1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaki shenanigans

Discussion in 'Combined Army' started by gamma ray, Oct 16, 2018.

1. gamma ray

gamma ray Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Posted as @Marduck and @Urobros were interested...

A couple of months ago, weary of playing Onyx non stop since it came out and wanting to go completely the other way from competitive play, I decided to make something....special for @kurrelgyre 's tournament at Colours in England. 400 points, Frostbyte, Annihilation and Acquisition.

As you might guess from looking below, an optimised list was never my aim. A while back, a friend and I were talking Infinity over a few beers and the old idea of lots of Gakis, Pretas or Morlocks came up. This was as good a time as any to try it out.

I talked to the TO for permission to run a silly amount of Gakis and he agreed on certain conditions, timely play being a fairly obvious one. With that all cleared up, I cracked my knucles and armed myself with a PC and some tequila. What happened afterwards, was this:

[​IMG] TROLOLOLOLOL
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]2 [​IMG]8 [​IMG]8
    [​IMG] SKIÁVORO Lieutenant Sepsitor Plus, Plasma Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, CCW. (1 | 64)
    [​IMG] SPECULO KILLER Boarding Shotgun, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, Monofilament CCW, Knife. (1 | 34)
    [​IMG] GAKI AP CCW. (0 | 4)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]2 [​IMG]8 [​IMG]8
    [​IMG] MED-TECH OBSIDON MEDCHANOID Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 23)
    [​IMG] SLAVE DRONE Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)
    [​IMG] IKADRON (Baggage, Repeater) 2 Light Flamethrowers, Flash Pulse / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0 | 9)

GROUP 3[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]2 [​IMG]8 [​IMG]8
    [​IMG] Q-DRONE HMG / Electric Pulse. (1 | 26)
    [​IMG] CADMUS-SOLDIER Boarding Shotgun / Assault Pistol, CCW. (0 | 22)

GROUP 4[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]3 [​IMG]16 [​IMG]16
    [​IMG] Bit Hacker (UPGRADE: Expel) Submachine Gun + Pitcher, Deployable Repeater + KISS! / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 19)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] KISS! Adhesive Launcher / Electric Pulse. (- | 4)
    [​IMG] SHROUDED (Minelayer) Combi Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 25)

[​IMG] UNIDRON Plasma Carbine / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0 | 14)

4 SWC | 399 Points

Open in Infinity Army

A slightly intoxicated me thought that having each group of Gakis have access to at least one regular order to coordinate with wasn't a bad idea. I'm not entirely sure I agree looking back, but nevermind.

Round 1 against vanilla Haqq in the hands of a friend of mine. The table was as open as you'd ever see one for Infinity. I took second turn. By the start of my turn, I had 16 Gakis over the halfway line, and two in the enemy DZ

Round 2 was against one of the guys that had made a 5 hour journey from the darkest, cider soaked corner of the west country. He was playing French. Having played me at other tournaments a couple of times, he was surprised I didn't have Onyx with me, but was sure that I'd still have a Sphinx, or maybe an Avatar. I chose that he deployed first, he chose to take first turn. His reaction to my revelation that I had brought 40 Gakis was the best I could hope for: A mix of hysterical laughter, combined with holding his head in his hands rocking slightly.

To offset the inevitable rush of 6-6 Impetuous machetes with a circulatory system, he tried to thin them down , going as far as to deploy Duroc on the edge of my DZ in a successful attempt to draw all the impetuous moves to somewhere of his choosing. My turn one started with 19 Gakis around the halfway line, and 3 on the edge of his DZ. Highlights of the game from what I can recall, include a Cadmus successfully passing it's AD roll to land in the middle of the opponent's link team, later exploding, killing 3 of them.

Game 3 was less memorable unfortunately, only having 1 and a half rounds to play to due to mutual time issues. My Yu Jing opponent suffered from justified analysis paralysis.

If I were to do it again

In hindsight, the sober version, I would've put all the regular orders in one group. But this isn't what this list was about.

Saying the word Dodge so many times, every single time an order is spent by the opponent is draining, both physically and mentally. There were members of the public being drawn to the tables I was playing on because they wondered what the hell was going on. Between exasperated sighs and utterances of 'Dodge' or Engage', there were moments of pure hilarity that drew people to watch the games.

Weird tactics (If you can call them that) were quickly adopted. Choosing a Gaki that would run at an enemy, receiving only one shot, but ending it's movement close to an enemy trooper was first choice every time, a surprising number of points were killed this way.

A few people thought that Gakis even had smoke, whether this is due to them not seeing them played in the local meta, I don't know.

My advice

Play it, or something similar. Add a sensible amount of Gakis to your list, then just keep going. Throw in some troops that you usually wouldn't consider too. Just make sure you slept well the previous night, and that you call fall onto your bed when you get home.

This was probably the most fun I've had playing Infinity, ever.

WarHound, Fathoym, solkan and 11 others like this.
  2. m2cat

m2cat Active Member

Very nice idea.
    Maybe, mix in some Pretas?

3. gamma ray

Warcor

I'll probably try Preta spam at some point before the end of the year. I imagine it will be a very different beast, with Dogged and weapons available!

4. Flipswitch

Flipswitch Sepsitorised by Intent

legit doing a 400pt event here so I can play this.

WarHound likes this.
  5. gamma ray

Warcor

I recommend keeping it secret as much as you can. The 2 opponents who didn't know what I was bringing damn near has a breakdown after being given the courtesy list.

Also worthy of note, @WarHound took a list of maximum AVA doggos in TAK to this tournament too. He got similar reactions!

WarHound and xagroth like this.
  6. Flipswitch

Hahaha that is brilliant.

7. leigen_zero

leigen_zero Morat Pacifist

I see the main downside of playing this list is having to assemble that many gakis...

8. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Wait wut ?

You madman! I hope that at least you had brought a beer for your opponents !

9. Flipswitch

just steal someones tyranids

WarHound likes this.
  10. gamma ray

Warcor

Proxying at least half of them saved me time, money and sanity!
    Offered to all 3, only 1 wasn't driving!

m2cat likes this.
  11. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

You are responsible and kind human being !

(lets give you a bit of credit, normally I would vote for anyone who brings 4 combat lists to be court martialled!)

12. gamma ray

Warcor

5 combat groups, thank you... :P (Army doesn't support my level of idiocy)

13. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Apage!

gamma ray likes this.
  14. paraelix

paraelix Seed Embryo Scholar

I thought there was a 4 combat group limit... your list has 5...

15. gamma ray

Warcor

Army builder doesn't support more than 4 groups, there isn't actually a limit on the number of combat groups you can take.

Robock and m2cat like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation