1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It looks like the FAQ on Prysm vs. Tactics Cards is in error.

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Hecaton, Sep 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

One, that isn't the wording of Pulsing Light (maybe it is closer in Spanish). Two, Parvati's Reset 2.0 says that it can be played any time during a character's activation - so you could play it during the Preparation Step and avoid this whole thing. Ditto with Swerve. Would be worth taking another look at this.

2. Damiel

Damiel Domaru sexytorizado :3
    Warcor

From the Wiki:

Which means that the first thing you should do is check that your active character is not provoked by Prysm (or is out of range). If not, you have to attack.

Also from the Wiki:

So you can't use Reset 2.0 during the Preparation Step, since your active character is not yet at the Hexadome.

Hope it helps!

:3

3. Hecaton

@Damiel sure, but the Preparation Step happens first. And Reset 2.0 doesn't care about the bench in this context, not sure where that's coming from. I'm talking about a character who was in the hexadome the whole time.

4. Damiel

Warcor

Yes, I took the Bench thing in, sorry.

Anyway, you can play Tactics with "During the Activation of..." in your active character's Actions Step only.

Form the Wiki

During Preparation Step you can only play Tactics with the "Beginning/ End of Preparation Step" timing only.

So, Reset 2.0 can't be played before attacking Prysm with a provoked character.

5. Hecaton

Citation needed. There are other tactics cards that say they can only be played during the Actions step. Reset 2.0 is not one of them.

meikyoushisui likes this.
  6. Damiel

Warcor

Once again, from the Wiki:

As you can see, the only non-mandatory things you can play are Effects at the Beginning/End of the step. Since Reset 2.0 doesn't have this timing, you can't play it.

7. Roadrunner7431

Roadrunner7431 Well-Known Member

I am siding with @Damiel. Automatic skills are meant to be especially powerful. I quote from the Reference Guide:
    In addition to Actions, some Character cards include Automatic Skills, indicated by their orange title . Automatic Skills’ Effects are always active, even during an Enemy’s Activation, or when the Character is in the Infirmary or the Bench.
    So Pulsing Light takes effect before any enemy character has the opportunity to try to counter it. It is always active. Eclypse would have to flip Prysm's taunt on a previous activation for it to lose effect.

#7 Roadrunner7431, Sep 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  8. Hecaton

Nothing you guys say is backed up by the rules. I hope Aristeia's rules don't degrade to the mess that Infinity's are.

9. Roadrunner7431

I respectfully refer to the Quick Reference Guide. It is important to follow the sequence carefully.

Attached Files:

10. -V-

-V- A! Team member
    CB Staff

We're reviewing this right now. We'll fix FAQ today so this point gets clear.

Thanks for notice!

:wink:

meikyoushisui and Hecaton like this.
  11. Hecaton

I'd encourage reading that again. There's nothing there that says you can't play tactics during the Preparation Step.

12. Roadrunner7431

I think it would be helpful to have a clarification from -V- about how seriously we should consider the Automatic Skill of an Enemy character. If it is always in effect then I believe it occurs before the possibility of playing any Tactics. Yes, you can play Tactics during the Preparations step but "Pulsing Light" would already have taken effect forcing you to attack so those Tactics would not have the desired effect of invalidating the Automatic Skill.
    The Reference Guide makes a statement:
    SOLVING

RULES CONTRADICTIONS

Whenever two or more rules appear contradictory, use this list —ordered from higher to lower priority— to determine which one takes precedence:

1. If a rule says something cannot happen, that restriction always takes precedence.

I interpret this that if an enemy Automatic Skill would prevent you from doing what you want to do - in effect a "restriction" then that Automatic Skill takes precedence.

13. -V-

-V- A! Team member
    CB Staff

This is final text:
    Remember structure of an Activation:
    Preparation Step
    Actions Step
    1. At the beginning of this step, remember to apply any Effects that apply 'at the beginning of the Actions Step'.
    2. During this step, you can spend Action Points to perform the active Character's Actions, spend Movement Points to move the active Character around the HexaDome and to play Tactics.
    The first thing you must do at step 2. is Attack Prysm. Before you can play a Tactic like Reset 2.0. or activate Fairy Dust from Laxmee (which activates at step 1. Beginnging of the Actions Step.

14. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

The rules confusion that Hecaton is referring to is that you can play Reset 2.0 'During one of your Character's Activations'. Not 'During the Actions Phase of one of your Character's Activations'. I can't find any FAQ that changes the timing of 'During one of your Character's Activations' Tactics.

So, as written, you can play Reset 2.0 during the Preparations Step.

As the FAQ says that Pulsing Light takes effect at the start of the Character's Actions Phase (not Step!), the Taunted state is already gone.

meikyoushisui, Hecaton and -V- like this.
  15. -V-

-V- A! Team member
    CB Staff

Phase. Right. Fixed at WiKi.

Thank you!

:wink:

16. Hecaton

@-V- to clarify, is there a reason you can't play Reset 2.0 during the Preparation Step to remove Prysm's taunt?

17. -V-

-V- A! Team member
    CB Staff

Maybe I didn't express properly: there's currently no reason you can't play Reset 2.0., as you can play it during the 5 phases of A. Preparation Step and the 1. Beginning of the Actions Step of B. Actions Step.

Hecaton likes this.
  18. Plebian

Plebian Well-Known Member

@-V- it seems like there was a change in wording between core and expansions.

In core, several cards say during a characters activation, while in expansions it says during the actions srep of characters activation.

I feel the simple approach is to rule that "during activation" means "during actions step of activation." That brings the core cards in line with expansion cards and solves this issue, allowing prysm to work as intended by the faq.

19. Roadrunner7431

I believe that there is still some dispute about how powerful an Automatic Skill of an opposing character actually can be. If an Automatic Skill is always in effect than I would interpret this to mean that an Automatic Skill like Prysm's Pulsing Light occurs simultaneously with the very beginning of an Activation. The first page of the Reference Guide states that a restriction takes precedence. So even if one allows playing Tactics to remove the Taunt, "Pulsing Light" was already in effect at the very start of the Activation before Tactics cards could even be played.

20. Plebian

Plebian Well-Known Member

D
    During the preparation step there is no energy to make an attack, so no pulsing light.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation