1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Odalisque?

Discussion in 'Haqqislam' started by Skjarr, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Skjarr

Skjarr EI Mouthpiece

This has come to my attention. Could this mean QK are getting some love or maybe the starter is getting shelved?

Attached Files:

2. Papa Bey

Papa Bey Clueless Wonder. Still.

The entire sectorial is being retired. It's the parting gift a la Chausser...

Zewrath, xagroth and Alkasyn like this.
  3. Skjarr

Skjarr EI Mouthpiece

It wouldn't surprise me if it goes the way of MRRF. It's thing of having loads of Mercs has kind of been stolen by NA2.

4. Papa Bey

That's ok. Those Mercs stole plenty of regulars. :/

5. Geodron

Geodron Well-Known Member

I've got some theories.

1. It is a parting gift.
    2. Some of QK is going to get rolled into NA2 next year as part of the big event. The sectorial is decommissioned and the rest gets repurposed.
    3. QK actually plays a big role next year and this model is either the beginning or part of a new starter.

Personally, with my RTF bias, I wouldn't be mad if odalisques and djanzaban find a home in RTF.

6. Palomides

Palomides Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a parting gift. They've been going through and updating the Haqqislam range for awhile now and it's time to update this fairly iconic, but somewhat dated, sculpt. I think the change is long overdue, personally. The Odalisque profiles look lovely, but I've never dug the models (except for those of our one and only @Danger Rose).

QK may lose some mercs, although I doubt it, but it's still pretty unique and competitive with Hafza links, Janissary pain trains, and plenty of Haris options. As much as I might like some of its units to transition to RTF, that seems exceedingly unlikely.

Melchior and Danger Rose like this.
  7. Agorapocalypse

Agorapocalypse Namurr and Nahab are girlfriends

Personally i think its cause Rama isnt until adepticon next year with IA being in January, so they are updating any non N3 sculpts left so that we get a little something here and there until Rama is dropped fully. Also if thats true that they are a part of the huge adepticon reveal, im going to make a guess that Haqq will make a play to become number 2 power in the sphere with yu jing currently in their weakened state.

Melchior likes this.
  8. HowardDeanFan

HowardDeanFan Member

This may be wishful thinking but I feel like the fact that the Sniper Rifle Djanbazan wasn't part of the Box set or released separately by now points to the idea of a new QK starter coming out eventually.

Maybe Odalisque with a Spitfire isn't part of that new box set and they just want to put it out there because they don't plan on doing a whole new Odalisque box anytime soon.

Who knows. I would figure, if QK was going to transition into an N2 list, it would have happened with JSA and the new bookthough.

Myomer likes this.
  9. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

I've heard such voices, and it isn't impossible. Regardless of how much I dislike the idea. Heavens, MRRF got their sabbatical* on the eve of Ariadna getting their 4th sectorial (TAK). The only other army with that many sectorials is currently PanOceania.

Well then, perhaps it is time for us QK to take a sabbatical. Can't say I like it, but on the other hand, it isn't going to affect me much: I have essentially everything I wanted for this sectorial save for Joe Turner... and my FLGS is currently in the process of getting him for me. Sure, the models are mostly 2ed-era, but I don't feel the need to have only the newest sculpts.
    I mean, my original Spitfire Odalisque is just fine. I won't be dumping her in favour of her younger sister!

Also, even if the Qapu Khalqi goes on a sabbatical, some of its models will remain available - they have to, as they are part of other armies. Ghilim (HB & RTF), Druze (DBS & Ikari), Al-Waziri & Mobile Brigada (CJC & StarCo), Bashi Bazouk (Ikari & DBS), both our TAGs (CJC / DBS), perhaps also al'Hawwa (StarCo) & Yuan Yuan (Ikari).
    There's also word about an Arabic-themed merc company including Kaplan Tactical Services, so once that is released, KTS will have a home too (and who knows, there may be a few other units that show up there with them!).
    Yes, many of our troops (Hafzas, Odalisques, Djanbazan, Sekban, Janissaries, Azra'il and, for the time being, KTS) would be likely falling out of circulation.

But even in case of such a sad event as QK taking a sabbatical (and remember, fluff-wise it would take a much bigger event** than the destruction of De Hell Group to cripple the Qapu Khalqi Armada to the point where we'd have to retire to our home bases and lick our wounds, Guardians of the Gate are a large, diverse organization dispersed among many installations in the Human Sphere!), the gates of Bouraq still have to be guarded. The Silk must still flow.
    We will still be needed, o brothers. We will not be forgotten. So - do not lose faith.

* after all, it is not that the sectorial is not playable anymore. Simply no models are produced for it anymore - and even that is, in a long perspective, a transitory state of affairs. They will be back in circulation in a few years, at least that's how I understeand it!

** I guess a Shasvasti infiltration could, perhaps, do. But it would need to be a massive one to warrant even a partial dissolution of the QK.

Ixidro likes this.
  10. Alkasyn

Alkasyn Well-Known Member

Bye-bye QK, you got ugly as the time went by. Time for a well-deserved leave.

11. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

QK is definitely not getting retired, where's all this daftness coming from? It needs resculpts of Odalisques, KTS, Hafza and Al'Hawwa but other than that is in fine shape and is a competitive, capable Sectoral indeed.

A QK starter with three Hafza (Rifle, Spitfire HRL) , a Jannissary AP Rifle, an Al'Hawwa and I dunno, a KTS. Then a KTS box, Odalisque box, an al'Hawwa blister and you're pretty much sorted with this new Odalisque too.

Melchior, Hey Yella, Myomer and 2 others like this.
  12. Ursun

Ursun Tough as Nails, Grim as Old Boots

I´m not sure if any of those things has anything to do with a sectorial getting the axe, I mean, they said they need to make space, and the theme of QK has been taken over by NA2(mixed and felxible links, lots of mercs), the sectorial has basically all the releases it needed and there is at least one new haqq Sectorial in the pipeline, so there are as many pro arguments as there are against QK being retired.
    And we don´t even have a clear picture on how much it is planned in army, played and bought.

Papa Bey likes this.
  13. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

Does any NA2 Sectoral have Hafza, Jannissaries, Djanbazan, KTS, Odalisques? The Hafza in core and haris teams is a level of flexibility that is almost unmatched in the game, it's still a very unique and flexible Sectoral.

And more than that, a Sectoral is defined as more than how it plays on the table. It's a core Sectoral for a main and well supported faction that is about to get a new release, there's been no word from any actual source that QK are going to get "the MRRF treatment," just baseless hand-wringing that's turned into a forum rumour off the back of precisely nothing.

Myomer likes this.
  14. Ursun

Ursun Tough as Nails, Grim as Old Boots

And no other Sectorial had any MRRF Unit, so whats the point there?
    The basic thing that made QK great when it came out was the amount and flexibility of its links.
    Both of which have been immitated, distributed or even surpassed by other armies.
    Sure, the Hafza Glue is still unique, but only by a small margin, as there are other models in other sectorial who can join different linkteams, not to the extend a Hafza can, but still.

And MRRF was "a core Sectoral for a main and well supported faction that is about to get a new release" as well, so also, whats the point?

While I agree that there is no evidence for QK getting axed, baseless speculation is always baseless untill proven and aprecedent is always established with the first instance it appears, so, yeah, we´ll see when we see, and until then, "PANIC ON" I guess?

Papa Bey likes this.
  15. TenNoBushi

TenNoBushi Well-Known Member

I'm not sure CB would remove recent digital sculpts (Djanbazans, Azra'il, Jannissaries) unless they sell very poorly, and several troops are shared with other armies (Druzes, Bashi Bazouks, Al Hawwa, Yuan Yuan, Nomads...).

They can remove the older sculpt tho (the non digital ones). That would save about 8 SKU. But again, it's more a question of sales.

And if the problem is only to save SKU (I think, it's not) you can also do something like that:

1 New Starter: 3 Hafza (Rifle, HRL, Spitfire), 1 Jannissary AP Rifle, 1 Djanbazan Sniper, 1 Sekban HRL.
    => Remove Hafza Spitfire, Djanbazan Sniper and Sekban HRL blisters.
    Anyway, even without doing a new starter you can remove 2 of those SKU that are already in the existing one.
    1 Repack box with both Azra'il.
    1 Repack blister with both Bashi Bazouk (or make a 3rd one and make a box of them latter).

That would save 5 SKU.
    And you can also make new boxes of Odalisques and Sekban to totally renew the sectorial sculpts (but that doesn't change the SKU).
    You could also put the HMG Jannissary in the Jannissaries box to save 1 SKU, but I think it's more problematic.

I think KTS would have to wait, in order to see if they can be in another Army.

#15 TenNoBushi, Sep 8, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    emperorsaistone likes this.
  16. Geodron

Geodron Well-Known Member

Next year sounds space oriented to me so far. So I'm not sure QK is going to be entirely axed. I can see things like Sekban being decommissioned however. But seeing as QK is basically a NA2 sectorial inside Haqqislam I think changes might get made moving forward no matter what.

How many sectorials have units straight up from another faction on the level QK does and they are not Aleph? QK is pretty much Starco or Ikari.

17. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

Ugly?
    :speak_no_evil:Man, look into the mirror sometimes:speak_no_evil:

;)

As I wrote, I can get behind QK taking a sabbatical. I can accept it. I can live with it (until the update, that is!).
    But it is my first, most liked faction, one I'm the most invested into emotionally, so don't even think I'm going to be happy about that! :skull_and_crossbones:

Devrailis, Ariwch and Alkasyn like this.
  18. Papa Bey

Wow. I make a dark and somewhat bitter comment and all this spills out.

Merrovingia (sp?) gets retired. I can run down the laundry list of known reasons, but eh. It happened and I agree with the business decision based on the aforementioned reasons. After all, _I_ don't play them, eh? But at the very very end, they release a spiffy new model that those players had been begging for for what? 5 years? 7? Thanks for the parting gift I guess would have been my reaction.

On to a couple other things that have floated up in the misdirection of the thread thanks to me. Sorry 'bout that.

Retirement only means that CB is done with it, they've exhausted the story they have to tell, squeezed all the theme out of it. At some point it will have to happen. Apparently the catalog needs to be contained and Corvus Belli is on record of needing to do so. I present the following quote from https://www.infinitythegame.com/blog/news/item/514-the-most-epic-battle-of-merovingia

"We have arrived at a new stage in the game of Infinity, which will include the arrival of new armies, each and every one of them linked to the evolution of the game. To help showcase the appearance of our products in stores, the launching of new armies will result in the withdrawal of older products from our catalog."

And her spitfire is way too small!

19. Palomides

Palomides Well-Known Member

It's important to clarify that we are talking about two separate things.

1.) Retirement a la MRRF. This means no new sculpts, a small profile adjustment, and then a pause on production.

This certainly could happen, although I think it is unlikely. QK is relatively complete, remains competitive, and has a strong, unique flavor. There's no need to keep producing them, although I certainly wouldn't turn up my nose at updating the older sculpts (as they have been to HB.) They did just redo Djanbazan and Janissaries, so the Odalisque could easily be part of that same process.

2.) Removal a la JSA. QK becomes a NA2 sectorial and Haqqislam loses a bunch of units / profiles.

This seems far less likely to me. QK is integrated into Haqqislam than JSA was into Yu Jing with both fluff and mechanics. Janissaries, Sekban, and Hafza aren't disgruntled, occupied, second class citizens. They are our professional military.

Kyre likes this.
  20. Shoitaan

Shoitaan Well-Known Member

Given that CB has confirmed that there's going to be a rolling hiatus going, QK to me is unfortunately near the top of the grey list.

PanO is too popular. MO probably needs a retirement but given the popularity, wont happen. Acontimento might explode however...
    YJ has nothing to cut.
    Nomads... not sure actually. Bakunin and Corregidor both have old sculpts but they seem too popular to retire. Just hard for me to imagine anything ice storm going to the retirement home.
    Ariadna has already received bloodletting but Caledonia is a possibility although unlikely
    For the aliens, CA already has 1 sectorial in an MRRF-like state and Tohaa has nothing to lose. They could just retired the morats for a while though. Its always going to be easier to retire sectorials with less players and Onyx would have been quite popular given the 300pt box.

That leaves Haqq with QK the most likely contender for a trip to Shady Palms right?

Whether they'll pull a poorly done narrative reason out of their butt like they did for MRRF or they'll just tell the customers that no update for 3 years and leave it is yet to be seen...

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation