1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Board Gams!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic English' started by Flipswitch, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Aspect Graviton

Aspect Graviton Friendly Alien Overlord
    Warcor

I purposely omitted the cards, both in my statement and my games *shudder*. I only played the last edition, but the thing that really slowed the game was the basically spending each models 'order' in a unit and the individual targeting allowing you to just shoot the heavy weapons until somebody failed a pick up the gun roll, just became a soul sucking time drain. I also played cyber who appeared to be quite good but were also massively character and energy dependant but not in an intentional game design way. Lots of stuff that that was extremely good but also some that was just absolute poorly designed tat "would you like to pay half the squads points again and lose X ability to get a 5% success rate saving throw?". The starter box games were just about the only game you could play in a sensible time or sense of balance, I got to use my eradicator droid once in anger.

xagroth likes this.
  2. Pierzasty

Pierzasty Null-Space Entity

We had a thriving Warzone community here in Poland (thriving as in regular plays of 3ed and a fanmade 4ed that was apparently very well polished and got a lot of playtime as well). Unfortunately WZR seems to have killed it because on the one hand there were new minis having 2 decades of technical improvement behind them, OTOH the game itself was an unbalanced mess with a thin veneer of "muh perfect imbalance design" over what was basically buy more new shit. It wasn't popular after the first hype passed and people started seeing flaws.

xagroth likes this.
  3. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

I've played a bit of the old version of the Batman Minis Game, it's pretty fun. The different models of the same character have different stats. Dark Knight Rises Bats is different than Frank Miller Bats is different than Bats v Supes. The game does need a lot of terrain, though. Almost as bad as Infinity, but since it's played on a 3x3 only about half as much terrain. 4 big buildings, instead of 9, for example.

Has anyone played Captain, Sonar? It's a game of 2 teams trying to find each other's submarine.

4. Flipswitch

Flipswitch Sepsitorised by Intent

Captain Sonar is amazing, my only issue is it functions best with 8 players and its a nightmare to get that many people in! I think you'd love it. There is a family version called Sonar, needs less players and is aimed at a more causal audience.

Check out UBOOT;

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/219100/uboot-board-game

Also I got Jump-Jetted Dire Laser'd :(

5. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

I had a ton of fun with this game as well. You can feasibly do it with 6 (Captian and First Officer position together), but that's still a lot of people to bring together. Stress levels go through the roof when you hear the opposing Radio Operator say, "I've got 'em..."

Section9 and Abrilete like this.
  6. Flipswitch

Yeah, we play Space Alert for our stress injection game, but I really love me some Captain Sonar.

Section9 and Pierzasty like this.
  7. Flipswitch

FUCK there's an expansion for GKR coming into my LGS,

It's also £58 for me, looks like im getting more big robbits

8. leigen_zero

leigen_zero Morat Pacifist

I think our greatest space alert achievement was when we managed to get hit by the space ameoba, then fire at it with unloaded cannons, then finally loading all the power cells into the guns after we had already shot at it...

9. Section9

Awesome, thank you both!

Guess I will be getting Captain Sonar soon(tm).

Flipswitch and Pierzasty like this.
  10. Flipswitch

Aw shit, my LGS just got Gloomhaven back in.

Fuuuuuck I don't have time or money for this.

11. Xeurian

Xeurian Well-Known Member

I hope you don't have PanO levels of WIP.

oldGregg and jherazob like this.
  12. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

Anyone played Escape the Dark Castle?

13. Flipswitch

they were my first army, rip flip

jherazob and Solar like this.
  14. Section9

*plays Last Post for flip's bank account*

15. oldGregg

oldGregg Well-Known Member

Well, I’ve finally gotten the chance to get a bunch of Blood Red Skies games under my belt. I’ve gotta say I really really enjoy it. Love the mechanics and haven’t ever played anything quite like it.

16. Tom McTrouble

Tom McTrouble Well-Known Member

I'm considering asking for this on my wedding registry. Otherwise yea, there's no way.

17. Shoitaan

Shoitaan Well-Known Member

Finally got a chance to open and play Photosynthesis a bunch of times over the weekend now that we've celebrated the wifes birthday. Can't recommend it enough to players that enjoy deep thought strategy games and dicking each other over. The box and components make you think this game is fairly chill and it may be the first couple of times as you're learning to play. But when everyone knows the rules and you've only got the endgame score in mind, it can be quite cutthroat - which is AWESOME. Highly recommended for lovers of games like Santorini and basic abstract games like Go. Tremendous room of strategy and planning.

I honestly don't understand why it's not rated higher on BGG (except maybe that BGG raters typically tend to be entitled neckbeards with very specific tastes and strong opinions)...

Abrilete and oldGregg like this.
  18. Pierzasty

I just got my Gloomhaven. The box is heavy enough to generate its own noticeable gravity field.

19. Flipswitch

noodle arms

20. Pierzasty

~~~('_'~~~)

jherazob and Flipswitch like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation