1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LoF to rear arc issue

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by sam2064, Oct 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

No, we cannot. We must fume, full of sound and fury, over a tabletop game signifying nothing.

2. MikeTheScrivener

MikeTheScrivener O-12 Peace Kepper

yes, and the social media coordinator is to blame for this

DukeofEarl and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  3. FatherKnowsBest

FatherKnowsBest Red Knight of Curmudgeon

Hahahaha.

I love that post! Nicely done @Bostria!

Time for a sexy party

4. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

Given that he read an ongoing rules problem that nobody has decided to man up and fix and decided the best possible thing to do to improve the situation was to show how unprofessional and lazy they are by shitposting about it on their FB page, yeah, that would make them to blame.

5. CabalTrainee

CabalTrainee Well-Known Member

I'm alright with them shitposting this (it's fun). As long as they actually do address this...

Triumph likes this.
  6. FatherKnowsBest

FatherKnowsBest Red Knight of Curmudgeon

Not seeing how it's a rules problem just because a few people don't like how the game's meant to be played.

Unprofessional? Lazy?

It's just a game.

Don't like it? Don't play it. There's lots more to do in life.

7. Triumph

Basically, this.

daboarder likes this.
  8. Triumph

Your meta seriously believes the intended consequence of the FAQ is being able to shoot troopers standing in their front arc from above with no retaliation, really?

While I don't mind the corner guarding business and making changes to that, trying to enforce or argue whether or not someone has the free vertical attacks like that is just an impossible pain in the ass and will bog the game down massively.

#68 Triumph, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  9. CabalTrainee

So the super-jump thing is intended? Even @ijw seems not sure yet. They could easily just come out and say "yes that is how it works" and it would be fine. (or not not that is opinion based). Saying nothing is the problem.

10. MikeTheScrivener

I mean, the thing is if you and your friends don't like it you don't have to play it that way. but if you and your friends find it to be acceptable and within the rules as intended, then play it.

Wolf and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  11. Triumph

Yes, because that is the standard of quality we should hold CB to. "Don't bother writing a solid set of rules and iron out issues that are brought up, just force players and TO's to house rule a tonne of shit."

I argue CB do their damn job, take some actual pride in their work, and fix their product when problems arise rather than leaving this nonsense to fester (or worse, in this case, stirring the pot pointlessly). It's not like they're being asked to do a lot here, the main problem can be fixed with a couple of sentences of text.

Wolf likes this.
  12. CabalTrainee

The problem is that my local community is big enough to have multiple people with different views on alot of rules. Or what if i want to go to a different place to play? I know Infinity people in other towns. Checking how to play this before every game is a hassle.

BLOODGOD and Triumph like this.
  13. A Mão Esquerda

Or recognized that there will be folks who decide be unhappy regardless of whatever solution CB's in the midst of preparing, and decided to have some fun with it. If folks are going to continue in a lather regardless of your efforts, why not enjoy yourself?

DukeofEarl and FatherKnowsBest like this.
  14. A Mão Esquerda

And if their view of what "doing their job" and "taking pride in their work" differs from or has a different timetable than the one you want, what then?

15. MikeTheScrivener

see, in my view, it is within the rules. you're just not satisfied, or you don't like that answer.

I see this argument all the time. being some one who has played in multiple states and with a lot of opponents, never has this ever been an issue. Not everyone out there is the ravenous lunatic the forums make them seem to be. in fact, I would say 0.000001% of players are. Speaking with your opponent and behaving like a human is a hassle? are you kidding me?

16. MindwormGames

MindwormGames Well-Known Member

To be frank, I haven't read the whole thread here, but can't you put your model Prone?

That's a choice that would make it much harder to pull the super-jump-shot-in-the-back-arc move, wouldn't it? The Active trooper would have to jump a whole lot higher to get LoF.

17. Triumph

If the timetable for "doing their job" takes this long to write something along the lines of the following:

"If a trooper activates in the front 180 degree arc of an enemy trooper and LOF cannot be drawn from the same elevation as the enemy trooper, only from higher elevation, then the enemy trooper reacts as if they have LOF to the activating trooper. Zero visibility zones and equipment that interacts with zero visibility zones affect the situation as normal. If a zero visibility zone is blocking the LOF then it prevents LOF from being taken into account unless the trooper is attacked or has equipment that causes the trooper to ignore the zero visibility zone, in either case all relevant MODs are applied as normal."

Then they are either incompetent, have the worst time management I have ever encountered, or both, really because shit if I can do that in 5 minutes at 4am in the morning on a caffeine binge then what the hell are they spending goddamn months doing? Don't answer, that's rhetorical, they're not doing their damn job is what, which is fixing their broken rules.

Regardless, it's not a good look.

Is your local group honestly enforcing the "free shots from above" interaction of the FAQ, or are you just invoking the CB doesn't do anything wrong they are perfect defense clause?

Wolf likes this.
  18. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Well-Known Member

Mathematically is no difference, cause the area of the attacker will always be bigger an therefore he can reach that size while the defender can't.

BLOODGOD likes this.
  19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Well-Known Member

@MindwormGames Great point and I agree - troopers in the Prone state should be much harder to get at, due to the steeper angle required. And speaking of the Prone state ...

So how about this further addition to the proposed house rule - add a caveat that Prone troopers can’t do this? So the house rule might be: “Troopers who are not in the Prone state may trace LoF into their front arc from the entirety of the top of their silhouette cylinder, but this LoF can only be traced to targets that are above that cylinder.” Though that does still leave some exceptions, like in the 2D example that was posted on FB. (Which showed an S4 Traktor Mul being shot at around a corner by an S5 combat mode Su Jian. Using RAW, the FAQ, geometry and PBI, the Traktor Mul was unable to return fire. But if this house rule were in play, the Traktor Mul could shoot back.) But maybe that’s an acceptable exception? Just a consequence of the Su Jian being as tall as it is? Not tremendously elegant I’ll admit, but it would fix the 3D implications of the FAQ (for those who see them as abusive) while allowing most of the (2D) intent of CB’s FAQ to stand.

#79 Space Ghost, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  20. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Well-Known Member

As long as you don't go to a tournament. When you play casual, you can allways find a solution for everyone.

PS I like the FB picture. No discussion should be lead on this troll platform.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation