1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zavros's Guide to Infinity the Game

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by zavros, Oct 12, 2018.

1. zavros

zavros Well-Known Member

Hello,
    I have written a comprehensive guide to playing infinity.

The guide encompasses my experience from playing the game over 3 years. I have played 200+ games of infinity and played in over 40 tournaments including the Nova Open, Baltimore Brawl, and Adepticon.

My goal is to help players improve their game at any level. I broke the guide down into sections to make it easier to read and find what you want to read about. For some sections, I added pictures to show examples on strategies and tactics.

Zavros's Guide to Infinity the Game

This is still a work in progress, but is finished enough to be useful.
    Enabling the outline can help you jump around the guide without the table of contents.

Feel free to ask questions.

2. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

zavros likes this.
  3. zavros

zavros Well-Known Member

Interesting. I agree with what you said in both threads, as stealth only prevents the generation of an ARO, not from being targeted by an ARO.

I'll take that part out for now, despite there being a lot of people that play it that way.

Other than that was the hacking section fine? That section is somewhat lite compared to whats in other ones. At a lot of events I've been to the hacking meta-game is almost non-existent due to killer hackers pushing out most other hackers.

#3 zavros, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    RattlerNxt and inane.imp like this.
  4. LordAratan

LordAratan Maestro Artillero

Thank you very much for the effort of putting together all that comprehensive information in one document. It's a very useful reading for beginners. I hope it can help me improve my games :)

5. inane.imp

It looked fine.

Point of note on Sword programs vs NWI or Dogged hackers Trinity is usually better than Redrum.

It's probably worth mentioning when to use Blackout rather than Gotcha: Repeater REM gets the Repeater somewhere useful.

There's some other weird interactions around Shield programs or Reset.

For instance:

A SSL1 Hacker delays ARO vs a TAG, the TAG can't Reset because the requirements aren't met.

This is 100% legal inside ZOC but highly questionable (and absolutely not how it's played) inside Hacking Area. Generally it's held that you can't delay inside the Hacking Area with SSL1.

Shield programs are not attacks (except Exorcism). So:
    A. They aren't affected by Firewalls
    B. They can be performed while Stunned (and if they're not a Short Skill - IE U-turn - while IMM).
    C. They FTF all of the attacks of a Co-ordinated Hack.

6. armazingerz

armazingerz Well-Known Member

Quite interesting, I liked a lot the listbuilding section. I'll come back with more comments as I keep reading.

7. RecklessPrudence

RecklessPrudence Well-Known Member

I tried building a list the way you recommended, starting with the pillars and filling out from there - and quickly ran out of SWC, before I was finished with all the pillars! But I know my faction can be particularly SWC-hungry, so I made some adaptations when I build a list on the core skeleton, and I've already seen a marked difference in my list's effectiveness.

Thank-you for this, I'll certainly bookmark it and come back to it!

xagroth likes this.
  8. BLOODGOD

BLOODGOD Vampire Hunter

Note on the facing section: facing straight on to a wall doesn't work; you opponent can move up just far enough to see the back half of your base, from which you cannot draw LoF, and get a shot against your change facing. Your recommendation (facing straight towards the wall) used to be my strategy all the time until LoF was clarified to be in your front arc AND drawn from your front arc.

#8 BLOODGOD, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    Barrogh, FatherKnowsBest and zavros like this.
  9. zavros

zavros Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I have yet to have anyone try this on me. After drawing it out that's definitely true and could demonstrate with a laser where that point is.

At some point I'll draw out a nicer diagram and update that section.

BLOODGOD likes this.
  10. BLOODGOD

BLOODGOD Vampire Hunter

My post was a little ambiguous so I fixed the wording to make it clear what I meant. I used to face guys straight into walls all the time until it was clarified that that didn't work.

11. inane.imp

A lot of metas deliberately don't abuse this, so I'm not surprised, @zavros, you haven't seen this. But the general rule is "you can't see both corners of a reasonably sized wall".

meikyoushisui likes this.
  12. BLOODGOD

BLOODGOD Vampire Hunter

I'm confused where the "abuse" occurred. Until the LoF rule was clarified/changed regarding this, it made perfect sense to face straight into a wall and see both sides.

Krofna likes this.
  13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Well-Known Member

@zavros - Great guide! I've already recommended it to a new player in my meta. Thanks much for doing this!

@BLOODGOD - There's a pretty good discussion of this going on right now in the WGC Infinity FB group. Besides the horizontal/2D examples, a lot of folks have taken exception to how this FAQ ruling can be "abused" when verticality/3D is taken into account. For example, say my Fusilier was facing directly towards your Alguacile and vice versa, but my guy was on a rooftop far enough back to be out of your LOF (and vice versa.) Based on the FAQ, I could theoretically move just far enough forward on the roof directly towards you to see the back half of the top of your silhouette cylinder - thus letting me shoot you in the back (top of the head essentially,) from in front of you. So unless you have some Special Skills, no ARO except for a possible ZOC based Change of Facing. Of course this relies on RAW, the FAQ, geometry and playing by intent to reliable apply, but it's still technically quite possible. (There's diagrams over on FB if you want to take a look for yourself.) Now imagine you're up against an army that can Super-Jump to pull this off, and you can probably see why some folks aren't too happy about this!

14. inane.imp

Now do that with a Rodock or Hollowman ML.

15. BLOODGOD

BLOODGOD Vampire Hunter

I'm not a fan of the way this works myself, but I still wouldn't really call that abuse. It actually makes sense from a real-world perspective: it's highly likely that someone on top of a building could get into a position to see you before you saw them, especially since people so rarely look up. Tarik's a scary dude!

Robock and FatherKnowsBest like this.
  16. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

There is a mistake on page 16. As he is, an enemy could come from the corner and look at his front arc edge and shoot him unopposed because he is in his rear arc. The proper angle should be not "from building corner to model center" but "from building corner to edge of the model" in order to be sure that anyone that see your front edge is also partially in your front.

zavros likes this.
  17. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

The difference being, of course, that in the real-world if you expect someone coming for you from elevation you can actually look up.

Aspect Graviton likes this.
  18. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

I'm not sure it'll be against Change Facing, or anything at all, unless shooter is close enough to trigger ZoC ARO...

19. Aspect Graviton

Aspect Graviton Friendly Alien Overlord
    Warcor

*Hears Rodok Jetpack/Wolf howls/L33T SP3^K ahead in the distance before continuing to aggressively stare into wall cross-eyed*

Deltervees likes this.
  20. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

He looks up thinking rodok will surely come from rooftop and get shot sideways as the rodock rounds the corner instead.

You are already guarding the corner as you are aware of enemy troop approaching, and not just one corner but also the other corner almost 180˚ the other side too. Now you expect him to focus on guarding the roof too ?

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation