1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infinity dungeon crawler / black ops

Discussion in 'News' started by Marduck, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Marduck

Marduck Well-Known Member

The release of blackstone fortress reminded me of a project I had to create rules for a solo or coop set of rules for infinity.

The way I envision it would rather be a small commando operation, trying to infiltrate an ennemy base, synch a civilian and escape, or destroy something.

Guard would start off guard with random patrol patern and if you raise the alarm they get to chasse you (just like in commando the video game).

The active player would have only a few character from 1 to 4, lightly armed and two or three order per teooper. What do you think ?

Has anyone tried to create such a set of rules ?

Danger Rose, xagroth, Bostria and 6 others like this.
  2. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Well, when we made an Infinity RPG (as in, used the Infinity core rules in an RPG, this was back in like 2009), we had to give more wounds to the models.

Wolf likes this.
  3. Scribbler

Scribbler Well-Known Member

I've actually made an attempt at doing exactly this, but never developed it past the alpha stage. Currently, what I've tried is functional and provides a decent way to play infinity by myself, but its absolutely brutal and takes a very long time to play. It's super fun when everything works out, but its still got a lot of kinks that need to be worked out.

If you want to, I'm open to collaborating to make a single-player Infinity game system happen as I'm far too busy right now to do this project by myself. Let me know your thoughts!

Wolf likes this.
  4. Wolf

Wolf https://youtube.com/@StudioWatchwolf

I've spent a fair bit of time doing this, but on a full-sized game table it wasn't practicable. Has anyone managed this better?

5. Marduck

Marduck Well-Known Member

@Wolf : I was thinking of using a much smaller table. Like the 60*80 poster in icestorm and coldfront.

@Scribbler : I'm more than happy to look at what you made and share what I can write down. But just like you with family and work duty I'm a little busy. Can't comit myself to any project with deadlines and serioud planning.

@Section9 : I was thinking of using command token as an extra lifes pool for the players. Kind of a fate point system. Maybe you could get some more when archieving some objective during the mission ...

6. Wolf

Wolf https://youtube.com/@StudioWatchwolf

That makes sense; and play the units on the left versus those on the right?

7. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

What about infiltrating EI ship/structure/paradiso dungeon/supersecret Aleph's/Tunguska/PanO/YuJing lab ?

Tbh. I don't have much experience with dungeon crawlers (paper one, PC is different beast FTL and DD :D), but BlackStone Fortress seems as really neat and fun game to play (not very complicated/strategist just fun).

8. Daniel Darko

Daniel Darko Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I always wanted a cooperative mode for Infinity, because sometimes you end up with an odd number of players at gamesnight... and I like cooperative games. I also played the hell out of the computergame Invisible Inc. made by Klei entertainment. Both ideas inspired me to search for a boardgame, where you (and your pals) enter some kind of cyberpunk-office-setting and try to do missions like stealing data/prototypes or freeing scientists etc. I found it: It is based on the tabletop MERCS.

The boardgame is called MERCS Recon.

The game itself has not convinced me yet, but I played only 5 rounds up to now. There is room. The premise and the ideas, that went into it, could be an inspiration for you.

There are versions of Infinity, which have a zombiesetting and in this setting you try to do things cooperative. We had some evenings with it and used it, to give a number of players an entry into the rules. The mission-rules are totaly made up by us. Our table (showing only the roofs of different skyscrapers (landing-pads, constructionsite stuff, airconditioning and a lot of doors-to-the-roofs) helped a lot.

In short:
    Set up: Every player gets a fixed number of points (60?) and is only allowed to have 3 orders. Every player gets his own drop ship (allowing for a 4th mini like a G:Servant). Every Player has its own combat group. One Miniature must be the Lt. of the whole rescue-unit. (If the Lt. dropships fails entry, you start in Loss of Lt.

Phase 1:
    There are already 5 civilians, who are randomly scattered at the roof-doors. You have to save 10 of them, to get to Phase 2.

Where are the zombies? You put D6 in the Are-there-zombies-pool, one for each civilian on the board. Everytime you roll a D20 you roll a D6. If there is 4+ on at least one D6 you had to roll with your order, you put one D6 into the pool. (Shoot: burst 3 -> roll 3D6: 3,5,5 -> There is a 4+ so one D6 comes into the Are-there-zombies-pool). At the end of the zombie-turn roll the whole pool: Every 3+ is another zombie at a random door. every 6+ is a second zombie and a civilian popping up at random doors.

How do zombies act? They are impetious, NWI, civilian profile. When grouped (2'' or less between them) they move and attack as if they are in a combined order. They kill the civilians if possible but always move towards the nearest non-zombie-non-remote-non-marker miniature.

Civilians can leave the dangerzone through the dropships. You can synchronise them.

Phase 2: 3 Objectives (hidden by the one, setting up the table ;-) ) like some boxes or decorative console must be hacked/engineered/doctored, do get the antidote. Now the teams have to move around the board to get the necessary things done, to end the antidote-process. Maybe they now know of it, because the last civilian they rescued had been a scientist?

Phase 3: No more zombies - the Are-there-zombies-pool is not used anymore. The zombies in the buildings have died through the activation at the consoles. You only have to kill all zombies on the board and the mission is completed.

The one, who kills the last zombie, wins the game. (<- Joke)

Special: Every player has it's unit with the highest pointcost already on the board (random door). It is the delegate. He/She is only armed with a Pistol and a knife (due to securityprotocol) and gets the whole equipment, when meeting with another unit, which has been designated before the game starts.

Grathak likes this.
  9. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Actually just after Blackstone Fortress dropped it appeared to me that mayby the big black N on next year will be something akin to this.

It would be "new way of playing infinity' in terms of dungeon crawls, using your existing miniatures etc. itd.

Elessar, Xeurian and Abrilete like this.
  10. Scribbler

Scribbler Well-Known Member

I've always done a full-sized table for my playtests; maybe part of the reason why they always took so long was because there was so much ground that needed to be covered. Maybe making the DZ 16 inches for one or both sides would speed up the game a bit? I'll have to try it out when I get a chance.

Also, I have a personal preference for a full table because I find that it makes sneaking easier to do, and given just how quickly things can go south on you, you definitely want to be sneaking instead of shooting. I own both OP: Red Veil and Icestorm, and the game mats that come with those struck me as too small for a sneaking mission; I think they would work perfectly for a killy mission, however.

@Marduck, I will post my system here when I get a chance so you can review it, and additionally we can get more input from other players too. It just might take me a few days because of my schedule.

11. SmaggTheSmug

SmaggTheSmug Well-Known Member

I would definitely make it grid-based, like Space Hulk, rather than full on 3D movement. Or use the RPG way of abstracting table sections into "zones", with the AI using a deck of cards or a table + dice for actions and reactions. Write reactions for things like "shot at: 1. return fire 2. dodge 3. fall prone 4. move back 5. assault (if in range) 6. do nothing" or something similar (there are a bunch of solo tabletop games to steal from).

It would be more of a different ruleset using Infinity minis and lore rather than using default Infinity stats.

The table would probably have to look like this
    [​IMG]

I thought about something like this a while ago, like a smaller, 2-player game with about 4 figures per side that also works as a cheaper entry product for the big game. You know, like GW does it with their boxed games. Call it "Infinity: Blitz" or something similar.

Abrilete likes this.
  12. prophet of doom

prophet of doom Well-Known Member

I have developed a ruleset for commando raids using Infinity armies. It works using the basic Infinity rules, but the commando player does all the turns until the alarm is raised. I have never tried it, though.

13. holycannoli

holycannoli Dancing to Kazak Kalinka

I have been working on a modification of Guerilla Wargaming's infinity coop vs zombies ruleset. Mostly for fun, as it was a little Halloween thing that I decided would make a fun graphic design project. I guess I should get back into photoshop and indesign and get a nice and shiny pdf up here soon.

Section9 likes this.
  14. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Yes, please!

I picked up a copy of Blackstone Fortress (as my Christmas Present to the Gaming Group) and the rules are interesting. Might be able to futz around to Infinitize them. I mean, the weapons in Infinity all have 8" range increments, except for the direct templates. Declare each hex to be equal to an 8" range band...

xagroth likes this.
  15. holycannoli

holycannoli Dancing to Kazak Kalinka

xagroth likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation