1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My frosty Snow Landscape on Dawn

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by Eightballz, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Eightballz

Eightballz Well-Known Member

Monday I started my new Project. I posted the Progress in the german o-12 Forum. But I Hope to get here some Input. So I post the Progress so far. Hope you like it.

Yesterday I started building my new scenery. The theme is a snowy train station on Dawn / Ariadna. The highlight should be two levels of play. For that, I need a lot of Styrodur to lift the one side half of the game (about 18 inches sideways) in total by 12 cm. Since I do not have a Styrodur tailor, I picked up a tip from the net and clamped the top and bottom of the wooden base plate. As a result, the saw was well managed and work was clean.

[​IMG]

First test. Should I really take 12 cm or at least 8 cm? 8 cm would have the advantage that the troopers can climb up with one action. Ordisadvantage. I decided to see that as a disadvantage. This gives the Movement Trooper with Climbing or Jumping Plus an advantage. And besides, it looks more beautiful.

[​IMG]

My other fear was that the height is too extreme for all line of sight. But buildings put that in perspective - I hope.

[​IMG]

Cut everything and put it down once to see how it works. I am happy. The right slope will get many trees, so that not too many line of sight can be drawn to the left on the lower level. Down there will be a train station with buildings and also forest. The whole is covered with snow. I love it!

[​IMG]

So that the plates do not slip, they have been made non-slip. I used carpet mat for that. So you can put the plates really well under Tension.

[​IMG]

Finally, because of my curiosity, I quickly mixed samples for the ground structure. I have medium sand and fine sand. Base is half glue - half color. A little bit of water and finally sand until it has a pasty Consistency.

[​IMG]

This is what the result looked like this morning. Left is only coarse sand, right only fine sand and in the middle half-half. The stuff is very firm. Still a bit flexible. So durability is great. I am also very satisfied with the structure. I will make the general soil with a mixture of medium coarse and fine and in between roads with the fine sand. Pull that smooth and turn gray. Should look like Asphalt.

[​IMG]

So far, I'm very happy with my first crafting day. Pretty much everything worked. I still have to adjust the Styrodur mountains. There are some dirty spots. This is being smelted away. But I'm having fun working this evening!

#1 Eightballz, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  2. Eightballz

The edges to the outside I do not care. The bigger problem is the uneven strength of the Styrodur plates. That's really a joke. The plates have different strengths in themselves. So run "wedge-shaped" together. Since I had to cut away at least some of the edges, so that get along evenly.

The rock edge on the plate I have cut into shape and filled the gaps between the plates with glue. That worked really well.

In the picture there are probably always two on each other. Of course it will not be that high in the result.

[​IMG]

The snow arrived today. I could not resist it and had to test during the lunch break. I mixed glue with water. Applied and scattered the snow over. The whole made again and then spray adhesive over it. Finally fine snow crystals scattered over it. On the pictures you can see the different varieties with pots.

[​IMG]

What like you the most?

[​IMG]

3. Eightballz

Yesterday it went straight on. We primed the styrodur and the side edges of the wood panels in gray. With the brush. My test object on which I sprayed gray looked bad shriveled. I'm just glad that I had a test object: D Then we applied the soil structure to the plateau. Half fine sand, half medium sand. In addition, half brown color and half glue and mixed with water to a cream. It was not dry this morning. I'll see what it looks like today at noon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, a look into the green. :D

[​IMG]

Rigel, Red Harvest, Section9 and 4 others like this.
  4. Eightballz

Let it snow!

Yesterday I got some snow. Dilute water with glue (about 1 part glue to 10 parts water). I sprayed the mixture generously with the spray bottle and then sprinkled with snow powder. Glue on it again, again snow, glue again and then glitter frost crystals. At the end, spray glue over it.

I dont want to have a continuous snow surface, I designed different snow cover on the elements. From continuous snow cover to snow with an open area.

The (later) open places I first brrushed green / brown. A few tufts of grass on it.
    [​IMG]

Then: glue, snow, glue, snow, glue, glitter!
    [​IMG]

A first look at the first finished plates. From front to back with increasing snow. The plate with the hole still moves to the first place.
    [​IMG]

Hier mal die Sicht auf die volle Schneedecke.
    [​IMG]

On the occasion, I then snowed a rock right away. The edges must still be brushed, but you can see quite well, where the journey goes.
    [​IMG]

And the final view of the snow-covered parts. I still have to whiten the edges, so that the difference between the plates are not so noticeable. It was very difficult to make the parts completely plane, since the Styrodur had different strengths in itselve. But I have an ideafor that. I'll glue narrow strips of white foam to the edges. That should make a better Transition.

[​IMG]

#4 Eightballz, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    Red Harvest, Section9, Gera and 6 others like this.
  5. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Looking good!

Eightballz likes this.
  6. Eightballz

At the weekend I was (with the support of my wife) very hardworking. First of all, I made the roads. Material was gray color mixture with fine sand and glue. I had previously considered how I can build a modular structure with curves and straights and I think that's quite well done. Then again I mixed sand with glue and brown paint and made the structure around the streets. There are now about 3.5 kg of sand on the field.

[​IMG]

A closeup of the modular panels. Road with pothole.

[​IMG]

Testing with some scenery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it started again with the snow. In places I primed white. Then diluted glue and snow on it. To repeat. Before, I had painted yellow stripes on the streets. Gives the streets significantly more contour.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think it looks really nice winterly.

[​IMG]

Then we built the Mag-Lift Train by TTCombat. As always, the price-performance ratio of TTCombat is very good. The 120 cm train (seen here in two parts) costs less than 30 EUR. The train has a nice shape and nice details. BUT this time the kit of TTCombat worked extremely badly. Many parts did not fit right away and we had to cut a lot. But the result is great.

[​IMG]

Finally, the train was primed gray and then sprayed red on the outside. Unfortunately, I did not have any more red paint than for the one drive unit. But the red color fits great on the table. I will also sprinkle the remaining train elements red.

[​IMG]

7. andre61

andre61 Well-Known Member

looks like a lot of hard work, very cool table set.

Eightballz likes this.
  8. Eightballz

I dont count the Hours. But it is never boring. My first table without gamemat. I try a lot and most of it works.

I hope the snow Surface will not dissolve. I think I will give it another Portion of glue spray and Maybe miniature finisher. But some of the snow will solved - doesnt matter what I do. :D

9. andre61

andre61 Well-Known Member

Not sure way the snow is dissolving, could be that you are moving the boards and snow is fall, but over all I like what you are doing.

Eightballz likes this.
  10. Eightballz

It's not that much. Some snow solves at the edges. Some if I lift scenery. But it is not that much and not that often. But my main fear is real, that the snow dissolves more than I like. :D

11. Pen-dragon

Pen-dragon Deva

Amazing looking table! Awesome work. It needs a little more scenery pieces for an infinity game, it looks a little empty to me. Some barrels and crates would probably work nicely, maybe some fences.

Keep up the good work!

12. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Disolves? Or falls/separates? You probably need to soak everything in scenic glue (and wet water can help the process too) until it becomes solid.

The road "curves" are a bit meh... otherwise nice table.

GingerGiant and jherazob like this.
  13. Eightballz

Thx! It is still WIP. I need much more trees. There am some ideas for Buildings and I want to create some possibilities to switch between the two Height Levels. And of course scatter - boxes, container etc.

Falling is not really a Problem. It is more the Separation of some larger (4-5 mm in square) snow parts, that dont stack to the ground enough. I m still using the trick with the glue. But I think I have to use it much more. :D

Yes, curves are always a compromise. The style I have chosen is to ensure the modular design.

Yesterday I made my first steps in building a building. It is a warehouse and office building for the station. In the front, a roll-up door is supposed to come up. Above, I will create smoe windows with laminating foil.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Pen-dragon

Pen-dragon Deva

You have put a lot of work into that building and it looks good. However, while pink foam is good for building up landscapes, and rocks, I don't think it is the best for buildings. Unless you are going for a rough hewn rock structure. When I make buildings I use a product known around here as foam core. It can be found in most art and craft stores. It is a rigid foam about 5mm thick, coated on both sides with a heavy paper. It can be cut with a sharp knife, and is fairly sturdy. It can give you nice smooth walls without too much work.

Eightballz and jherazob like this.
  15. Eightballz

Yes, there you put all my concerns to the point. Rough shape. I'm sure you did not mean it that way, but I'm afraid it just looks too crude in the end. It's not easy to cut out something really architecure-like. Of course it also looks rough with a knife. It does not look really bad, but somehow it does not knock me off.

I just can not find a building that I like. All these futuristic buildings show little contour and look just useful.

16. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

I don't understand. A "(" curve (a quarter of a circle) is as modular as a "[" (yours) or "L" (sharp). All that matters is that the tiles' edges match.
    [​IMG]
    A "(" curve.
    [​IMG]
    Couple of sharp "L". And straights that twist... but edges match, so perfectly modular.
    [​IMG]
    Creative layout (perspective causes a visual illusion), still modular. I also have seen others that mix different sized tiles, so if is 30*30 is smallest, others are 30*60 or 60*60 (roads/rivers/trenches always match the 30*30 connections, of course, but inside they can do complex shapes).

jherazob likes this.
  17. Eightballz

Yes, you are right. Very nice examples! Amazing whats possible.
    The Advantage of My „curves“ is: you can put buildings on the „straight curve“ :D

PS the Frozen curves Look really nice cause of the Materials

jherazob likes this.
  18. Pen-dragon

Pen-dragon Deva

I think your building does look good, but if you want smooth futuristic curves your going to need to work in other materials. For cylinders and pipes, your best bet is probably going to the hardware store and pick up some plumbing parts. For smaller pipes, you can use drink straws. Bendy straws if you need curved pipes.

If you want to do curved building walls, their are some techniques you can use.

1) Get some appropriate sized strips of cardboard. Old cereal boxes work great.
    2) Find an object with the curve you want. I have used a bucket before.
    3)Lay down a strip of cardboard to match the curve.
    4) Glue another piece of cardboard over the top along the curve.
    5) For good measure, glue a third piece of cardboard over that.

When the glue dries you will have a nice curved wall.

I have done it once, but I felt it was more work than it was worth.

jherazob likes this.
  19. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

Red Harvest and Section9 like this.
  20. Eightballz

At the moment I put the experiment back for now. That does not mean that I let it fall. But currently I want to progress first with the overall structure. For this I have to find one or two ways to overcome the difference in height. There - I think - I have found a nice solution at ttcombat again.

The Sector 3 Stairs and Platforms set offers good and flexible options. Unfortunately, I had to do a lot with glue. The cutting, that was just optical, was too deep. But the set looks good. The structures are rich in detail and diverse. I will prime it yellow and then comes rust and white brushing for icing and some snow.

[​IMG]

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation