1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting Nomads?

Discussion in 'Nomads' started by Dr.Schemes, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Dr.Schemes

Dr.Schemes Member

I am pretty new player and am very interested in Nomads, however I am having trouble wrapping my head around list building. I have a decent grasp of the rules and abilities and attempted a 300 pt list. Is the list any good and if not why and how can it be improved?

[​IMG] Initial list
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]9 [​IMG]1 [​IMG]1
    [​IMG] KRIZA BORAC HMG / Heavy Pistol, CC Weapon. (2 | 54)
    [​IMG] LUNOKHOD Heavy Shotgun, Heavy Flamethrower, D-Charges, CrazyKoalas (2) / Electric Pulse. (0 | 25)
    [​IMG] INTRUDER HMG, Grenades / Pistol, CCW. (1.5 | 42)
    [​IMG] INTERVENTOR Hacker Lieutenant (Hacking Device Plus) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 25)
    [​IMG] ZERO (Deployable Repeater) Combi Rifle, E/Mauler / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 19)
    [​IMG] BANDIT Hacker (Killer Hacking Device) Light Shotgun, Adhesive Launcher / Pistol, DA CCW. (0 | 25)
    [​IMG] TOMCAT Doctor (MediKit) Combi Rifle + Light Flamethrower / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 22)
    [​IMG] KRAKOT RENEGADE 2 Chain Rifles, Grenades / Pistol, DA CC Weapon. (0 | 14)
    [​IMG] MORAN (Forward Observer) Combi Rifle, CrazyKoalas (2) / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 22)
    [​IMG] MORAN (Forward Observer) Combi Rifle, CrazyKoalas (2) / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 22)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]3
    [​IMG] JAGUAR Chain Rifle, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, DA CCW. (0 | 10)

5 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

2. Vakarian

Vakarian Bad Nomad

Honestly, that's not a bad start at all, although personally I might swap 2 of the Jaguars in the second group for 3 Morlocks (personal preference, but as throwaway warbands go, there's few better than our drug-addled bodymodders).

Nomads lists can be incredibly varied, we have a lot of options to cover certain roles. You've certainly picked a lot of the traditional Nomad staples to make up that list, so you're in good territory.

3. natetehaggresar

natetehaggresar Senior Backlogged Painter Manager

You have a lot of good selections, its a solid generalist all comers list. As you play more, and maybe play in tournaments, you'll find it probably better to tailor your list building to the scenarios, some call for very unique tool sets.

That said there are a few minor changes I would consider. The tomcat could be placed in group 2 until called for, that maximizes orders in your main pool. You also might consider as @Vakarian suggested change a few jags into morlocks. The difference is morlocks are extreme impetuous + irregular, they are generally better at laying down smoke, having twice as many orders to do so, but they have less flexibility due to the nature of their orders.

But yeah,just minor tweeks, that probably come down to play style preference.

inane.imp, Dr.Schemes and Vakarian like this.
  4. Dr.Schemes

Dr.Schemes Member

Thanks for the suggestions. There was a version where morlocks were there instead of jaguars but I switched it because I wanted the flexibility of regular orders, but the irregular and impetuous is very good and is something I didn't really consider. @natetehaggresar If I placed the tomcat in the second group would I move a jaguar in there? Also, if I did transition to morlocks i'm not sure what i would do with the extra 12 points, and would I still move the tomcat to group 2?

5. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

I would just swap the Krakot or Kriza or Intruder for one Jaguar.

Dr.Schemes likes this.
  6. Dr.Schemes

Dr.Schemes Member

Interesting, could you explain why? I intended for the Kriza and intruder to be my main assault units that would eliminate threats proactively. Is it because swapping one out for a jaguar would give me more tactical options and those freed up points to fill more roles while not losing too much firepower?

7. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

You can get a lot of the obligitory long range ARO clearing out of the way with those 3 orders using an HMG.

Unless your play style involves using both in the same group. Maybe they use coordinated orders so they need to share a group. In that case I would swap a Moran or the Krakot.

Either way swapping the Jag out for one both adds Smoke to the first order pool and gives you more options for those extra orders.

Personally, my second group usually has the dual purpose of having at least two orders left to shoot at an ARO and to force the order drain by command token to be between slowing down my Intruder in CG2 or Bandit in CG1.
    A Moran is common in CG2 as well in case my Intruder has no targets, that way I can just take objectives and set the Koalas.
    Finally there's always at least 1 Jag in CG2 in case I want to get smoke down without taking from the main group.

One way to think of it is having more options for those orders. What if a Jaguar isn't useful on turn 1? The only choices you get with 3 Jags is their positioning, or maybe an LSG.

Dr.Schemes likes this.
  8. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Well-Known Member

Brainfart, sry. Was completely wrong what I wrote

9. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

I second either @Vakarian's or @loricus' advice. Either way makes for a really solid way to build the second order group.

1 Regular + 3 Morlocks is actually extremely flexible. It's 7 orders to spend on Morlocks: what's not to love?

I also regularly run Interventor Lts in the second group: it allows you to put Supportware or White Noise down without using orders from your main pool. So Jaguar + Moran FO + Interventor LT works nicely.

I'd only actually suggest minor changes to the list, neither of which are necessary more by way of 'food for thought'.
    First, dropping the Krakot for a Puppetmaster Minelayer: Puppetmasters are excellent DZ defence (without puppets) and Counter-intelligence helps a lot if you're going first (and that list can reward going first in a mission like Supplies). But with an irregular and Tomcat in the first group, you'll start getting low if it's stripped.
    Second, swapping the Zero to a KHD and the Bandit to an FO: this is mainly personal preference, I find Zero KHDs are excellent hanging around the objectives either to push buttons or to kill my opponent's hackers and can be played conservatively, whereas I want to be able to push my Bandits agressively... which sometimes clashes with them being my only KHD.

Dr.Schemes, Vakarian and loricus like this.
  10. Dr.Schemes

Dr.Schemes Member

This is all great advice, I think I'm going to switch the jaguars to morlock in group 2 so I'll end up with one Jaguar and three morlocks. However, I really like @loricus suggestion of having the intruder in CG2 in order to force that hard decision of where to place that order drain. But if I move the intruder I feel that my order pool in suffers because of the now present morlocks. I feel like there is a unit I change that would make this more cohesive but I don't see it. Honestly, I think I would just have to try both Jaguars and Morlocks and test these little changes to see how it feels. @inane.imp I like the zero with KHD suggestion and might try that but how important is it to have repeaters in a list with like this?

loricus likes this.
  11. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

You have 2 Morans and a Lunokhod. You've got Repeaters. My bigger concern would be losing the EMaulers, personally I'd prefer KHD Zero + BSG Bandit + 2 x Moran FOs. But I play in a TAG heavy meta.

Loricus' (Intruder in Group 2) and Vakarian's suggestions (Morlocks in Group 2) are, largely, mutually incompatible without other changes.*

They're both good suggestions, but they are different approaches.

* Other changes like dropping the Lunokhod + 1 Jag for a Stempler + 2 x Transductors.

[​IMG] Initial list

GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]9 [​IMG]1
    [​IMG] INTERVENTOR Hacker Lieutenant (Hacking Device Plus) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 25)
    [​IMG] BANDIT (Forward Observer) Light Shotgun, Adhesive Launcher / Pistol, DA CCW. (0 | 23)
    [​IMG] ZERO Hacker (Killer Hacking Device) Combi Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 21)
    [​IMG] TOMCAT Doctor (MediKit) Combi Rifle + Light Flamethrower / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 22)
    [​IMG] TRANSDUCTOR ZOND Flash Pulse, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)
    [​IMG] STEMPLER ZOND Combi Rifle, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 17)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]3 [​IMG]2 [​IMG]2
    [​IMG] PUPPET MASTERS (Minelayer) Submachine Gun, Antipersonnel Mines / PistolKnife. (0.5 | 14)
    [​IMG] MORLOCK Chain Rifle, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, E/M CCW. (0 | 6)

5.5 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Dr.Schemes likes this.
  12. Dr.Schemes

Dr.Schemes Member

I think I get it know. At least now I have a very solid heading where I want to take this and what I want to try out. Again, thanks everyone for the quick and thorough answers.

loricus likes this.
  13. HarlequinOfDeath

HarlequinOfDeath Tha Taskmastaaa
    Warcor

At the moment you have 4 guys who want to to do sth.:
    Kriza + Lunokhod + Intruder + Krakot

The Morans are already good Repeater coverage for your Interventor. Zero should be played as Minelayer to play the camo game.

A doctor without Zonds is always a bit risky.

I would try sth. like this if you want to keep the most of your models:

[​IMG] Initial list

[​IMG] BANDIT Hacker (Killer Hacking Device) Light Shotgun, Adhesive Launcher / Pistol, DA CCW. (0 | 25)
    [​IMG] KRAKOT RENEGADE 2 Chain Rifles, Grenades / Pistol, DA CC Weapon. (0 | 14)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]5
    [​IMG] DAKTARI Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 14)
    [​IMG] ZONDBOT Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)
    [​IMG] ZERO (Minelayer) Combi Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 19)
    [​IMG] SALYUT (Minesweeper, Repeater) Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)

5.5 SWC | 297 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Now your damage dealers have more orders because group 2 can hack, heal, lay mines and place smoke without affecting your damage output.

I am not a fan of playing many Morlocks. I usually play max. 2 (tried up to 8). But I like more to have backup orders and safe smoke from Jaguars.

14. Ben Kenobi

Still don't like the Bandit KHD, and i would cut one Zondbot to include a Morlock.

[​IMG] Initial list

[​IMG] BANDIT (Forward Observer) Light Shotgun, Adhesive Launcher / Pistol, DA CCW. (0 | 23)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]5 [​IMG]1 [​IMG]1
    [​IMG] DAKTARI Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 14)
    [​IMG] ZERO Hacker (Killer Hacking Device) Combi Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 21)
    [​IMG] SALYUT (Minesweeper, Repeater) Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)

5 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

15. Vakarian

Vakarian Bad Nomad

In the lists @Ben Kenobi and @HarlequinOfDeath just posted, I would strongly recommend moving the Intruder HMG to the second group. Maybe swap him for the Zero or the Jaguar. Currently that second group has more orders than it needs for just Interventor Lt and smoke-throwing.

inane.imp likes this.
  16. HarlequinOfDeath

HarlequinOfDeath Tha Taskmastaaa
    Warcor

I would rather switch a Moran into group 2 than the Intruder. :) But this depends on playstyle I guess.

17. Ben Kenobi

Think @Vakarian is right. But I would swap the Bandit.

Vakarian likes this.
  18. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

I always do Bandit in main group, games that I can spend every order on him put me way ahead.

Vakarian and inane.imp like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation