1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Varuna speculation

Discussion in 'PanOceania' started by Wombat85, Feb 18, 2018.

1. kanluwen

kanluwen Well-Known Member

The whole Marauder box is male so that's a bit of a wash.

Also, see again: recent.

It might be a petty distinction but I'm still just confused as to why we're seeing so many female snipers again.

2. barakiel

barakiel Echo Bravo Master Sergeant

Hey, new tech gets released all the time, if we want to talk about lore justifications for why there's a new Fuerbach sculpt. Teucer's been active in the field for a long time, but maybe this is a brand new design that hasn't reached him yet. Or maybe the rail-based Fuerbach is more reliable for the types of operations Teucer conducts. Maybe Teucer declined to use the new one because the ammunition is harder to source, which makes it more difficult to acquire reloads when he's operating in the field, but this wouldn't be a problem for a fixed Counter-insurgency force operating on their home planet where supply chains and logistics are not a concern at all. Maybe Teucer wanted to use the more generic option because it's easier to keep it disavowable, whereas the new rifle version is so high-tech that using it is entirely too distinctive.

There's plenty of ways to spin it I suppose. But at the end of the day, the idea of that thing spitting out tank-busting ammunition is really high-tech. I'm a fan.

I actually was messing around playing Tunguska last night, and was absolutely sold on how effective the Fuerbach is in a link team. Really hoping the ORC gets some halfway-decent linkability to let him use this profile.

#822 barakiel, Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  3. barakiel

Off the top of my head... Moderators. Alguaciles. Zhanshi. Upcoming Celestial Guard all have male snipers.

AdmiralJCJF and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  4. Cartographer

Cartographer Well-Known Member

Well since you asked:
    Blackjack sniper is likely male
    Zanshi sniper is male
    Moderator sniper is male
    Yaogat sniper is male
    Kaauri... your guess is as good as mine

Certainly there seem to be more female snipers of late than male, but it's not completely one way.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  5. kanluwen

Since the caveat of "recent" seems to mean nothing(Blackjack sniper, Yaogat, Kaauri aren't exactly "recent" and Yaogat is a bit of a weird situation, same as Kaauri):
    Grunts--Female
    Bolts--Female
    Fusilier--Female
    Regular--Female
    Intruder from Beyond Icestorm--Female
    Bagh-Mari--Female
    Guilang from Beyond Red Veil--Female
    Tuareg--Female
    Govad--Female
    Maakrep Tracker--Female

Upcoming:
    Naga Sniper--Female
    Line Kazak Sniper--Female
    Kamau Sniper--Female

Those are pretty hefty numbers tilting one way. It gets even funkier if you open it up to Marksman Rifles though, as that brings another few in.

Sorry for the off-topicness with this bit. Just something that's been needling away at my brain of late.

Hopefully the model is in the vein of the Naga or Intruder. Those two are fantastic sculpts--the Regular and Bagh-Mari are meeeeeeeeeeh.

6. gregmurdock

gregmurdock Extremely Beloved Member

TEUCER RESCULPT NOOWW:grimacing::grin::grimacing::grin:

I do not care for the Bagh. The Hacker was definitely designed first. I like the Regular cause it has some visual impact for the Sapper skill

7. barakiel

For Infinity, I'd define "recent" in the same way I'd define "current"... Done in the era of 3d/CAD sculpting. It's a pretty distinctive epoch to mark the current approach to sculpting. "Recent" is an arbitrary term, but I wouldn't characterize something like Fusiliers as being old or out-of-date despite the fact that Ice Storm came out a while ago.

I was hoping we'd see the Cobra Zulu on display. I'm hoping his pose or render details will tell us a bit more about what to expect from his ruleset. I'm really glad that NOVA gave us these details though. I wonder if we'll see some Varuna original art. I think we've seen two or three now for Invincible Army. I'd love a "group shot" like the TJC or IA ones.

AdmiralJCJF, chaos11 and TaHu like this.
  8. Riquende

Riquende Well-Known Member

Oh you guys. It's easy enough... buy the ORC Feuerbach and snip the gun all the way back to the standard PanO magazine point, then buy the Azra'il Feuerbach and pin the barrel onto that bad boy. You get a fancy Feuerbach-lookin' gun, CB gets double the money per ORC sold. Everyone's a winner...

barakiel and Mirodasc like this.
  9. kanluwen

Teucer's still missing a sculpt for his K1 Sniper Rifle, so maybe he'll get a resculpt as part of it?
    The Regular doesn't have anything near as good as the one she's replaced. Also pigtails coming out of a helmet should have been ignored as a concept from day one.

The Bagh is a perfect example of why they need to add alternate arms to boxes, so that you can spread that pose around a bit more.
    Personally, I'm using "recent" to refer to anything that has come out since the Beyond boxes. I probably should have quantified that but I figured people wouldn't use releases from 2016 or so.

I wouldn't say Fusiliers or the like are "out-of-date" but they really aren't a "recent" release.
    I'm thinking he'll be a Heckler equivalent.

10. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

Not a fan of the ORC, ah well

11. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Really wish they would have kept the railbarrel from the Azrail and Teucer. It's just a consistency thing, though I do have a spare old Azrail I can sacrifice.

Stiopa likes this.
  12. Ayadan

Ayadan Knight of the TAG Order

Well, the design reminds me the antitank rifles used during the WWII but with a way more modern look. This is to be compared to the ariadnan autocannon. Less punch but way easier to carry and use. And I like the fact that the rifle-like shape hides a powerful antiarmour weapon.

13. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

Yes, because many islands in the pacific are covered in tropical jungles, namely the phillipines from which teh tikbalang draws ints name and design.

Seeing as Varuna is an Expy of the pacific, the Oceania in PanOceania, I can see it being there very easily.

Nemo No Name likes this.
  14. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Agreed.

15. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

Personally I expect Teucer to use the Feuerbach with marginally better sniping characteristics.

The kind of thing that makes no difference on the tabletop, but that elite marksman in the real world care about.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation