1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New wave of Varuna rumors (OMG)

Discussion in 'PanOceania' started by barakiel, Sep 29, 2018.

1. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

Well, a fast moving cavalry unit to cut off retreats and/or escapes makes sense, and knights are an elite part of the PMC...

Pen-dragon, Section9 and Stiopa like this.
  2. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

I think that's the most salty thing I've read this year, and that's quite an achievement. We're just seeing signs that CB finally got more creative when it comes to PanO, and they were never shy about giving us a good amount of power, so what's with this? It's just being salty for the sake of it.

Oh, I don't think it's a coincidence. I think they've found MechDep unit to be a better base for the change than Holo2. They might prefer to take MechDep away from PanO, than to take away Holo, especially if it's going to be replaced by a different form of mobility.

This doesn't mean that they wouldn't be better off doing this with Teutons, or that Knight Bikers will be a good fit for Varuna at all.

toadchild and Golem2God like this.
  3. kanluwen

kanluwen Well-Known Member

And yet we never had a single goddamned mention of them with Varuna before now.

Piss off. This is why Knights need to be a NA2.

DFW Ike and SKOZZOKONZ like this.
  4. Rannith

Rannith Well-Known Member

Not for the sake of it, I’m not sure I agree with your comment about power but I will try to hold my depression in check until some genuine confirmed fact is available.

5. Riquende

Riquende Well-Known Member

Whilst the ancient etymology of the word is indeed tied up with horses, I think in the context of the Order the name relates more to the social class.

Holo bikers would be funny pretty though.

Enemy sentry: "Hmm, that rapidly advancing mulebot seems pretty game for a fight..."

Also, if there is an unmounted model I would expect it to be the CCW-only 'proxy me as anything' guy, that way Vanilla and MO players get access to spitfire Montesa back after the ASA starter goes bye-bye. Pretty clever move.

6. kanluwen

To be fair, people got excited over the Locust and then...well yeah.

And that's the rub right fricking there. No mention of Knights with Varuna's counterterrorism forces before now and oh look, it's Knight Bikers! Hot on the heels of the idiotic Sphess Bikers for Tunguska and Russkie Bikers and the two units of Bikers for USARF!

We get it CB. You like motorcycles.

TaHu likes this.
  7. Ayadan

Ayadan Knight of the TAG Order

Well, if I remember well, TAGs are part of the Armored Cavalry. And the Order of the St Sepulchre is the one which has the most of them. So...
    I think motorbikes were used as mechanized infantry by Germans during WWII, not as part of the Cavalry.

rooki1 and Stiopa like this.
  8. Stiopa

To each his own, I guess. I found the rumours quite exciting, question of Montesa Angels being a reasonable design choice nonwithstanding.

Balance-wise PanO was never in a tight spot. The problem was it's one-dimensional gameplay. It looks like CB decided to remedy that and then some.

Oh, I think a lot of players like them as well.

Given that we've hardly knew anything about Varuna at all making a complain that we've learned about this just now is baseless. It's litereally complaining about a new unit concept just because it's new.

toadchild, Pen-dragon, YTonic and 9 others like this.
  9. semper_fidelis

semper_fidelis Active Member

I don't know if I like the idea but definitely can imagine this to come. This could happen when the Svarlaheima sectorial drops.

Stiopa likes this.
  10. kanluwen

Good for them. But those same players are the ones that constantly argued with me that it was unfeasible to have something like a frigging dune buggy in the game. Now we have bikes everywhere.

I'd be happy for those players to just shut the hell up and play the Sectorials where Bikes are rather than them wanting them crammed in everywhere. We didn't need the Sphess Bikers, we didn't need the USARF bikers, and we don't need this garbage.
    We knew ENOUGH about Varuna to make it a very valid complaint. We knew about Helots before, we knew about them having NO KNIGHTS and the planet being an all-water world. We knew about Kamau, we knew about Croc-Men, we knew about Fusiliers.

I'd also like to point out that this is great support to the argument that Varuna is Shock Army +1. The article even states that it's not a "new unit concept", it's "reinventing the Knights Montesa".

DFW Ike and TaHu like this.
  11. Stiopa

Getting from "reinventing one unit" to "VIRD is ASA+1" is a pretty big leap. We really don't know enough to judge if and how the sectorials will differ in gameplay. Especially given upcoming tweaks to ASA, which might allow CB to shift it a bit and make them more different.

As for who needs the bikes: I'll argue that they fit well in TJC, USARF and TAK. I'm holding my judgement on VIRD until I'll see the whole picture.

12. kanluwen

I want to hope you're right, but given that CB didn't do really anything that I felt was significant for FRRM? I'm sticking by VIRD is SAA+1.

Nobody "needs" the bikes though. That's the point. TJC, USARF, TAK...none of them needed them added in. USARF did okay with the introduction of Mavericks, TAK remains to be seen and TJC just didn't need them period. Desperadoes were a horrible fuckup but that wasn't because of them being bikes it was just stupidity on the fluff side of things.

I'm going to go do something that makes sense and doesn't irritate me greatly for awhile. Ciao.

13. Phillimon

Phillimon Kazak Diplomatic Operative

I swear PanO forums are nothing but salt.

Varuna looks awesome AF. I'm excited for it, and look forward to playing with my toy bikers and Orcs.

14. A Mão Esquerda

We had little mention of anything in Varuna outside of what, three, four units until GenCon, so... yeah.

15. ldgif

ldgif Well-Known Member
    Warcor

So PanO gets a unique type of model that hasn’t existed yet... and people complain?

Bikes are an extremely fun unit to play and I for one am super interested in seeing an HI biker.

16. Riquende

Riquende Well-Known Member

People don't.

chaos11, Imladrik, Superfluid and 6 others like this.
  17. Skoll

Skoll Well-Known Member

I wonder if teutons are being reworked entirely to go on those bikes. As the knights with the worst cc it seemed an odd choice to put them on the one tool that gets you close to cc.

Im pretty excited but i sure hope montesa bikes isnt the acon farewell mini and two that montesa feel more like yojimbo (because smoke nades)

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  18. A Mão Esquerda

I could see it filling a type of Su Jian role in Varuna, get behind, Dismount, cut off retreats.

Golem2God likes this.
  19. barakiel

barakiel Echo Bravo Master Sergeant

Whoa whoa. Don't confuse the complaints of some people who don't play as indicative of the community as a whole. I'm freaking thrilled about this news.

chaos11, Pen-dragon, Solar and 13 others like this.
  20. Stiopa

Yeah. PanO forums be like:

Players: "PanO isn't cool!"

CB: "Here, have some Aleph units to have some nice tech and show off how PanO and Aleph support each other"

Players: "Sharing units between armies sucks!"

CB: "Look here you have a whole PanO sectorial, and with knights with power armour. Cool, eh?"

Players: "Half of them is useless. And there are Fusiliers in there, bleh!"

CB: "... ok, look, we're making a whole new sectorial with lots of useful stuff. It'll be fun."

Players: "Now it's just the old one but painted blue!"

CB: "Nonononono, look, we're creating some completely new stuff, like HI bikes!"

Players: "It sucks, this army doesn't need it!"

CB: "... You know what. PanO was a mistake. We're removing it in N4."

Admittedly, I've made some of those complains too, especially about PanO's fun factor and knights usability. But fuck, we should draw a line somewhere...

Yup, me too. Next three months are going to be awesome. Except for my wallet -_-

Ixidro, Superfluid, Solar and 10 others like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation