1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cork board terrain

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by Marc C, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Marc C

Marc C Cardboard Hero

Made these for another game but realized afterwards that they could be useful for Infinity. Hexagones are 1.75" in diameter.

Rock formation #1
    [​IMG]

Painted
    [​IMG]

______________________________________________________________________________
    Rock formation #2
    [​IMG]

Painted
    [​IMG]

2. Marc C

Marc C Cardboard Hero

Today's batch. Less spectacular. I called them connectors.
    They will allow me to do larger formations or fractal style sprawling formations

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

Looks interesting though I guess it's better suited for something like battletech. Still playing infinity on a board like that would be fun.

4. Niebieskooki

Niebieskooki Blue Sun Lieutenant

Do you any particular way of making them or just cut them out from cork board?

5. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

They can look as a garden. Add a block with pond at the botom and cascade feeding it. Nobody will notice it's Battletechish then, just a garden decorator obsessed with hexagon concrete.

jherazob likes this.
  6. Marc C

Marc C Cardboard Hero

I start with a cardboard cut out of the bottom shape. Then I cut the shapes in cork board. I use carpenter glue. One coat of gray primer. Then one coat of medium gray hihlights of light gray. I use brown ink the dirty them up.

jherazob likes this.
  7. Marc C

Marc C Cardboard Hero

Yes I was also thinking of a hex garden with water feature in the middle of an urban setting. A full table with wild vegetation would also look good I think. Hex shape rocks appear naturaly on Earth. Its just not very common.

jherazob and chromedog like this.
  8. Del S

Del S Tunguskaball

They do have a sort of urban art/beautification installation vibe to them...

9. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

Basalt forms hexagonal pillar structures - It is the nature of basaltic lava cooling that allows this to happen: this lava is hotter and moves faster than other kinds. As it cools from the bottom up and from the center outward, long fractures form columns that at times take on astoundingly clear-cut hexagons. The whole process is called columnar jointing.
    The Giant's causeway is probably one of the most famous structures formed from it.
    [​IMG]

There's also "Fingal's cave" on the Scottish isle of Staffa.
    [​IMG]

They're the results of old volcanic activity when they form naturally.

Depending on the hex size, though, they might be of use in a custom aristeia arena ...

10. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

@chromedog beat me to it, but columnar basalt is very common where I live. You usually don't get 5+ft wide columns, though, so going for a more 'concrete' look would be more reasonable. I think the biggest basalt hex I've seen is about a foot wide, and most are more like 6" across the flats.

Then again, I live ~350miles west of Yellowstone, in the path of the old supervolcano flows. Craters of the Moon is the last time Yellowstone's hot spot erupted, and that's ~200 miles east of me. All sorts of interesting geology where I live.

11. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Day in, Day out. Day in, Day out. Day in, DAY OUT

You'll be near-ish to the Channeled Scablands too. A bit of trivia. The English Channel was formed by a similar process, although the Channel was formed by one incident. The scablands were formed by multiple events. Fascinating geology/geography.

Seeing the Giant's Causeway always reminds me about that strange Led Zeppelin album cover for Houses of the Holy.

Very cool stuff Marc. Are you going to make some that are more linear? perhaps to be used as walls for ad hoc buildings? It could produce a very neat effect.

Marc C and jherazob like this.
  12. Marc C

Marc C Cardboard Hero

Hadn't thought of it that way but now that you mention it.... :clap:

13. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Channeled Scablands are in eastern Washington state, about 350 miles north of me. Lots of columnar basalt formations up there, too. Pretty amazing what happens when you get a couple cubic miles of water suddenly rampaging through the place. Makes Hercules cleaning the stables look like a garden hose!

jherazob likes this.
  14. Brother Smoke

Brother Smoke Bureau Trimurti Representative

These are super cool

However I can't help but think they should be used in a theme board for a Bakunin module where they worship bees

15. andre61

andre61 Well-Known Member

Very cool ideal

Marc C likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation