1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US Adriana Which Path Do I Take?

Discussion in 'Infinity Army' started by MachSkinner, Oct 16, 2018.

1. MachSkinner

MachSkinner New Member

I've played about 5 smaller games, 1 of which was 150 pts. I'm hoping to get a little advice on which directions I can take with US Adriana.

These are the minis that I have at the moment:

3 Grunts
    1 Marauder
    1 Minuteman
    1 Maverick
    1 Foxtrot
    1 Devil Dog w/ Antipode

I definitely want to get more cammo guys into the mix and I see that I can have up to 3 devil Dogs in my Unit as well. So I guess that is two directions I can take and I assume they are compatible. I just don't have a lot of experience yet. Any Advice?

2. MachSkinner

MachSkinner New Member

Looks like my cammo options are only The Foxtrot Rangers and the Hardcases, both have no armor which is expected I guess. What popped into my head (For a 200 Point game) was to use guys with stealth and cammo and then use a few motorcycles for smoke and distractions and Devil Dogs for some in your face disruption. The cammo and stealth guys can have a sniper, flamers and rifles and possibly a rocket launcher OR a lot of Foxtrot Antipersonnel mines. I'm sure I'm not considering something important since I've never played a 200 pt. game.

3. Brother Smoke

Brother Smoke Bureau Trimurti Representative

Hey bud, welcome to the wonderful world of Ariadna, grab a chair, take some whiskey and get ready for a ride

Any idea of what kind of mission you will be playing? that has a huge bearing on what your lists should be

As for future purchases, I would definitely recommend you grab a box of grunts first thing, so you can link them up

4. MachSkinner

MachSkinner New Member

Hi thanks for posting! I'll be doing more objectives based missions. In the latest game I played I had to activate three computer terminals for points. Killing more enemies that my opponent got me points too. One of the terminals had to have a guy stay base to base in order to retrieve the points.

It was an interesting battle for me. First, it was a smaller board. I'll be playing on a 3x3 board next time. What I noticed in that smaller type of game was that my opponent (YuJing) who was playing against me didn't want to get close to my flamer grunts and my my Minuteman HMG at all, so he was always in cover trying to pick me off from a distance and trying to rocket launch me to death. I ran my marauder, minuteman and two flamer grunts and a dismounted maverick up through some tight doorways in order to get to the terminals. I like that they have heavy armor but they are slow. 4-2 except the minuteman, he's a 4-4 beast. The foxtrot guy was really cool too but has no armor. I did like how his cammo and a single mine slowed down my opponent and burned his orders.

To make a short story shorter. . .Because I was so aggressive I won the game because I killed three of his guys (with ARO lucky flamer and rifle shots) and I successfully activated two terminals. I didn't get one Offensive burst off at all lol! He was always in cover. I lost the third terminal because my last guy (marauder) got killed on the third terminal but he used dogged to take a final ARO flamer at a rushing YuJing who was trying to take the final terminal. With his last breath he killed the YuJing soldier. By that time he had run out of orders and all my guys were dead. So objectively I did win lol.

So in hind sight I think the high armor and taking prone positions behind low barricades helped me last a lot longer. I did have rifles and an HMG but no sniper. I found the HMG and rifles less useful based on how I played the game. I would have done more CC if the opportunity arose but it did not. I was trying to stay clear of the rocket launcher half the time. The flamers were awesome as a defensive weapon. I think as a player I need to take advantage of longer range weapons but I definitely wanted to get up and close to the objectives. So I'll probably be playing those types of games. I found them pretty fun with USAriadna!

So by "linking them up" you mean using the fire team core rules for grunts? I haven't quite figured out the advantages of that yet. All I know is that FTs bring your burst number up and that its similar to the the pack mentality for the Devil dog Antipodes. I also need to start using the suppressive fire rules I think.

5. Balewolf

Balewolf It's all opinion

If you want to play Camo and Dogs, it almost sounds like TAK would be more in your wheelhouse. I don't use the Devil Dogs, but my mentality for USAR in 300pt games is that if you're going to run Foxtrots, run 4 of them. You can coordinate drop mines, coordinate re-camo, it's very good for area denial and objective grabbers and the BS one can put some hurt out and opponents rarely expect them.

MachSkinner likes this.
  6. Brother Smoke

I see. Are you playing the missions from the USARiadna army pack by any chance?

I am glad to see you are enjoying USAr's flamethrower availability as that is one of the faction's main draws. They do make a great deterrent, but you must be careful, because when you use them the enemy can shoot you unopposed, whereas using a weapon like a rifle or an HMG gives you a chance to beat your opponent in a face-to-face gunfight.

While most of USAr's profiles are pretty hefty when it comes to armor, the Foxtrot's main draw is his camo, which makes enemies unable to shoot you while in marker state and take a -3 BS penalty when not. They are most valued for their cheap forward observer profile, which can take objectives in tournament missions and can start halfway up the board and in camo state for easy access.

Yes, exactly. A fireteam gets you many advantages and are the main purpose of playing a sectorial (LIKE USAr) versus a "vanilla" army (such as regular Ariadna). Depending on the number of members a fireteam has it can grant you an extra burst (3 man) sixth sense, or the ability to shoot back at attackers even outside of LOF (4 man) and finally a +3 bonus to your BS (5 man). The rules are a bit complicated, so maybe if you are just starting out you might want to wait to use them.

Unfortunately this is incorrect. When you make a BS attack with a coordinated order, all models involved must pick the same target. Dropping a mine is considered a BS attack, and the target is the point where the mine is placed. Since all the mines cannot be placed on the same spot then only one mine can be placed.

A good alternative is using a coordinated order to put 4 foxtrots in suppressive fire. This will make it very difficult for the enemy to hit them (-3 BS for camo, -3 for suppressive fire and possible -3 for cover for a total of -9)

MachSkinner likes this.
  7. Balewolf

Balewolf It's all opinion

It's been confirmed from multiple sources that you can, unless its been recently FAQ'd. You just can't mix deploy-able/mine types.

Brother Smoke likes this.
  8. Brother Smoke

I searched the old forums and you're totally right, I was confused by the FAQ about smoke grenades. Learn something every day!

Balewolf likes this.
  9. MachSkinner

MachSkinner New Member

I like that -9 suppressive fire idea and then I'll definitely look into coordinated orders for the mines.

No I haven't played any of the US Ariadna Missions yet but I do have the boxed set, yes.

I'll slowly work my way into the fire team rules for sure.

Thanks guys!

10. MachSkinner

MachSkinner New Member

Hi guys, I'm preparing for a future 300pt battle (3 objectives I guess) some day and was wondering what you think of this list. See attached.

Attached Files:

#10 MachSkinner, Oct 21, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation