1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kozmo's Tactic Asteroid Belt

Discussion in 'Smoke & Mirrors' started by Roadrunner7431, May 3, 2018.

1. Roadrunner7431

Roadrunner7431 Well-Known Member

Please correct me if I misplayed. The other team's Will Bill declares Twin Pistols against my ally Mushashi.
    I play Asteroid Belt and move my Kozmo which happens to be many spaces away to swap positions with Mushashi. I place Mushashi behind Kozmo so that if Bill gets his :3::3::3: switch Mushashi may get cover from Kozmo. Now Will Bill must finish his attack against Kozmo. He gets :2::2::2: and :3::3::3: and Kozmo gets :1::1::3:. Kozmo decides to use his :1::3: switch to place smoke in a space between Bill and Mushashi to protect him from the second Twin Pistols attack that Bill could trigger.
    If all of this is correct, Kozmo's abilities are like Maximus on hallucinogens. Kozmo jumps across the Hexadome to protect his Ally.

2. zlavin

zlavin Well-Known Member

Yes, that is correct.

Are you really having troubles understanding the text of those characters and tactics? As you are asking for clarifications but you seem to get the things right.

Roadrunner7431 likes this.
  3. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

Sometimes you make a play and after seeing the result you think "Maybe i did something wrong... Is it really supposed to work this way? It seems so broken..."
    But then you realize that Kozmo has 4 HP and can die pretty fast doing this trick...

4. -V-

-V- A! Team member
    CB Staff

That's the point.

5. zlavin

zlavin Well-Known Member

I ask becouse maybe there is something in the text that we miss and the A! Team can improve. The Aristeia! rules are simple but the interactions between characters, states and tactics will grow and things will get a bit complex. But this expansion is not the one supposed to blow your mind...

Roadrunner7431 and -V- like this.
  6. Roadrunner7431

tox's post understands my reasons for posting. I am learning A! by reading this forum and playing the TTS mod mostly in Hotseat mode. I gave this game to my 33 year old son for Christmas. He was amused and I became obsessed. I don't have a face to face opponent with which to discuss the game.

WarHound, Murt4ir, anaris and 6 others like this.
  7. -V-

-V- A! Team member
    CB Staff

And you have our respect for doing so.
    [​IMG]

Egape, Koni, Flipswitch and 2 others like this.
  8. Jukibu

Jukibu New Member

What happens if Kozmo is "Hidden" when using Asteroid Belt?

9. Roadrunner7431

@Jukibu I do not see how the Hidden State will affect Asteroid Belt at all. When I have seen it used Kosmo literally slingshots his way across the Hexadome (often into a scoring zone) and takes the Attack that was meant for his Ally. If he is Hidden, well he chose to take the attack so if the original attack against his ally was a valid one then I would say this new Attack is still valid because Kosmo chose to get into Harms Way.

10. Plebian

Plebian Well-Known Member

I agree. Kosmo becomes the new target, so line of sight doesn't matter.

11. treiral

treiral Midnight poster

Counterpoint, LoS matters because successes from the attacker will not render :4:to Kozmo, since it's Hidden, unless the attack is :SL:.

12. Roadrunner7431

@treiral You make a valid point. But, imagine you are one of the spectators in the Hexadome. Kosmo who is Hidden makes a terrifying leap across the arena in a desperate lunge to interpose himself to take the attack meant for his ally. But "wait" you say he cannot suffer :4: unless the attack does not require LoS. I respectfully submit that your point which is justifiable by strict reading of the rules would not be believable in real play. Even Batman who strikes from the shadows is theoretically vulnerable when he chooses to engage a villain.

13. -V-

-V- A! Team member
    CB Staff

The idea is that Kozmo replaces the original Target of the Attack, so he adquires same conditions of LoS, etc. We'll answer this question next FAQ.

Flipswitch and treiral like this.
  14. treiral

treiral Midnight poster

Oh, I agree on that point, one's going to need to do some mental gymnastics to make believable certain rules and card interactions in the game. For instance, Hidden characters can't take advantage of cover. Why? I thought the whole purpose of getting cover was stay "hidden" and protected from the enemy attack. Can't they both stay hidden while taking cover? Why are they so exposed? Not that I mind, I think Hidden is pretty strong, and honestly, I think it overlaps a little with smoke.
    Another one, the card "No!". Why would an opponent saying No stop you from playing whatever tactic? Would the character just say "Oh, ok, Nevermind then, sorry mate" and move on? It's ridiculous in the narrative, but it's fun just saying "Nope" to your opponent.

Back to Kozmo. Thinking narratively, the only way for Kozmo to get :O: would be thanks to Eclypse, who surrounds it in "shadows". Eclypse's shadows are notorious for subduing the light, rendering Kozmo practically invisible. Forward to Asteroid Belt, Kozmo flungs itself and push his ally out of harm's way just when the attacker begins his/her attack, but Kozmo's still hidden in the shadows, which means the attacker is blindly shooting at the space where he/she "thinks" his target was. I picture this more like Predator avoiding Arnold Schwarzenegger's shooting spray than Batman engaging a mook.

15. Flipswitch

Flipswitch Sepsitorised by Intent

Hidden not benefitting from cover does irk me a little, I'm wondering if it's to keep Dart's main switch in check.

16. Roadrunner7431

@Flipswitch Thank you for getting us to think about what exactly would be the reason why a Hidden character not gaining the extra:): from Cover. I think you pointed out correctly that it prevents the 50% chance of gaining a :1: to trigger a general switch. Dart is not the only one who could benefit greatly. For instance both Hexxer and 8-ball have general switches of :1::3: to displace themselves. Supposed that they used that switch as a Hidden character to displace themselves into a scoring zone without being vulnerable to taking :4: on a face to face roll, there would be a huge outcry saying that that strategy is overpowered.

Flipswitch likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation