1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mendoza and Deus Vult! Who can be targeted?

Discussion in 'Smoke & Mirrors' started by Tribulus, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Tribulus

Tribulus Member

Was a bit confused by this action. Could Mendoza use this action with an ally or obstacle as target, but no enemies adjacent to him and roll for !'s to trigger his general healing switch?

If so his healing prowess is has been quite understated.

2. treiral

treiral Midnight poster

Queen Koorie mod is my best friend, I always target Mendoza. The one time I didn't Mendoza shot my Miyamoto, burning him to a crisp, while healing completely his Wild Bill which I had left frozen behind a Wall after dealing 3:4: to him with Lunah.
    I mean, sure I fragged him in my first activation with Parvati and this was holy retribution, but holy shit he's a mean one.

Answering your question. Deus Vult is a green ability, so you can target anything with it as long as there is a valid target within range. If you could only target Enemies and obstacles it would be red (an attack).

3. Roadrunner7431

Roadrunner7431 Well-Known Member

I believe we have a general statement from @-V- that although Allies and Obstacles can be valid Targets that any Action must have a Target that could conceivable be affected by the result of the Action. Some months ago @-V- ruled that Senor Massacre could not use "Hey Malpario" to taunt an Obstacle or Ally to then use the leap of "Tangana" to place himself adjacent to the Taunted Target. I have seen in the TTS Ecos del Hexadome Parvati using "Medikit" on herself just to try to get her Initiative switch even when already at full health. I rationalized that because at :L: 0-5 she is a valid Target and the single green arrow:5: is an optional effect.

4. treiral

treiral Midnight poster

I believe that's because, while Senor Massacre can use "Hey Malpario" on the Obstacle, the Obstacle won't gain the :H:Taunted state because obstacles can't gain states. And since the Obstacle isn't :H:taunted, he can't use "Tangana" on it. The ally bit worries me since, to my knowledge, Senor Massacre can :H:taunt an ally and use "tangana" on them, even if allies can't attack him anyway.
    Another example of interactions with obstacles is 8-Ball using his attack "Eat my Fa Jing!" on it. Obstacles can't be damaged or destroyed, but they can still be targeted. A :G:frozen 8-Ball could use his switches to displace himself this way, or to displace the obstacle.

PS: I'm thinking now, Senor Massacre could :H:taunt an ally :H:taunted by Prysm to "save" them from wasting AP. They won't be able to attack anyway, but at least they are no longer :H:taunted by Prysm.

WarHound likes this.
  5. -V-

-V- A! Team member
    CB Staff

Where did I rule that Massacre can't perform "Hey, Malparío!" on an Ally? Please, because this was a mistake from me, and, of course, my bad. Massacre can perform "¡Hey, Malparío!" on any Target. He can also do it on a Barrier, but Barriers (not Obstacles) cannot receive States.
    Next FAQs will answer to the question about targeting when performing an Action.
    :wink:

6. Roadrunner7431

@-V- What happens when Massacre succeeds in taunting his Ally? Say he taunts his ally Major Lunah who has not taken her activation yet that round. The first entry under "Attacks" says that you cannot choose your Allies as Targets for an attack. Does Lunah just ignore the Taunt or is she prevented from attacking at all until the taunt state flips.

7. -V-

-V- A! Team member
    CB Staff

That's the point: Lunah cannot Attack her Ally, but he's the only Target for her so...
    "Damn Massacre and his stupid trash talking. Now I can't stop imagining him wearing those hot pants. Focus, Lunah. Focus!"

You'd better take advantage from Taunting her, 'cos she's not gonna be able to Attack next Activation. But, fortunately, she has her Supressive Fire... (and no, it's not mandatory for her to perform Supressive Fire on Massacre though she maybe wanted to do).

:wink:

tartopom, volgo, Egape and 1 other person like this.
  8. Roadrunner7431

The most recent FAQ concerning Deus Vult stated that since a range of :L:1-1 is specified for this green Action that there must be a Target. Valid Targets in this case would be Characters (Enemy or Allied) or Obstacles. However my community is buzzing about a situation which would allow Mendoza to Target an adjacent Obstacle and with the Action specific :1: switches impose :A: on a Character within range :SL:1-2. The player whose Character receives :A: feels that something is not quite right. It is one thing to allow Mendoza to Target an Obstacle to get :3: for healing but to burn my Characters! How can that be correct? I would say, yes it is correct. A ruling from @-V- would be helpful.

9. -V-

-V- A! Team member
    CB Staff

I'm afraid it is that way: Mendoza can perform Deus Vult! against an Obstacle and:
    • If he gets one :2:, then :5: applies, so he may burn all Enemies within Range.
    • For each :1: he may burn any Target within :SL:1-2.
    Anyway, I'm noting down this issue for future review.

Thanks.

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  10. Luisjoey

Luisjoey High Marshall of Wotan
    Warcor

I love the #DEUSVULT title of this theme! :D

11. Chikahiro

Chikahiro Well-Known Member

If I might give an example then ask for clarification:

Tonight I played a game with a friend, and it was his second time playing Aristeia. He moved Padre Mendoza against two adjacent Blocked Spaces. The two Blocked Spaces blocked line of sight between him and Mutair.

He used Deus Vult even though it had no viable targets. However, upon rolling, he succeeded in activating its Switch by spending a :1: to inflict Burning on Mutair who was 2 spaces away despite not having line of sight because the Switch has :SL:1-2.

Not having the FAQ or errata handy, we decided to go with it but promised ourselves to research it further. So far as we could tell it was valid. Was that correct? There is still a risk:reward:cost (I think the odds are about equal to Deus Vult's normal results) to everything, and because its not an attack Mutair wouldn't get to roll his :W: anyways.

I believe the purpose of the Switch was to increase Mendoza's threat range, but I don't know if we're using it as intended.

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  12. zlavin

zlavin Well-Known Member

No, it was not correct.

A Blocked Space is not a valid Target, you need an Enemy, Allie or Obstacle in range 1-1:L:

Q: Can I perform an Action (for example, Deus Vult! from Padre-Inquisidor Mendoza) without declaring a Target?

A: Actions that have a Range need a Target since Range implies the need for a Target to determine distance and Line of Sight. Some Actions such as Doumu Gift, Super Jump or Nebula specify what their objective is in its Effects entry on the card.

ijw and Chikahiro like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation