1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carrots' Infinity plog - PanO and Imperial Service

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Whyarecarrots, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Whyarecarrots

Whyarecarrots Well-Known Member

Hello all.

New forum, new start and hopefully time for me to actually keep one of these things running for more than a few months before getting it archived! (no promises).

I started Infinity by way of Operation: Icestorm a few years ago, and while I've never actually played a full game, I've enjoyed painting the models so much that I've ended up with a very significant PanO/Military Orders force, while the Nomads haven't expanded any further. I'll try and get some decent photos of the full army up in due course, but for now, have some older photos to get a taste of what they looks like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a brief hiatus where I mainly painted steampunk naval vessels, I've come back to Infinity and may actually play some games this time! I've purchased some PanO reinforcements and, unable to resist the lure of shinies, I have picked up the Imperial Service starter set. I've painted the Pheasant Agent so far to try and get the scheme finalised (it's not based yet!). I'm happy with it personally, but very open to feedback!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comments and criticisms very welcome: thanks for looking!

2. snikch

snikch Active Member

really clean but...its only my opinion, they are too much plain, looks like you were too hurry to paint for play.
    I mean, looks like you dont wnt any shadows o lights

Enviado desde mi ZTE Blade L5 Plus mediante Tapatalk

3. Whyarecarrots

Thanks for the feedback :) Highlighting and shading sufficiently was definitely something I had an issue with on my older models (those in the first two photos). I've tried to work on it over time - do you think the Pheasant could still use work in that way as well?

4. snikch

snikch Active Member

well, I think it needs some more work, like shadowing with some inks or trying a nmm on the sword.
    looks like a pre work before finishing.
    I dunno hos to explain it better (sorry about my bad english).
    Just try to ink the skin little, with dark grey ink (mix 9 parts of water 1 of paint)..
    upload pictures to see the improve

Enviado desde mi ZTE Blade L5 Plus mediante Tapatalk

5. Silagast

Silagast Señor de los cabezas huecas,o eran hombres huecos?

Nice job with the colour schemes. I personally like the blue on the nomads.
    As @snikch said, some more highligths work will made them to look much better. Maybe the NMM is a difficult step (I don´t really know how to make it) but at least outlining (I am not sure if this is the word in English for the concept "perrfilar") on the plate´s borders with a light green or red for the pano and or even white will look great. Just try to make it really thin and the look on the table improves a lot.

6. Whyarecarrots

Thanks both for the feedback. I've painted a couple of the Celestial Guard from the starter box and have been making a concerted effort to get more contrast into the highlighting. I've also taken some slightly better photos of the Pheasant Agent, which hopefully shows it off in a slightly better light.

Basing is not done yet - I'm planning to get some resin bases at some point, so please disregard that bit for now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first Celestial Guard (second model I painted for this army)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second Celestial Guard (third model painted for this army):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a quick WiP of the Zhanying agent from the starter box - weapon and tidying up still to be done:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the slight overload of photos. Comments and criticism very welcome as always - thanks for looking!

#6 Whyarecarrots, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  7. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

Looks good, I like your army colour scheme.

I'd suggest cropping your photos and adjusting levels, it should help ;)

8. Whyarecarrots

Good point about the cropping - I'll go back and add in some slightly more cropped images this evening. How would I go about adjusting levels? Afraid my knowledge of stuff like GIMP isn't great!

9. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

There are a lot less complicated programs than GIMP you can use to do simple photo editing. I think Pixler is a free one you can use online.

These models look absolutely phenomenal.

10. Whyarecarrots

This went well....

That being said, I have managed to make a fair amount of progress and have been making a concerted effort to focus my painting more on being striking from a distance (something I've failed on a bit in the past!). It does mean it looks a bit sloppy up close, but overall I'm happy with the effect.

Anyway, onto some photos:

Crane Rank Agent:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hsien Agent:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Zhanyings:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pheasant and Kanren:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Celestial Guard:
    [​IMG]

Kuang-Shi
    [​IMG]

More musings and a few additional photos can be found on the blog: http://whyarecarrots.blogspot.com/2018/08/infinity-imperial-service.html

Comments and criticism very much appreciated. Thanks for looking!

11. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

@Whyarecarrots is back with more art. I think you nailed the color scheme while making the force look unique compared to the other ISS schemes I've seen on the forums.

12. Whyarecarrots

You're very kind, thank you :)

And now for something a bit different, a test model for a JSA army:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm overall happy with it, but I'm planning to darken down the grey a bit to make it less white. Any comments and criticism and suggestions are very much appreciated!

#12 Whyarecarrots, Sep 1, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    Golem2God, Xeurian, Oni and 3 others like this.
  13. Whyarecarrots

I've spent some time recently painting up some Japanese Secessionist Army troops, as a break from Imperial Service. I have still got a lot of ISS troops painted that I will show once I get around to taking decent photos.

In the meantime however, Japanese!

While I liked the above test model, I still wasn't sure about it for a full army. I then decided to paint a model with more of a dark red rather than a dark purple, which I ended up preferring, after much deliberation:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I ended up painting more like this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a group shot (I chose not to repaint the test model as I do like it and it doesn't stand out too terribly):
    [​IMG]

More photos and considerably more musing on colour scheme choices on the blog: http://whyarecarrots.blogspot.com/2018/09/infinity-japanese-secessionist-army.html

Comments and criticism very much appreciated - thanks for looking!

Daimeow, Xeurian, Golem2God and 5 others like this.
  14. Xeurian

Xeurian Well-Known Member

The JSA look very cool. If it wasn't for the background I could have sworn you were using a camera filter. They really look like they just stepped out of a comic book.

15. Whyarecarrots

Thanks Xeurian :) I'm not deliberately using a filter, but the photos were taken on a smartphone camera, so who knows what weird post processing is going on behind the scenes!

16. Whyarecarrots

Hello all. I've done some more work on the JSA, including the Daiyokai Dengekitai, which was a hell of a painting process, and had a lot more time lavished on it than the other models of the army so far. I've also painted the two Ryuken Unit-9 as well as the Oniwaban.

Anyway, onto the photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a group of the recently painted models:

[​IMG]

More photos as well as further musings can be found on the blog: http://whyarecarrots.blogspot.com/2018/09/more-jsa-reinforcements-look-at-this.html#more

Thanks for looking!

Xeurian, Berjiz, jherazob and 6 others like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation