1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friendly troops moving through camo

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Icchan, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Icchan

Icchan Well-Known Member

Is camo state canceled if a friendly troop moves through it? Is it even allowed to move through your own camo markers? Or vice versa, are camo markers revealed when they move through friendly troops?

Relevant sections from camo state cancellation:
    - Troopers cannot enter base to base contact with a Camouflage Marker
    - A trooper's Camouflaged state is canceled, and its Marker replaced by its model, whenever:
    - The Camouflaged trooper enters base to base contact with a model.

Doesn't seem to care if it's a friendly or enemy model/troop.

2. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

Hm. I don't think you can move through them because that means you'll be entering B2B at some point which is forbidden regardless of whether it's friend or foe, I think.

The last quoted clause can still be used when marker itself moves into B2B.

Icchan likes this.
  3. macfergusson

macfergusson Van Zant is my spirit animal.

4. Ginrei

Ginrei Well-Known Member

EDIT: NVM

#4 Ginrei, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  5. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

I think you got that backwards. Markers can be troopers, but a marker is not a trooper if what's underneath it is not a trooper - unless it's a matter of perspective (see a relevant FAQ below). Markers are only troopers if there is a trooper hiding under it. While your reference solves some problems (and creates a race condition for what is more specific), you would still not be allowed to move into base to base with a friendly marker masking a mine. (IMHO this mechanic is weird and probably unintentional)

N3 Frequently Asked Question Updated: 1.1
    Q: Can a Camouflage Marker prevent that an enemy trooper from reverting to the Camouflaged state? If the Camouflage Marker were a Mine, would prevent it too?
    A: Yes, no matter if it is a Mine or a real trooper, as the Camouflage trooper trying to Camouflage again doesn’t know.
    Related Pages: Camouflage, Camouflaged, Mine

pakohbadajoz likes this.
  6. macfergusson

There's nothing backwards about what I said. A trooper can be either a model or a marker. If we're not talking about troopers but equipment that's a different question that wasn't brought up by the original post.

Besides which, I don't think there's any conflict here. You can PASS OVER a friendly camo marker of same or lesser silhouette (per general movement rules), you simply can't be in BASE TO BASE with a camo marker (per camo rules). Meaning, even if you temporarily occupy the same space while moving through, you still don't count as base to base.

toadchild likes this.
  7. kinginyellow

kinginyellow Well-Known Member

You cannot walk over a mine (camo or not) as it is not a friendly trooper.

The problem with walking over a friendly camo'd trooper is that you cannot enter btb with a camo marker. If you started in btb with it, then sure. But otherwise you cannot.

8. Mahtamori

Sorry, I misinterpreted what you wrote.

I'm not sure that being base to base is selective in such a way. If it was, there would be nothing preventing you from simply walking over an enemy trooper by declaring "I'm walking past, but not touching bases".

9. Ginrei

Ginrei Well-Known Member

It would be very strange if you couldn't pass through or be in base to base with your own camo markers. Troopers clearly know when a camo marker is an ally and vice versa.

10. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

It's going to be a (very low) obstacle to vault over rather than a trooper that you can walk 'through', but there's nothing in the rules that would stop you moving over it.

11. Ginrei

Ginrei Well-Known Member

MOVE: SCENERY AND ALLIED MODELS
    Any piece of scenery whose height be equal or inferior to the trooper's Silhouette Template does not block his Movement.
    By the way, allied troopers, and only allied, whose Silhouette Attribute be equal or inferior to the trooper's Silhouette Attribute does not block his Movement.

Uh oh... One rule says we can vault whatever is defined as an obstacle. Another mentions scenery. While a third implies we can't pass through enemy troopers but doesn't explicitly say that.

12. ijw

Could you explain what you think is a problem more clearly?

13. macfergusson

/shrug

Either it works my way, or the game breaks?

14. Mahtamori

Not really. Either it works your way and base to base becomes subjective or it doesn't work your way and nobody gets to move through camo markers regardless of alignment. I think neither is meant to be correct.

15. macfergusson

Except there is a rule that clearly indicates you can move through friendly troopers. Regardless of whether they are models or markers.

16. Mahtamori

And some of those markers clearly states you may not.

17. Ginrei

Ginrei Well-Known Member

I assume you're referring to my post. I'm saying the rules tell us 3 things outside the camo rules:
    1. Allies of equal silhouette size or smaller do no block movement.
    2. Scenery of equal silhouette size or smaller does no block movement.
    3. Obstacles of equal silhouette size or smaller do no block movement.
    Anyone know how Infinity defines an obstacle?

In terms of base to base during a movement. This rule seems relevant:
    • A trooper's Movement ends automatically whenever he enters base to base contact with an enemy, even if the movement route specified is cut short as a result.
    That seems to imply base to base contact occurs if your movement path touches another base.

So the definition of 'obstacle' is irrelevant in terms of enemy troopers as the rules cover what happens when you come into contact with an enemy. And markers have their own rules regarding movement. Saying troopers can't move base to base with markers. Which contradicts the movement rules(assuming markers are allied troopers) meaning troopers can't move through allied markers. Is that the way it's meant to be played?

18. ambisinister

ambisinister Broken Zoetrope

What if we look at the inverse? How do people play this: A S2 Camo Marker moves through a friendly trooper. We know it’s movement is not blocked because of the movement rules, but is it revealed? Bullet point three under cancaellation clauses states: The camoflaged trooper enters base to base contact with a model.

Mahtamori and Ginrei like this.
  19. kinginyellow

kinginyellow Well-Known Member

Where is equipment defined as obstacle? Are troopers also obstacles? Why is one an obstacle and not the other?

I dont think equipment or people qualify. If they both do, then:

1) you can only walk through a mine that was placed down beside yourself (you never entered btb with it). But still not walk into btb with one (can not enter btb with a camo marker)

2) it means that you can use friendly models to boost yourself to higher elevation, effectively eliminating the need to climb certain 1 story buildings (have not measured it out, but will be close I expect).

20. ijw

'Obstacle' is not an Infinity-specific term, it's just the normal usage of the word.

So it's anything that's in the way, unless the rules say otherwise. The rules give three exceptions:
    1. Allies of equal of lower Silhouette Attribute.
    2. Enemy troopers (because contact stops movement).
    3. Camo/TO Camo markers (because you're not allowed to enter base contact).
    Anything remaining is going to be an obstacle and can be traversed by 'vaulting' if it's lower than the height of the trooper's Silhouette. So it's not going to matter if that obstacle is scenery, friendly equipment, enemy equipment etc, just that it's not one of those three exceptions.

Robock likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation