1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Minelayer useless?

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Hecaton, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

We know from last year's Interplanetario that what combat group a camo token is part of is public information. Given this, and that mines are not troopers and thus presumably don't belong to any combat troop, how does one keep the identity of mines hidden?

2. freefall357

freefall357 Active Member

You could place the camo token and declare it is a mine and it would still not be useless.
    To your point though, I imagine most will be fine with saying that token is part of it's deploying model's group and the rest of the people will wait for a faq stating that same thing.

3. Hecaton

That's just houseruling. Is the FAQ even planning on addressing something like this?

4. Make PanO Great Again :P

Make PanO Great Again :P Varuna, with the deadliest reptiles in the sphere

You can ask for the silhouette of a camo token, so the mine is always known to be a mine, its not meant to be part of the camo shell game anymore, just an awesome defense against first turn alpha.

5. yossarian78

yossarian78 Member

A mine in camo is S2 (pg175) so the silhouette is the same as most models. Besides there are profiles like minelayer Nagas where combat group does not matter.

6. Make PanO Great Again :P

Well, the wikia says S0, and they are updated (have no idea when it changed but it makes sense)

http://infinitythewiki.com/en/Mines

#6 Make PanO Great Again :P, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  7. yossarian78

yossarian78 Member

Mines are S0 once revealed so the wiki is correct. However deployables, including mines, are S2 when in the camo state. It preserves the shell game a bit.

8. Make PanO Great Again :P

Interesting, its in the camo rules and not in the weapons rules or descriptions, sad that in PanO the shell game with normal camo is in-existent

9. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

Laying a mine during a game after deployment isn't, exactly, going to confuse anyone. It's about as concealing as a 32/1.5 PT/SWC hole in an Onyx list.

Getting to lay down a mine (or repeater!) before anyone even spends an order is a pretty big bonus in-and-of itself.

#9 Sabin76, Dec 5, 2017
  10. freefall357

freefall357 Active Member

I know, but I am guessing that is the direction it will go with only ruleslawyers waiting for a faq. Either way, it is the camo marker state and order trade-off that makes it worthwhile, not so much the "is it a mine or a model with a gun?"

11. Hecaton

The "shell game" of it has been traditionally part of how it's played. Is it a Chasseur or just one of their mines? Popping around the corner could have dire consequences if you guess wrong...

And we kind of have to rules lawyer this game, considering that it's written so fuzzily a court full of cunning theologians would have a hard time divining the correct meaning of it. And the particulars can have pretty significant outcomes on the way a game plays out. As it stands, toss it in the pile of the list of things that a TO has to make a decision on at the start of a tournament.

#11 Hecaton, Dec 5, 2017
  12. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

We do?

Keyrott, Phlyk, chromedog and 5 others like this.
  13. C0MR4DE

C0MR4DE Malfunctioning Unidron

I think
    It was a nasty moment.... :(

14. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

Let's read it in another way...
    Do we had a confirmation that this is the way to treat Camo Private Info? Because it is not what the rules say.
    It could have been a blatant error like anyone could have done.

15. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

From what I heard, there was a "hastily assembled FAQ handed out to judges" of which contents no one knew about. Like how a remote presence TAG touching a console in the ITS scenarios that required it (there was one in the Interplanetario's program) is controling said console even when in Locked status (due to the disembarked Remote Pilot).

Me, I simply never cared that much about competitive gaming in Infinity, and things like this (last minute FAQ for judges only) make me loathe it.

Also, seeing how even 400km of distance generates totally different "rules interpretations" says it all about clarity. And I'm talking about Spain there, not even about translations...

toadchild likes this.
  16. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

I'm not aware of a FAQ being handed out to judges, just a declaration at the start of the event that G:Synch and G:Servant troopers couldn't interact with Panoplies. :(

As far as the RP TAG goes that's correct as Locked isn't a Null state.

Phlyk and chromedog like this.
  17. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Yep, it was the example I was given. Anyway, my issue is a lack of consistency and good communications, the only thing waiting to happen is a "we make miniatures, not games" declaration...

18. Wyrmnax

Wyrmnax Well-Known Member

Consider this: You spend 0.5 SWC to do a action that would require at least 2 orders during normal gameplay ( deploying a mine and moving/recamoing the miner)

Even if it is obvious which marker is a mine, it is still a obstacle that must be dealt with if placed correctly.

19. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

There are also TO and AD troops, and the game of "which camo explodes, and which does not". A lot of the times you need to discover, and even discovering is useless: on my last tournament, the obvious Nomad Lt was a dirt-hugging (prone XD) Interventor with a Camo marker by her side, in a terrace not wide enough to allow for any kind of AD landing, meaning my options as an Aleph player to take down that one were hacking (and I had no KHD, while he had 2 H+, 1H and 1 AH) or a superjumping Ekdromoi who would make a jump+dodge/jump+suicide attack agaist her facing (and there were 3 possible Aerotransport hacking). Obviously, the camo was a Mine, so no way to take it out since the railing provided cover.

20. Hecaton

It was how it was ruled, so...

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation