1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Off in my own world... Slumming it.

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by deathklockk, Jan 17, 2018.

1. deathklockk

deathklockk Strange, but not a stranger.

Hello fellow Ifininerdz!

This is my first project plot on this site and its (hopefully!) going to be a big one!

I have had the idea for a modular table comprising a desert planet landscape for a very long time. I'm making it into 2'x2' sections with multiple levels of craggy rock outcroppings and some buildings. Hopefully creating a complex landscape for Infinity that will still be natural formations instead of just urban buildings. It will consist of three distinct elements: rocky outcrops and valleys, shanty buildings, and cleaner but temporary buildings (representing an encroaching enemy population). The rocky areas will be what makes the table modular as the natural elements of each board edge should align with the others. They will be made with layers of foamboard and cork/spackle. The shanty town will consist of Death Ray Design's Rust Pointe buildings with extra bits added to make them extra slummy! The newer buildings will be the Forward Base portables from Anetocites.

I'm starting with the shanty town part of the table since they will be easier and allow me to start slow. I have assembled the base "box" for all twenty of the buildings I have and have added the detailed bits to six of them so far.

image.jpeg

image.jpg
    image.jpg

The strips of wood on the walls will be ledges for the windows which I left off for ease of painting.

image.jpg

I cut thin squares of plywood to fit inside the buildings and glued them under the roofs so they fit snugly onto the buildings.

image.jpg image.jpg

I also glued a few cover elements to the walls to make it easier to set up a table instead of having the small parts as separate components.

image.jpg image.jpg

I'm trying to create some cover on the roofs without looking like its on purpose. I don't want fortified positions but incidental cover. A few piles of wood scrap and the advantageously leaned piece of sheet metal is what I've got so far.

Oh, and this little vignette of white trash heaven

image.jpg

I was also thinking maybe some clothes lines for blocking LoF but not sure how to durably implement that.
    Any other ideas would be appreciated!

Next step: Star painting these shacks!

#1 deathklockk, Jan 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    descrii, timberfox, gorkij and 12 others like this.
  2. Monkeysloth

Monkeysloth Well-Known Member

I respect a shanty that has a TV, on tires, on a roof.

Lothlanathorian and gru6y like this.
  3. Nincoreween

Nincoreween Macross Frontier Commander

I like the bricks very well detailed, shows how the other half live, because everyone can't live in the fancy cities of the human sphere.

Golem2God likes this.
  4. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

You need to add some empty beer cans around that sofa. :relaxed:

5. deathklockk

Nincorween, that's exactly what I'm thinking. A kind of Borderlands environment.

Usashi, definitely a great idea. I may have to push some greenstuff around and see what I can make. Or maybe just use some styrene tubing and melt it into crushed shapes? Thanks for the thought-food!

Ugh...Too busy with work and worrying with my other hobby ( marine aquariums!) to have gotten anything done this week. But my airbrush, it calls to me. It bids me to make brown things colorful once more...

6. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

Theres a few ways to do them: with green stuff, with tubing, and others. There's also this one which looks more metallic because it actually is metal. Or you can make a few and make a mold of them for mass production. Lots of options.

7. deathklockk

Oh, now that was helpful! Now to grab some materials and mass produce those! Thanks, jherazob!

8. deathklockk

Ok so I had a lot of time today and decided to work out how I'm doing the buildings windows. They come with a frame and nothing else so instead of having to paint in each pane I decided to paint the frames separately and mount a piece of dark cardstock behind them for the panes. I also cut some mesh screen material to represent metal screens covering the windows. Because this is a very bad neighborhood we're building here folks!
    image.jpeg
    The entire lot of frames for my first five buildings, down in the paint dungeon.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I dirtied up the black panes with a tan colored pencil so they weren't so stark. Then I painted the mesh with metallic and rust colors. Then glued them to the frames. Glue sticks are a PITA! BTW

image.jpeg

A mock-up on a building

image.jpeg

Hoping this will look good once the rest is painted. I know I saved a lot of time doing it like this!

I also detailed the last building and the roof of another one.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

I got a used mattress from one of the sets of trash from TTCombat and heated up to bend around some boxes. This made a nice bit of cover.

Also today I assembled 8 of the sci fi crates I got from TTC. They are layered in detail so I plan on painting the interior box first the paint the outer trim before assembling to the main box. Hopefully soon I will get the time to fire up the airbrush and get a prime coat on my buildings and the crates! I'm off Wednesday so hopefully then if not before!

Let me know what you think, the more feedback the less likely this will die with a whimper and a shrug...lol

9. Monkeysloth

Monkeysloth Well-Known Member

I find it quicker to print with spray paint and then go in with the airbrush to add in base and highlighting. There's some very nice browns and reds you can use for a good dirty\rusty undercoat.

Edster likes this.
  10. itsuncertainwho

itsuncertainwho Well-Known Member

You forgot the bullet hole. The TV is worthless without it. Maybe add some rabbit ears with foil?

A large umbrella over the chair is needed as well.

unclesrouce and jherazob like this.
  11. descrii

descrii Well-Known Member

This is outstanding! It reminds me of District 9, of course. Maybe there should be a combined army lodger somewhere.

Where are you getting the resin bits? Are you sculpting some of it yourself?

I did some terrain where I used a two-part rusting paint I found in a craft store. It had a gray paint with lots of iron flecks in it and then a rusting agent you'd paint over it and it would actually rust. I thought it was a pretty good effect. Don't know if you'd be interested in that - I know rust can be pretty fun to paint the old fashioned way.

12. VisOne

VisOne Member

Those are from TT Combat a quick google search will find you the right items. They are in the city scenics range called Back Alley Accessories 1, 2 and 3 respectively.

descrii likes this.
  13. deathklockk

I really appreciate it, descrii!

I will have some random civilian models around ( I have some scruffy homeless guys in sleeping bags!) I may see if I can throw in a D9 bug, good call!

VisOne has you covered above.TTCombat have some really cool bits and buildings. I'm probably going to need more for all 20 of my buildings and some scatter.
    That sounds really cool! I know rust is a really great way to weather stuff but I'm just not sure it would be something that happens in the arid environment I'm looking for. I'll probably just over highlight things to make them sun faded and chip the hell out of stuff. And apply gobs of dust!

@itsuncertainwho, well now I have to drink some fruity drinks just to get the little umbrellas! Cheers!

14. descrii

descrii Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip, I'll bookmark them.

Things definitely do rust in the desert, but sun faded sounds cool, too.

[​IMG]

jherazob likes this.
  15. smog

smog Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Where did you get the sofa and TV? My slum needs more details like that

16. deathklockk

Al of the gray resin bits are from TTCombat. Very nice selection of stuff like this.

jherazob likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation