournament the Soldiers of Fortune rule was in effect, so Scarface and Cordelia were in his list. This board was also built like a bowl, which was unfortunate. Once again, my list was:

Known Unknown

[​IMG]10

6 SWC | 299 Points

Open in Infinity Army

My opponent won the initiative roll and chose deployment. I elected to go second. I did this for two reasons: one being that going second in this mission is a much better pick even if it means he gets to counter deploy me, I was confident in my list and the ARO game I had. And two being that because he's playing Ariadna I know he's going to have a lot of ambush camo and mines and giving him first turn it may be easier for me to pick out what is what.

I deployed first, my link castles in a two story building with the sniper on top. He has a nice view of the right side approach to the center objective and overall decent visibility. His Fusilier friends are prone in the first story as well as on the ground level below and behind, one of which is my data tracker. The Kamau HMG deployed nearby in case I need to relink. I place my camo LT close to the link, in front of them, and the KHD Zulu off to the left side, seemingly stranded. The Cutter is my reserve model and I eventually place it close to my KHD. Since it was my reserve, I deployed him in such a way that I can see Cordelia right off the bat. This is a very similar game plan to what I had in mind for my first game.
    My apologies for not being able to give a clear and concise picture of his deployment, but here goes nothing: He deployed a Vet kazak T2 rifle, who would be his data tracker, in a small forest near the left edge of his deployment zone. Cordelia went next to him. He placed a 112 behind a building on my right side. Scarface, who was his reserve model, went down near the left corner. everything else was a camo token. 5 markers in his deployment zone, 3 of which were on buildings, and 3 more near the center line of the board, for a total of 8.

His turn one: His first order he activates a camo token. It's standing next to the 112 on my right side behind a building. It creeps up to the edge and is able to see my Kamau sniper, I hold. He declares shoot and reveals an HMG Spetsnaz! a camo token on a building evaporates. One of the best gunfighters in the game, alright, lets do this. 2 on 16s vs 4 on 12s. I peg him once on an 11 and he falls unconscious. Now the 112 activates, mov-mov, mov-doctor. He passes his roll and the Spetsnaz gets back up. Spend an order and shoot again, this time I crit and I hit on a 9. The Spetsnaz dies. I think my opponent is a little miffed at this point. I'm happy because the Kamau sniper is finally doing what he's supposed to. My opponent begins to spend orders on a mid-field camo token and moves up. He waltzes past my camo LT. I once again opt not to reveal and try and deal with whatever he's going to do. I can always reveal later in case things start to go south and I REALLY need him dead. He pretty much walks all the way into my deployment zone, right up to the building I'm castled in. He reveals an S.A.S and spec-fires a grenade onto the second floor trying to hit two Fusiliers. 18, miss. He's pretty flustered at this point and doesn't really know what to do. He backs up the S.A.S to see my Kamau without cover and unleashes his assault pistol. I shoot back with a pistol of my own. 2 on 19s vs 4 on 11s. The S.A.S fails a single save and goes unconscious. He passes turn.

My turn one: Without spending any orders I can see a camo token on a rooftop looking at my Kamau, not taking any chances I declare "discover". He AROs with it, "shoot", its a tank hunter Autocannon. I shoot back. 3 on 16s vs. 1 on a 9. The Tankhunter dies. I spend an off board order and bring my Echo Bravo on my right side. I spend a single order and hug cover until I can see the 112. 4 on 16s vs. 1 on an 8. No more 112. I activate my Cutter and shoot Cordelia, she tries dodging but dies instead. I spend a few orders moving my LT up, theres a camo token in the center of the board near the center objective I don't like. I get close and sensor, on a 17 I reveal another S.A.S. I activate my Cutter and quickly dispatch the S.A.S without much fuss. I spend the rest of my orders re-camoing and hiding my units. I position myself in such a way that if he wants to get to my LT. he has to go through my Kamau sniper and my Cutter first.

His turn two: He's pretty short on orders at this point. He moves his vet kazak up to base to base with the center objective, same with scarface. They both drop suppressive. Another mid field camo token begins to approach my LT and TO'ed TAG. He tries to "discover" the TAG marker but fails. He reveals himself to be McMannus. He passes turn.

My turn two: A bit of maneuvering and I can see McMannus with my Kamau. He tries dodging but fails and dies. I now have to somehow remove 5 high ARM wounds in suppressive from the center objective. I have my work cut out for me. First things first, the Echo Bravo moves out into the open, over 24 with LoF to the Vet Kazak. He takes the bait and breaks suppressive to shoot normally and I shoot back. Nothing happens. Another order, this time I'm within 24 and we shoot. He misses and so do I. Now I have cover, we roll again and I inflict a wound. Another order and he dies, finally. I move my LT closer to scarface, behind the gate in front of the center objective. I break camo and declare jammer, he breaks suppressive and resets. I miss my roll. My Cutter moves in for the kill, I have about 5 orders to make this happen. All it took was about two or three volleys of AP for scarface to die, the Cutter can walk onto the objective unopposed.

His turn three: the game is over, he only has Vassily and he's in retreat.

Final score: 10-0 in my favor

Overall thoughts: Wow, talk about having superior numbers in every gunfight. The Kamau really really hurts when the enemy has no MSV options. I think he found it very difficult to anticipate where I was going to attack from, between the hidden deployed TAG and the Echo Bravo, almost every fire lane was a viable option for me to shoot him to bits from. Although I took an HMG in every game (be it Kamau or ORC), I never spent an order on it, the multi on the TAG or the echo bravo was just better. Having orders to re-camo is really important, Varuna has a TON of defense, use it!

I ended up winning the tournament overall, tying with another JSA player for TP, but I pulled way ahead in OP. My Miyamoto also won "Best Painted". It was a super fun little tournament at the convention and I'm excited to go back next year. I hope you guys enjoyed reading these, even if some of it is incoherent. Please feel free to ask any questions on why or how I did something, if any part of the games need clearing up or if any of it is confusing. I was really happy to represent PanO.

Oni, volgo, Superfluid and 6 others like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation