1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating a dystopian city landscape

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by totzro, Nov 21, 2018.

1. totzro

totzro Well-Known Member

Hi everyone!
    One of the things that really got me excited for playing infinity was the prospect of creating a table for it.
    I love making terrain for wargames in general. I think it's really cool that in Infinity you actually interact with the terrain, in most other games you play on a 2D field with terrain acting as roadblocks.

I've started my progress on getting a table ready for play. My inspiration for it is a dirty dystopian city, lot's of concrete and grime. The movie Dredd is a good idea of the direction I want to go for.

It took some time before I found a gaming mat that I really liked, I settled on the one from Antenoncities since I knew I wanted a cityscape with roads, but still enough areas to play around with buildings and scatter. I think this mat looks great.
    [​IMG]

I've started hunting down buildings for the table as well. I got these HAB block modules from a kickstarter, they got this brutalist look to them which I dig.
    They're stackable and the walkways connects with magnets and can be combined in a myriad of ways. Wish I got more of these.
    [​IMG]

Since I don't own an airbrush I have to go with a more old school technique for painting them. My plan is two tone priming, to get some basic shading and then go in with washes to do weathering.

[​IMG]

The result of the priming
    [​IMG]

I primed the walkways as well, then I masked the walking paths and primed them yellow. Quite simple and effective.
    [​IMG]
    (Oh yeah, here's a bus I painted as well)

I've started experimenting weathering with the washes. This is still wip but I think it will look pretty cool in the end.
    [​IMG]
    Love the design of this subway entrance from Micro Arts, btw!

Even though I want a dystopian concrete city, I think there's important to have some plants and trees to make it feel more alive.
    So I sculpted this big tree out of clay, found a plastic plant at Ikea that worked great as foliage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's how it all looks right now when we played last week.
    [​IMG]

Still a long way to go, I want loads more of buildings and scatter, but feels like a good start, and we have something to play with that's not just raw mdf.

I plan to make an order from Zen terrain in the future because I love the look of their buildings.

Rigel, Modock, timberfox and 15 others like this.
  2. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Looking good so far!

I'm really liking those subway entrances, BTW.

What really set the mood for Blade Runner and Ghost in the Shell was all the neon signs (and holo-ads). You can approximate holo-ads with lenticular pictures.

jherazob likes this.
  3. BaronVonZorcula

BaronVonZorcula Ikari Warrior

Nice looking table! I would say if you’re thinking Dredd is the goal; build UP. Everything is like big vertical slabs in MegaCity One.

jherazob likes this.
  4. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

The problem with this is that big buildings for terrain tables end up being obstacles to gameplay, so it shouldn't be that high

chromedog likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation