1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Construction site

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by Asgeir, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

For the fencing, what the companies in the US use is a post with feet that the fence panels attach to. It's shaped more or less like an upside-down T (or an X on the ground with a post sticking straight up from the crosspoint), though sometimes there are small diagonal bracing struts from the post to the feet.

With the existing fence material design (which I really like, BTW!), you might need to make the vertical post more like the H-beams in the buildings (and I can't say I like that idea much more than you do, building H-beams out of MDF must be a pain in the butt!). Maybe raiding some Plastruct or Evergreen Styrene architectural pieces instead of MDF?

2. Asgeir

Asgeir Well-Known Member

@Section9 Sorry, but I don´t get it. Why do I need to make the vertical post more like the H-beams? Because of today´s fence design?

#22 Asgeir, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  3. Oestvang

Oestvang Well-Known Member

That set of beams came out great. If you wind up doing a set of these, you may want to see if someone like Every Little War could resell them for you.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

4. Section9

Sorta.

Making H-beams for the fence posts would let you just slot the plastic fence pieces in between them. You'd have a fence post between each big panel and no supports on the bottoms of the panels like you have now. Lots more complex to build initially, though, and potentially really fragile in storage, so that may not be desirable.

I think it would look better than those big supports you have now, though.

I guess the web in the middle of the H-beam would need to be about twice the thickness of whatever acrylic you use for the fence panels, so that you can curve the fence around. So, if that's a 2mm thick acrylic sheet, the center web of the H-beam would need to be ~4mm wide and ~3mm in from the edge of the H. That would let you make close to a 45deg bend in the fenceline. More than that would put the fence panels outside the H-beam, but the other end should be able to hold it upright OK.

Another idea would be to make some clips with a hole the size of your fencepost in the middle (whole thing would be shaped kinda like a very short combination wrench, much shorter than this).
    [​IMG]
    That would let you put the panel at almost any angle to the post. The panel would slot into the open end, and you could have a square fence post (say, 3mm square) set at 45deg to the fenceline, so that the X-shaped stand under the post would be clear of the fence panels.

Or I may just be grossly over-engineering things.

5. Asgeir

Asgeir Well-Known Member

Hey @Section9 did some thinking based on your wrench idea, and think I´ll make some prototypes of the concept below. It will of course need to be placed in a zig-zag pattern or a sharp bend per chain but on the other hand, it´s super minimalistic which is always nice.
    I guess I would attach them in chains of maybe 6 sections...

[​IMG]

6. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Doing it in a zigzag on the table makes it able to be used as cover down its length, which is a good thing. One of the issues/features with fences is that they create a killzone at their base.

I've seen zig-zagging security fencing in real life, at a festival on muddy ground to make it harder to push over. Although it does appear to be rare (can't find a picture of it online).

Final positive, it fits a hex bases aesthetic.

jherazob and Section9 like this.
  7. Section9

Yeah, that's exactly what I was trying to describe in words!

If you add a base to the post you attach the 'wrenches' to, you won't need to zigzag the fence. Though as @inane.imp points out, it's probably better for gameplay to have the fence zigzag an inch or two. Otherwise you're going to need boxes and stuff to put next to the fence for cover.

jherazob likes this.
  8. inane.imp

You should have boxes and stuff to put next to the fence. Ideally you want these to be less that S2 tall so they can be used to vault over the fence.

Which raises the question, how high is the fence?

I'd make it higher than S5 but less than S6. So ~
    ~50mm

This will mean that it stops Infantry but TAGs (and Dogs) go right over it. Which seems to be the plan looking at the Guija.

9. Asgeir

Asgeir Well-Known Member

The height is 55 mm.
    :D
    Unfortunately, my Guijia is mostly a paperweight. Didn´t even field it when playing vanilla, and now I play ISS only.

10. inane.imp

55mm is an awkward height, it's exactly the same height as S6 so it's a touch ambiguous whether it vaultable or not (not ruleswise, but visually).

And yeah, Guijas are cool looking but meh. Mine usually sees the table as a Lizard.

11. Asgeir

Asgeir Well-Known Member

Good point, I´ll adjust the height to 50 mm.

inane.imp likes this.
  12. Asgeir

Asgeir Well-Known Member

Some new prototypes from the cutter. Really happy with the dome! Now I just need to come up with a nice concept for the garden inside.

[​IMG]
    Gotta have some solar cells.

[​IMG]
    The blunder dome.

13. itsuncertainwho

itsuncertainwho Well-Known Member

Dome looks great so far!

14. Section9

Very nice, and yes, you always gotta have rooftop clutter!

Two dummies enter, no-one leaves! :smiling_imp:

jherazob likes this.
  15. Asgeir

Asgeir Well-Known Member

Getting back to the project after a hiatus. Had to focus on renovating the house...

Finished my heating units for Frostbyte last night. Might add some dust to make them fit the mat though.

[​IMG]

Melchior, Mr Brown, Xeurian and 6 others like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation